Bellazon

Bianca Vierra
Thumbnail

Q&A: Meet Bianca Vierra, Miss High School America 2012

The 16-year-old James Logan High School junior was crowned last month.

Is there anything Bianca Vierra can’t do?

The 16-year-old James Logan High School junior is a model, a classical ballerina, an honor student, a member of the Interact Club, a track and field team captain and a volunteer assistant coach for the Special Olympics. On top of that, she’s also a volunteer at the Children’s Hospital in Oakland and a spokesperson for the Cancer Prevention Institute of California.

Last month, she added another item to her already lengthy and impressive resume.

Bianca was crowned Miss High School America 2012 on March 10 in San Antonio, Texas, taking the title among a national pool of talented teens.

According to Miss High School America Director Amanda Patterson, Bianca — who also held the title of Miss Teenage California 2011 and Miss Teen Hayward — was selected because she’s bright, articulate and dedicated community volunteer.

With Bianca’s new title comes a $10,000 college scholarship, a year traveling to promote the Miss High School America anti-bullying campaign and the honor of representing the U.S. in the Miss High School International pageant.

Look out world — Bianca’s coming for you!

Union City Patch checked in with our national treasure to learn more about her, her career and her future:

Patch: How did you get into modeling?

I love modeling! Modeling for an agency just came in my path and I decided to take the opportunity, just like pageants. I hope to pursue my modeling career further as I get older.

We hear stories — not always good ones — about the world of modeling and pageantry. What has your experience been? What are the most important things you've taken from it?

It is unfortunate that the world of modeling and pageantry is surrounded with negative ideas. Just like anything in life, it isn't a perfect world nor is it for the faint of heart. It definitely isn't as bad as most people think it is though! What people see on

and modeling isn't always the case and has definitely not been my experience.

The girls I meet at pageants are some of the most genuine and kind young women I have ever met, certainly not the typical shallow "Pageant Girls." Through both modeling and pageantry I've grown a tough skin. At the end of the day, the industry is not an easy one. You have to know that you won't always get the job or win and not take it personally.

When one door closes, I've always found that another opens.

What responsibilities does the title of Miss High School America come with?

As Miss High School America I will be spending my year traveling to different states and promoting different causes, especially our national platform The Crown C.A.R.E.S. (Creating a Respectful Environment in Schools). This program focuses on bullying in schools. I also get the opportunity to travel to our nation’s capitol and discuss bullying with legislators. In the summer of 2013 I will represent our nation at the Miss High School International pageant. I have a busy year ahead of me!

You volunteer, are active in sports and model. Why is it important to you to be involved in so many activities? And how the heck do you squeeze it all in?

I really enjoy being busy. Life is too short to not at least try everything I want to do! I truly love all the things I spend my time doing so I just make the time. It also helps to know that what I am doing now will benefit my future. Sometimes life gets a little crazy, but I am so blessed to have the family and friends that I do, that support me in all my endeavors.

What's your ultimate career/education goal? Where do you see yourself after high school?

After high school, you'll find me in college studying! I want to study international relations.

unionties

• 5 years later...
  • 9 months later...