Bellazon

2014 SI Swimsuit

slowen

Over the next two weeks SwimDaily will be releasing the identities of the record-high 12 rookies picked to carry the Swimsuit franchise into its next 50 years. Check back every day at 2 p.m. ET for a new reveal!

BTW, while i agree with MJ that this is the best rookie class ever, she should know that 12 rookies is not a record. 

the concept of rookies was introduced in 1999 and the very next year had 15 rookies: elsa benitez, kylie bax, kristy hinze, malia jones, malania knauss, shakara ledard, ana paula lemes, naoemie lenoir, josie maran, carre otis, gabrielle reece, rachel roberts, molly sims, and estella warren

and Veronica Varekova :D :p

nope, she was in the 1999 issue

and i got the concept of 'rookies' from reading the mag!  that's the first year they were called that

let's face it it's all about Kate the Great the rest of the SI models are just filler anything but a Kate Upton cover will be a surprise. Especially knowing her doing the zero gravity shooting if that's not a dead give away she will get the cover what is!? on the 50 years of beautiful show she was the most featured model.

I wouldn't put it past MJ to troll us all and put herself on the cover  :nicole: 

if Kate Upton gets the cover then she will get her 4th one next year to make history it will be too much of a oppourtunity not to.

If SI are not careful people will get bored of her and be too much overkill..

Honestly it would not shock me if this is Kate's last year. Obviously she is very young but she has her fame now and probably wants to keep trying the acting thing.

i have to be honest she impressed me in "the other woman" from what I've seen.

With so many new models for SI, some of the regular SI models will have to go for next year.

Although I'm 95% sure the cover will be KU in zero gravity, I really think a multi-girl cover would be better. You'd still have the requisite amount of Upton, but you'd add a little bit of novelty, it makes sense for a 50th anniversary issue, they haven't done a multi cover in years, and it would free them up to give her more solo covers in the future without being totally stale. Then again, body types like hers usually have a shorter shelf life for bikini modelling.. might as well get as many solo covers out of it now?

Em&Em&Co being in NY should put to rest any questions about any of them being on the cover. Even if there weren't the location/logistics issue, I wouldn't think SI would parade around their cover girl(s) so casually right before a reveal. 

Over the next two weeks SwimDaily will be releasing the identities of the record-high 12 rookies picked to carry the Swimsuit franchise into its next 50 years. Check back every day at 2 p.m. ET for a new reveal!

BTW, while i agree with MJ that this is the best rookie class ever, she should know that 12 rookies is not a record. 

the concept of rookies was introduced in 1999 and the very next year had 15 rookies: elsa benitez, kylie bax, kristy hinze, malia jones, malania knauss, shakara ledard, ana paula lemes, naoemie lenoir, josie maran, carre otis, gabrielle reece, rachel roberts, molly sims, and estella warren

True, Slowen… good catch!  But, the count is actually 13.  You listed 14 names (not 15) - all correct, but Gabrielle Reece isn't considered a model.  She was a sports star, a la Danica Patrick or Steffi Graf.  Confirmation of that is SI's 50 Years of Beautiful list of every model to appear in an issue, and Gabby isn't on that list.  

Of course, SI also considered Beyonce a model in their list, which is ridiculous.  I think they felt like they had to because of the cover.  After all, they couldn't have a "non cover model" for one year, could they?!?  B.S.!  My list has 222 models entering 2014, while SI's official list is 223 counting Beyonce.  I refuse to consider her a model, though.

None of this changes the fact that you were right, though.  Good catch… and yeah, they should know better, no?