Bellazon

Bree Kleintop
Thumbnail

FashionDream

• 2 months later...

th_24031d260243923.jpg/monthly_06_2013/post-40197-0-1446101857-78102_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="4096369" alt="post-40197-0-1446101857-78102_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="133.33"> post-40197-0-1446101857-80264_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101857-82511_thumb.jpg th_655809260243938.jpg/monthly_06_2013/post-40197-0-1446101857-84273_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="4096372" alt="post-40197-0-1446101857-84273_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="66.67"> post-40197-0-1446101857-86569_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101857-88285_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101857-89695_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101857-92735_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101857-93911_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101857-96153_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101857-98677_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101858-00416_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101858-01873_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101858-03698_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101858-08063_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101858-12147_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101858-14721_thumb.jpg post-40197-0-1446101858-18212_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

BIOGRAPHY

Birthday: April 14, 1994

Resides: San Clemente, California

Hobbies outside surfing: Snowboarding, paddle boarding, music, reading, cooking/baking, eating what she cooks/bakes, then going to yoga to burn it all off, goofing off with friends and laughing until it hurts! And blogging, check it out BreeKleintop.tumblr.com

Bree grew up on the east coast in the surf town of Virginia Beach and started surfing on a longboard when she was 6. Her father was a competitive surfer and going surfing with him behind their house was always her favorite time of the day. He inspired her fluid style and taught her that the ocean was like her church, a place to be one with nature and escape life’s stresses.

Bree’s father has worked in the surf industry for over 20 years and introduced her to Layne Beachley, who was actually the first one to teach her how to surf on a shortboard when she was 10. From that point on she was hooked! Layne gave Bree a St Christophers necklace and told her to wear it as good luck charm and to keep pushing her surfing. After that she would hop on her bike and ride down the boardwalk to the jetty to surf everyday until dark. She then started entering contests competing in the ESA, NSSA and Surfing America Prime and doing well. Bree still wears the necklace to this day, and it has brought her amazing experiences whether it be surfing a perfect wave on the other side of the world or a photoshoot in some tropical paradise.

Bree says she feels blessed to have the opportunity to be able to travel the world and meet other surfers from all over who have become some of her closest friends. She has spent her winters on the North Shore of Oahu since she was 12, where she shot for her first cover of WSSM surf mag when she was only 13. She has also been featured in Surfer Mag, Waves, ESM, WSSM and Surfing Life. Bree was then given the chance to live in New Zealand for half the year training and competing when she was 15. She now calls San Clemente her home and continues to return back to the east coast as often as possible, especially for the swells brought to the Outer Banks during hurricane season.

During her down times she practices yoga, and you can always find her outdoors doing something fun whether it be paddle boarding, hiking or playing a game of basketball with the boys. She is an avid reader, has a passion for good music, loves to grow things in her garden and cook dinners for friends. She always has a smile on her face and some funny thing to say to make you laugh and is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. She plans to start doing the pro junior series and continue to travel and work towards competing on the WQS.

Accomplishments:

2011- 2nd place, ECSC, Junior Women

2011-4th place, NSSA Easterns, Explorer Women

2011-2nd place, Steel Pier Classic, Womens Pro

2012-3rd place, Surfing America Prime Series

2010-3rd place, Billabong Junior Series, New Zealand

2010-2nd place, Taranaki Surf, New Zealand

http://oneillgirls.com/team/bree-kleintop/

The easiest way to describe freesurfer Bree Kleintop? She’s a stunner. Or she’s a looker. Or she’s an (insert flattering adjective here)—Kleintop’s appearance has inadvertently become her own most popular headline. But when we catch up with the San Clemente, California-based freesurfer, she’s adamant that her oft-discussed looks take up much more of the public’s time and interest than her own. “It’s a tricky thing because we live in bikinis day in and day out surfing,” she says. “It gives us a certain level of comfort with our bodies. Most of us don’t even think twice about it.” And yet, the general obsession with Kleintop’s good looks has made her wary of how she’s being perceived—in an interview with Surfing Magazine, she argues that the “pretty blonde surfer girl” is a far cry from her true self, a Black Sabbath fan more apt to swath herself in all black than the feminine bikinis she dons in the water. We sat down with the 19-year-old athlete (who learned to surf from Layne Beachley herself) to get to know the girl behind the bikini.

What did learning to surf on the East Coast mean for you when you first started competing?

I wouldn’t trade growing up surfing in Virginia Beach for anywhere! The waves are usually small and weak so that for sure makes them tricky, but when we get a good swell it gets really fun. It’s definitely harder entering the competitive aspect of surfing coming from Virginia Beach—we don’t have the same support system traveling to contests like the kids from Cali or Hawaii do, so there are times it got really lonely, but that’s just part of it.

You shot your first magazine cover when you were 13, and you’ve been featured so many times since then. Any cringe-worthy interviews or photos?

Oh, for sure. That first cover was shot in Hawaii and was one of my proudest moments so far. I thought then, if nothing else ever happened in my career I had already experienced more than I could have ever wished for! But there are some cringe-worthy photos that I look at and am like, “Bree what were you doing there?!”

You’ve said you don’t just want to be another pretty girl in a bathing suit. Do you feel tied to that stereotype right now?

I know for me, posting pictures in my sponsors’ product, it’s just me saying, “Hey look at this cute bikini in the new line,” nothing more. Beyond those images, I also want people to understand who Bree really is. I’m a girl who would rather read a good book than go shop, or listen to music rather than go out at night, the girl who finished high school a year early and started college when she was 17 in between traveling and working to build my career. Most of all, I’m a girl who values simple things: a few really good friends, her family, and traveling. So I’m not saying I don’t love throwing on a bikini and being that girl, but I want to show all sides of me, not just one—let the public see who I truly am instead of a disguise.

So how do you plan on showing that?

Honestly, it’s an ongoing process. I guess just keep being myself: surfing, modeling, being goofy. Hopefully people will catch on! I’m also in the works of joining forces with an amazing charity; I love volunteering and helping the environment, children, and animals in any way possible. Just trying to be a good role model for other girls, that’s key to me.

What’s next for you?

I’m spending the holidays at home on the East Coast then heading to Hawaii for a bit. I have a couple of things lined up to shoot over there that I’m really excited about. I’ve also been spending a lot of time in the water, just enjoying freesurfing, and I have a daily workout routine I do to try to stay fit that is a mix of cardio and core strength training.

What do you wish more people knew about you?

I’m actually a little bit shy and a full-on klutz! I’m the girl who bumps her head getting out of the car and trips in front of everyone while trying to look smooth—I even broke my nose last summer when a guy’s longboard flew out of nowhere into my face!

When you aren’t surfing, what do you enjoy doing?

I’m usually outside doing something—going for a paddle or a run. I’ve also started filming; it’s incredibly fun being on the other side of the camera. One of my all-time favorite pastimes is cooking, and I love making a big dinner for my boyfriend, family, and friends. He’s addicted to my carnitas and sautéed bananas and pecans over ice cream for dessert!

What’s something we’d be surprised to find out about you?

I can down some food!!

http://www.grindtv.com/action-sports/surf/post/surfer-bree-kleintop-gets-intimate/