Thumbnail

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Michelle Obama is on the cover of Essence magazine’s December/January issue.

Here’s what the former First Lady and “Becoming” author had to share with the mag…

On what is next for her: “Since we left the White House, I’ve spend most of my time focusing on finishing this book. The book tour will keep me busy for a while, and then I’ll take some time to evaluate what’s next. I’m in no hurry. What I know is that public service is in my DNA, so I’m planning to find ways to keep being useful…I see myself always staying involved in efforts like that…”

On her happiest days in the White House: “Any day that I got to spend time with children was a good day. Sometimes if I was need of a pick-me-up, my staff would schedule an event with young people to give me a boost. Kids give me energy. They get me out of my own head and remind me about the things that are most important…”

On her advice on finding your own Barack: “I think a lot of people don’t have a clear idea of what they should look for in a mate—and for a long time, I didn’t either…What drew me to Barack was that when I met him, he was already a fully formed individual. From our very first conversations, he showed me that he wasn’t afraid to express his fears and doubts, or that he might not have all the answers. He could handle someone with her own passions and goals, someone who had ideas of her own. He relished it, in fact. I liked that…”

For more from Michelle, visit Essence.com.

michelle-obama-essence-01.jpg