• 3 weeks later...

"Wild Rose" for Vogue Australia August 2013

Photographer: Nicole Bentley

Fashion Editor: Jillian Davison

Hair: Sophie Roberts

Make-up: Victoria Baron

Manicure: The Nail Lab

Model: Holly Rose Emery (Full name)

Source: Visual Optimism (visualoptimism.blogspot.com)

post-3311-0-1446079096-1306_thumb.jpg post-3311-0-1446079096-13863_thumb.jpg

post-3311-0-1446079096-15493_thumb.jpg post-3311-0-1446079096-18824_thumb.jpg

post-3311-0-1446079096-21426_thumb.jpg post-3311-0-1446079096-26537_thumb.jpg

post-3311-0-1446079096-27483_thumb.jpgpost-3311-0-1446079096-28249_thumb.jpg

post-3311-0-1446079096-29281_thumb.jpg post-3311-0-1446079096-31438_thumb.jpg 

^ Gorgeous editorial! The soft photography and styling reminds me of Paolo Roversi's work with the popular "doll faced" models (Gemma, Stam, Pugh etc.) way back when. This is the first time Holly's really impressed me; I look forward to seeing more editorials from her in the future  :hehe:

• 1 month later...

"Generation Next" for Vogue Australia October 2013

Photographer: Nicole Bentley
Stylist: Christine Centenera
Hair: Daren Borthwick
Make-up: Victoria Baron
Manicure: Bernadette Leva

Models:
Holly Rose Emery

Maddison Brown
Astrid Holler
April Tiplady
Matilda Dods

Source: glossynewsstand.com

aclSuVKS.jpg abio92JM.jpg

abcffL49.jpg abnm2Miv.jpg

abyIwXC5.jpg acryR33m.jpg

abuEO48S.jpg ablzgouP.jpg

acrqHn4F.jpg acjwlI90.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
While other seventeen-year-olds are only beginning to think about possible career options, Holly Rose Emery is already making a name for herself in the fashion industry as a full time model. She currently lives in New York while her family are here in Auckland. Holly hopes to become a famous model and follow in the footsteps of Kate Moss or Miranda Kerr - without a doubt she will achieve this as she possesses determination and oozes maturity beyond her years. I met up with Holly backstage at New York Fashion Week to talk about her career.

After only modeling for one year, Holly has been booked to walk for numerous designers at New York Fashion Week, a much-anticipated event. As she walks into a frantic room of stylists, hairdressers and make-up artists preparing models for the opening of fashion week, she wears a loose, white T-shirt and grey sweatpants displaying a sense of calmness and quiet confidence. Yet there is an aura of excitement and nerves along with the strong scent of hairspray lingering in this room that is filled with overflowing racks of vibrant clothing. She greets everybody then relaxes her 6ft body into a makeup chair before she’s transformed from an ordinary 17-year-old girl to an haute couture model. I sit myself next to her with my backstage pass hanging around my neck and out of the way of the workers zooming here, there and everywhere. Makeup artists begin to paint her porcelain skin as I ask Holly about what she loves about modeling and instantly her face lights up. I can tell by her enthusiasm that she is well away on her favourite subject as she talks at full speed about modeling, “I’ve met so many interesting people, been to so many different places and I thank my modeling career for providing me with these wonderful experiences.” She shows great pride in her achievements as she lists “walking for Prada, Valentino and being featured in my own editorial in Vogue Australia” as highlights of her career so far. All these experiences would have been a distant dream for Holly a year ago but with immeasurable hard work, Holly is on her way to her goal of being a successful model.

(Paragraph taken out due to weight discussion)

On her sixteenth birthday she walked into the offices of Red11 modeling agency read to give it ago. “Boom! I was signed”, says Holly with an animated grin. It is clear she knows it was the best decision she has ever made. Holly had 6 successful months of modeling in New Zealand before her agency offered her the opportunity to become a full time model overseas and Holly obviously jumped at the chance because “it was a step closer to achieving my dream.”

