Bellazon

Confessions

Lkjh

The opinion sections of news are largely filled with allegations of conspiracies.  Come to think of it, there is a general conspiracy of sorts- the editorial boards of media providers are the ones that select the 'news that's fit to print' and there is usually a political, lifestyle, and ideological bias in the material that they select.  In many ways this pounds the same opinions through endless repetition and can influence a nondiscriminatory person's tastes and interests.  I find that this bias infects even the 'objective' side of the paper (general news).  For instance, you will rarely find good news about Health Care Reform in the WSJ....and the NYT/Huffington establishes, without a doubt,  that environmentalism is an important issue deserving of money and attention rather than being a tertiary one.

Can I confess that I had the ambition to become a journalist, Andy? Or will you kill me? :laugh:

Focus on the had, though. My history teacher and mentor gave me this book called 'Het zijn net mensen' by Joris Luyendijk and I really wish it was printed in English too so you could read it, you'd find it very interesting.

I have dropped the ambition ever since.The author is an Arabic major that accidentally became a journalist in the Mid-East and his stories about where the 'news' comes from (Reuters instead of locals) and that the actual job of a correspondent is to find (bribe) people to film are just astounding.

Yeah, I would say that someone like Fox is glaringly biased even to the casual observer :D so it seems like the news can be more about shopping for people. They listen to what they like to hear.

I'm pretty new to conspiracies so I just read all kinds. It's quite interesting but at the same can get too dark. I'm also someone who can be really into one subject and a little while later not think about it for a long time. I tend to find the ones dealing with governments more plausible because there are numerous examples of past and present atrocities. And of course knowing what kind of people the positions of power can attract.

Yes, I've looked at some of the literature on media studies many years ago since I needed to understand the field better as I need the press everyday for my work.  In the US, the big 3 national newspapers with the most political and social influence are the WSJ, NYT, and the Washington Post.  President Obama (and Bush before him) reads these papers every morning as a bellwether for their political activity. 

My contact also commented about the staff at the New York Times being composed very provincial liberal Americans, nearly all from comfortable upper middle class backgrounds, nearly all employees, and educated disproportionately from the Colombia school of journalism. 

--------

W, That's understandable as Historians and their historical methodology is completely opposite of journalistic writing, the latter of which is forgotten by tuesday.   Good historical work is scholarship, source-digging, deep thinking and research of the most meticulous order that can take more than the duration of a lifetime to accomplish.  Thousands or Tens of thousands of man-hours even.. 

Then there's also the whole loose and careless epistemological attitude of mass reporting that's totally unacceptable to a historian who wages a war to discover facts.

I realize that we do need journalists and I rely on the business press, but I am always ready to criticize the accuracy and usefulness of reporting and editorializing.

So why did reading that book make you turn away from this potential ambition?

Can I confess that I had the ambition to become a journalist, Andy? Or will you kill me? :laugh:

Focus on the had, though. My history teacher and mentor gave me this book called 'Het zijn net mensen' by Joris Luyendijk and I really wish it was printed in English too so you could read it, you'd find it very interesting.

I have dropped the ambition ever since.The author is an Arabic major that accidentally became a journalist in the Mid-East and his stories about where the 'news' comes from (Reuters instead of locals) and that the actual job of a correspondent is to find (bribe) people to film are just astounding.

Well Sanni, conspiracy and sociological theories are pretty much the thought basis of both political parties (race baiting, class warfare, etc.) so I don't really know what you mean specifically.

The last quasi conspiracy theory book (somewhat plausible type) I read was 'Secrets of the Temple' (5 years ago).  It's very long book that presents the history of the Federal Reserve, its week by week macroeconomic effects, and its interaction with Reagan administration.  The author was a liberal journalist for the Washington Post and covered the Fed during these years.  He wrote the book shortly afterwards.

His conspiracy theory was that the Reagan administration was out to finish the de-industrialization America, accelerate financialization, and use the Fed to produce activity that was harmful to the working and middle classes.

Sound familiar? His thesis is identical to the one that modern US Democrats use in their campaigns about the 'Republican war against the middle class and poor'.  

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Temple-Federal-Reserve-Country/dp/0671675567

Yeah, I would say that someone like Fox is glaringly biased even to the casual observer  :D so it seems like the news can be more about shopping for people. They listen to what they like to hear.

I'm pretty new to conspiracies so I just read all kinds. It's quite interesting but at the same can get too dark. I'm also someone who can be really into one subject and a little while later not think about it for a long time. I tend to find the ones dealing with governments more plausible because there are numerous examples of past and present atrocities. And of course knowing what kind of people the positions of power can attract.

Overall, I have confidence that US public bureaucracy, for its deep flaws and cost on the taxpayer, is not anywhere as bad as some of the worst EU governments.  If you want to read something horrific and dark, read Richard Evans (historian of the Third Reich).  One of my favorite general history of this government is 'Third Reich in Power'. (About Nazi Germany in the 1930s and their road to world war)  Governments in this decade were truly awful in both Europe and Asia.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Sanni said:

The other night I had a dream where Justin Verlander was dead and Kate Upton was distraught over losing her fiancé.

And me i dreamt that Gal Gadot walked the next VSFS :o 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, frenchkiki said:

Since I have stopped drinking diet coke my pee stink!

I think my body is trying to get rid of all the bad chemical produces. :/

You can eat asparagus. They are good for your health (and then you'll know why your pee stinks ;))