Bellazon

Gail Elliott
Thumbnail

specdude

ExpatWomen's Interview with Gail

Yasmin Le Bon, Gail Elliott, Cindy Crawford

ExpatWomen: Gail, thank you very much for this interview opportunity, to share a little with our audience about your life as a celebrity expat. To be honest, we're not quite sure whether to start with your first expat experience as a model in Japan, your time strutting the global catwalks for famous designers, your achievement of gracing magazine covers such as Vogue, Bazaar and Elle, your current expat experiences sharing your time between Australia (Sydney) and the United States (New York), or the fact that fellow supermodels Cindy Crawford and Helena Christensen were bridesmaids at your wedding! So, let's start at the beginning ...

Can you please tell us where you were born, where you grew up, your family's heritage, and what you dreamt of being when you were a little girl?

Gail: I am British and was born and raised in London to an English-Portuguese / Anglo-Indian / Scots mother and Irish / Anglo-Indian father and as a little girl dreamt of becoming a ballet dancer, as most little girls do at some stage of their lives.

ExpatWomen: Can please you share with us why you moved to Japan to model, plus some of your memories from Japan – the good times and the bad - the challenges and the highlights?

Gail: I had been modeling in London for six months and a Japanese agent approached me to come to work in Tokyo under contract for 60 days. At first I was extremely lonely after having left my family in London to live alone in an apartment in Harajuku. When my 60 day contract was up and I was expecting to be paid and return to London, the agent gave me a list of expenses that I had to pay which included the return airfare to Tokyo, rent for my apartment, managers' fees, agency commission and a list of other fees I had not negotiated beforehand - I was only 17 years of age and didn't think to ask about any fees before I left London.

I was pretty upset at having worked so hard - sometimes three bookings ...like a magazine shoot, advertising booking and a TV commercial all in one day and being left with not the amount of money to bring home as I had expected, so I decided to change agents, renew my work visa in Hong Kong and stay in Tokyo for a further 60 days (which was the length of a working visa).

After living there for four months I finally began to enjoy Tokyo, making Japanese friends and starting to be able to speak the language. I was also able to fly my whole family out a couple of times and let my sister stay for three months. I ended up living in Tokyo for two years! This was an invaluable experience plus I'd travel every two months to renew my visa - to places such as Singapore, Macau, Guam, Siapan, Truck and Palauah (which are the Micronesian Islands) and many other exotic, beautiful locations. When I finally returned to London I stayed for just six months and moved to New York at age 19 and have been there ever since.

ExpatWomen: After Japan, you moved to New York. Of all the fashion capitals in the world, why did you choose New York and how long were you based there?

Gail: I chose New York because it's THE fashion capital of the world - I didn't think too much about it, I just went. I had been working in Japan for the past two years so I went to New York independent and able to support myself. I had a very good model portfolio and started working with the photographer Steven Meisel for Vogue Magazine, as well as all the talented and hot photographers of that time very soon after arriving. One of my proudest memories was getting the keys to the first apartment I bought at age 20 in the Gramercy Park area.

ExpatWomen: As a young expat model, did you find it as cu--throat and tough as they say it is? Apart from your amazing good looks, why do you think you succeeded in NY, where many other gorgeous models have failed?

Gail: Modeling isn't as cut throat and tough as they say it is, or at least it wasn't for me. Modeling isn't just about being pretty, it's about being photogenic, being "on" all the time for everyone you work with - you can't have grumpy days or show up late. Sure there are girls who do that but they're not respected and are regarded as a pain, they're no fun and are selfish. People would much rather work with someone professional, which is probably why I succeeded and still work, although occasionally now, as a model 25 years later.

ExpatWomen: You married an Australian and the two of you share homes in New York and Sydney. To the outsider, your fabulous gypsy-life continues. Where do you consider that you are really ‘at home' – the UK, Australia, the US, or all of the above?

Gail: I married a beautiful Australian man, Joe Coffey who I initially met when I was in Sydney on holiday one New Years Eve. I came with Helena Christensen who was then seeing Michael Hutchence. Michael and Joe were friends and we were introduced. Joe lived in New York for a while before I ran into him again - we spent twelve years in New York together before getting a home in Sydney so to him New York is also very much his home.

Wherever we are, we call home. When we're at our house in Sydney, that's our home. When we're at our house in the Hamptons, that feels like home too. But I guess when we're in New York City that feels the most familiar, or at least for me because I've lived there all of my adult life, for over 20 years. We travel constantly so even when we're in hotels we make ourselves feel at home. I am beginning to really enjoy Sydney now though - we have a great life there and have a lot of responsibility, with five Little Joe by Gail Elliott clothing stores in Australia, with our headquarters in Sydney.

ExpatWomen: These days, whilst still travelling the world for modeling assignments, you're invested your heart and soul into your fashion label Little Joe by Gail Elliott. A seemingly natural progression, from your many years in fashion, can you please tell us more about how the label came about, how the label is going, and what your vision is for the future of Little Joe?

Gail: I was lucky enough to work with all the incredibly talented designers – people like Versace, Armani, Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, Donna Karen, Ralph Lauren, John Galliano, Dolce & Gabbana, Karl Largerfeld - and probably every other designer you can think of. We did the shows for many years and every show needs fittings to size the outfits to your body. All those years of fittings taught me so much which is what I now apply to help me design my own Little Joe by Gail Elliott collections. The label started almost five years ago with six silk slip dress and camisoles in six colors and has grown to three collections a year, Spring/Summer - Fall/Winter and Resort. My husband and I are now business partners and have five Little Joe by Gail Elliott stores in Australia - three in Sydney and one each in Melbourne and Brisbane and plan to open two more by early next year, the first being in Perth. We also wholesale to 80 boutiques and department stores worldwide and have just launched our e-commerce store. By the end of next year, we plan to roll out stores across California.

ExpatWomen: Little Joe is based in Australia, with five stores on the eastern coast. How can women in other countries shop for some of your beautiful pieces?

Gail: www.LittleJoeNY.com

ExpatWomen: Thank you very much Gail. We wish you phenomenal ongoing success with your Little Joe by Gail Elliott fashion label.

To see some of Gail on the cover of Vogue, Elle, Marie-Claire and more, click here: http://www.littlejoeny.com/gailelliott

Gail: I am British and was born and raised in London to an English-Portuguese / Anglo-Indian / Scots mother and Irish / Anglo-Indian father and as a little girl dreamt of becoming a ballet dancer, as most little girls do at some stage of their lives.

http://www.littlejoeny.com/gailelliott

^This helps explain her unusual and gorgeous features. :blush:

from symkytkn:post-18834-0-1445988849-78793_thumb.jpgpost-18834-0-1445988849-8059_thumb.jpg

and from Omifan9...

post-18834-1211546447_thumb.jpg

post-18834-1211546457_thumb.jpg

post-18834-1211546474_thumb.jpg