Bellazon

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Lkjh

After successfully crossing over (and under) the Misty Mountains, Thorin and Company must seek aid from a powerful stranger before taking on the dangers of Mirkwood Forest--without their Wizard. If they reach the human settlement of Lake-town it will be time for the hobbit Bilbo Baggins to fulfill his contract with the dwarves. The party must complete the journey to Lonely Mountain and burglar Baggins must seek out the Secret Door that will give them access to the hoard of the dragon Smaug. And, where has Gandalf got off to? And what is his secret business to the south? Written by Otaku-sempai

^ King Thranduil and the Mirkwood Elves!

I loved An Unexpected Journey. I hope this one will be even better.

I remember reading somewhere that the story of the book will be complete with this movie, and that the 3rd one will be like a "link" between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (those 60 years in between). Is this true?

I remember reading somewhere that the story of the book will be complete with this movie, and that the 3rd one will be like a "link" between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (those 60 years in between). Is this true?

Yeah, the impression I got was that 'There and Back Again' would be more of a 'bridge' between The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings. They could certainly make use of the appendices from Return Of The King, though. The stuff set after the events of LOTR would of course sit rather awkwardly with The Hobbit, but the bits about Gandalf's backstory and the creation of the rings would work just fine.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
New Zealand airline reveals image of Hobbit dragon

AUCKLAND, New Zealand (AP) — New Zealand's national airline unveiled a giant image Monday of the dragon Smaug on one of its planes to celebrate the premiere of the second movie in the Hobbit trilogy.

Air New Zealand showed the 54-meter (177-foot) image that's featured on both sides of a Boeing 777-300 aircraft. The plane is scheduled to fly to Los Angeles in time for the premiere of "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug," which screens Monday, Pacific Standard Time at the Dolby Theatre.

post-72476-0-1446073834-62333_thumb.jpg post-72476-0-1446073834-65284_thumb.jpg post-72476-0-1446073834-67199_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, wow, wow!

I was a bit skeptical about this movie because many people have told me it was very different from the book. But this is one of the few movies for which that works!

Very funny, very 'adventurous' and a big recommendation!

Wow, wow, wow!

I was a bit skeptical about this movie because many people have told me it was very different from the book. But this is one of the few movies for which that works!

So jealous that you've seen the movie already. :c It doesn't come out until the 26th in Australia.  :pinch:

^ Same here... I'll have to wait until the 26th.

Wow, wow, wow!

How much does it change from the book?

The first one at least didn't change that much.

Damn, that sucks for us! :c

I'm also wondering how much the movie changes from the book. The first had changes but nothing too drastic, but from what I've seen from people on tumblr is that this has quite a few changes, some good while some bad, from the book. Have to wait and see I guess.  :idk:

But one thing is for sure, everyone seems to love Smaug, calling him the greatest movie dragon ever.

• 4 weeks later...

And I finally saw it 3 days ago.

I liked it! Great movie and Smaug is simply awesome.

On the other hand though, it's TOO different from the book for me. As a movie I liked it, it's a great production, but it changes too many things from the book. Even more than the changes made in the whole The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

^ I just got back from seeing the movie and I completely agree with you. 

I didn't mind all the extra scenes with Smaug and I can see why he added them so the dragon would get more screentime. The major downside with the movie was the whole love thing that was going on, it was rather laughable at times.. especially with the 'healing hands' scene if you remember. 

Also what was with the pointless CGI of Legolas' face? I saw behind the scenes gifs and videos of Orlando and he really looked like Legolas back in LOtR, only just a bit older, but in the movie it's like they tried to make him look even younger and it didn't work; even my boyfriend asked me what was going on with his face.

But having said that I did enjoy the movie and I can't wait until the final part gets released.