We may be envious of Holly’s life but it isn’t as glamorous as we perceive. While her blonde hair is wrapped around curlers, she speaks with a half-joking tone and tells me that “modeling is harder than it looks” but I know she’s being sincere. Becoming a full time model meant that Holly had to make some sacrifices. She looks a lot less exuberant when I bring up the topic as she gazes at the floor and replies, “It was extremely difficult leaving my family and friends and dropping out of school.” Holly looks at me and sighs as she reveals her self-doubts, “Sometimes I wonder if I‘m doing the right thing by leaving school and leaving family and moving out of the house”, but a smile appears and her spirits revive as she continues, “But I know everything will pay off in the end.”

Even though models have a relatively short career span, Holly plans to be in this competitive world for long time. “The secret to a successful career is to build a brand for yourself”, and through eyes of steel Holly says, “And that’s what I’m going to do.” Holly has achieved more than the average teenager but she is humbled by her journey. An organizer comes over and breaks the news to Holly that she will be closing the show and she shakes her head in disbelief, “I can’t believe this is real life.” Just as Holly is about to leave the makeup chair to get changed from her sweatpants to high-fashion apparel, I ask her what she would want to do if she wasn’t modeling but unexpectedly she leans towards me and redirects the question at me, “What do you want to do when you’ve finished school?” I respond, “I have ideas but their all just pipe dreams.” She plants her hand on my shoulder to give me the following advice:

“Keep dreaming big because you never know and dreams are able to somehow manifest their way into reality”

MODEL OF THE MOMENT: HOLLY ROSE

Highlights? It has all been a whirlwind of amazing experiences but definitely Prada menswear as my debut show is a memory I will carry forever.

Wow moments? Opening and closing dsquared2 in Milan and definitely walking in the Marc Jacobs show. The set at Marc Jacobs was so amazing.

Favourite places you have been along the way? I had like a 30 minute stopover in Zurich, Switzerland and fell in love. I have enjoyed all the cities I've been to. The European cities are so beautiful. You can actually feel the history.

Your beauty essentials? I am crazy about my Ultraceuticals range. I can't live without my Ultraceuticals mattifying SPF sunscreen. It's amazing and has no shine, which I need. My Ultraceauticauls eye cream is a must-have because as mum says, "You are never too old or young to take care of the delicate eye are". I also love my make up remover, moisturizer and cleanser! I get really red cheeks and since I did a make up campaign in NY recently, mum makes sure I have plenty of my Ultraceuticals even skin tone serum which I swear by. Mum is a beauty therapist with Verve Medi Spa so she makes sure I have the best beauty products for my sensitive skin.

Your staples to surviving fashion week? My moisturiser, snacks, water, plasters, phone charger and something to entertain yourself.

Most memorable shoot from the last year? I would say my Vogue Australia shoot on my 17th birthday. It was such a special day and my Harpers Bazaar Australia which was shoot in Wanaka. The experience was unforgettable. New Zealand is so beautiful. I am so lucky to live there

Your wardrobe staples? I promise you I am not just saying this as it has been all over my instagram but my Glassons pleather skirt, A good pair of jeans, My wicked platform Converse, my killer NomD coat, Kate Sylvester dresses and a few simple tops. Oh, & my Stolen Girlfriend's Club print tee!

Favourite Fashion Week moment? Opening and closing dsquared2! Simply magical.

Plans for the summer? Coming home! Going to the beach! Having a Kiwi Christmas!

Favourite Glassons pieces for the season? The ripped printed jeans, yes please! That open knit jumper in the hot pink it too cute and the chiffon maxi are totally going to be everywhere this summer. Why is there no Glassons in America?!

Your modelling bucket list or wish list for the next year? I love a good Vogue or Harpers editorial. I would love to be a cover star for I.d and get a campaign for a brands such as Valentino or Chloe but I will be (and have been already) happy with whatever comes along.

Style Icon? I am totally obsessed with Ming Xi, Xiao Wen Ju, Sasha Luss and Fei Fei Suns' street style. I have total model envy. I wish I could look as cute and stylish as they do.

Most inspiring person you have meet along your journey? There is no one person that inspires me. I think you can draw something from everyone. Models such as Julia Nobis and New Zealand's own Ashleigh Good who are doing so well in this industry despite all the grueling work they put into it inspires me.