• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ELLE South Africa 07.15

hI7TcHit.jpg

MODEL OF THE MONTH: MIEKE VISSER

Meet Mieke Visser, from Boss Models Cape Town, who appears in our July fashion shoot, Move.

ELLE: How were you discovered?

I was scouted by Hans (a previous agent from Boss) at the Art Scape, while watching Phantom of the Opera with my mom and a friend. I was 15 and super-excited, and eventually managed to convince my mom about modelling. That’s where it all started.

ELLE: What’s your favourite/least favourite thing about being a model?

I get to travel and see the world, which I love, but the early call times – like 3am – are not because I love to sleep.

ELLE: What do you do in your downtime?

Hanging out with friends and shopping.

ELLE: How would you describe your personal style?

It’s really mood-dependent. If I feel girly, I dress the part, and if I feel fierce I look fierce. I believe every day has its own mood and style.

ELLE: How do you stay in shape?

I love yoga, it’s relaxing and very good for lengthening muscles. When I travel I rely mostly on running because it’s a great form of exercise and it helps to clear my mind. A healthy diet is essential; I eat at least four or five healthy and fresh meals a day. But I don’t miss out on my dark chocolate and sweeties. It’s important to keep to a balanced diet, which includes some sweet stuff too.

ELLE: Your beauty regime?

I use the Rooibos face wash and Nutraderm for my skin. I wash my face twice a day and believe in Bio-Oil and tea tree oil for spots.

ELLE: Style icon?

Coco Chanel who believed in herself and in others. She was an independent woman and it showed in her enviable looks. I am also inspired by what she said and often refer to her quotes.

ELLE: Any advice for aspiring models? 

You are beautiful just as you are, so never change for any one, and stay true to yourself. Something worth remembering: ‘Your body is what makes you pretty, your smile is what makes you shine, but your personality is what makes you beautiful.’