Bellazon

Health

Joe > Average

I just figured I'd move this here since I had been meaning to make this thread

:laugh: . It can be about any aspect, be it mental, emotional, fitness or whatever.

-

Random Dieting and Health Myths

The ones that won't get me into trouble

:ninja:

More people are overweight and out of shape than ever. There's more people and more money than ever. All of this is the perfect recipe to make huge money from telling people lies. Some lies started out from well meaning people who simply didn't have the knowledge that later presented itself. There's things now that we don't know of course. Well, the knowledge about this stuff has presented itself.

Myth: Cholesterol is the cause of heart disease

Truth: Man made chemicals such as hydrogenated and chemically altered foods damage arteries, thus allowing cholesterol to stick to its walls. Other than that, cholesterol is actually mostly good. Though there are several good books about this out, lowering cholesterol is a multi-billion dollar industry and I'm sure there are many who would like to keep it that way. Even tap water does more damage to ones arteries.

Myth: Fat free and sugar free foods are good for you

Truth: Foods with the fat free or sugar free brand are even worse for you because they use man made chemicals to make up for the fat and sugar taste. Due to the fact that they are indeed man made, your body can't metabolize them and they are much more harmful than either fat or sugar.

Myth: Sugar substitutes are better for you than sugar

Truth: Sugar substitutes contain man made chemicals and alterations that have been linked to increased appetite, depression, PMS symptoms and more. I wouldn't advise white sugar either, but its better to use raw, organic natural sugar, organic honey or any naturally occurring sugar.

Myth: The only way to be truly healthy is to be a vegetarian

Truth: Though the beef and dairy industries continues to use methods that are hazardous to our health (growth hormones, pesticide residue, tranquilizers ect.) and commercial beef production methods are a relative waste of our natural resources (80% of our grains are fed to livestock and they play a large role in deforestation and erosion as well), this is not true. The truth is that organic meat is indeed healthy. Livestock that is fed grass and is allowed to roam free is not only healthier than the later, but tastes better as well. With chickens, hormone free, uncaged chickens are the healthiest. Meat is by no means essential to a healthy diet, but organic meat is good indeed.

Myth: That meat is an essential food group or necessary for protein.

Truth: This is a result of the meat industry paying off the right politicians for a place in the food pyramid. Meat not only isn't necessary for protein, it isn't the best source of protein. Seeds have far and away more pound for pound protein. Beans and nuts are no slouch either. Even oats have 5g per serving (1/2 cup) which is more for its weight than any kind of meat.

Myth: That the medical industry is doing all they can to cure disease.

Truth: They're doing all they can to create patentable, temporary remedies so that you have to keep buying them so thy can maximize profit. Expounding on that further

could bet me into trouble with the federal government, so I'll leave it at that :ninja: .

:) :ninja:

Truth: Foods with the fat free or sugar free brand are even worse for you because they use man made chemicals to make up for the fat and sugar taste. Due to the fact that they are indeed man made, your body can't metabolize them and they are much more harmful than either fat or sugar.

I never heard this about the blood thing :ninja: . I was one for over a year myself and never had blood issues. Of course, I gave it up when I found out that that the problem was man made chemicals rather than the actual animal products. That is true about the leather thing since some go all the way for the animal rights thing opposed to just the health thing. I feel a sense of accomplishment to know that I have the discipline to do something so drastic and respect those that do even though its not my thing. LOL @ the PMS thing :rofl::ninja: . Yeah, its the one you're thinking about, so maybe it increases the other symptoms in men to make up for it :ninja: .

The ones that won't get me into trouble with the FDA and FTC

:ninja:

More people are overweight and out of shape than ever. There's more people and more money than ever. All of this is the perfect recipe to make huge money from telling people lies. Some lies started out from well meaning people who simply didn't have the knowledge that later presented itself. There's things now that we don't know of course. Well, the knowledge about this stuff has presented itself.

Truth: Man made chemicals such as hydrogenated and chemically altered foods damage arteries, thus allowing cholesterol to stick to its walls. Other than that, cholesterol is actually mostly good. Though there are several good books about this out, lowering cholesterol is a multi-billion dollar industry and I'm sure there are many who would like to keep it that way. Even tap water does more damage to ones arteries.

Your list is interesting, and conflicting with my personal experiences. However, I am not a diet freak or interested in nutrition. I would like to hear more as to where you got your sources. With due respect, of course :)

What are these chemicals?

This is very much a reverse position on cholesterol, Joe and conflicts with the recommendations of physicians and technicians worldwide. I take blood tests every year and cholesterol and fat content of the blood is emphasized.

Like what chemicals?

I disagree with this one. Sugar substitutes are better for you than sugar. My father has diabetes, and for people who are diabetes-prone, eating simple carbs like white grains and sugars for a few decades inflict the condition on a person. When I eat sugar (anything more than 30 grams), my blood sugar spikes and I can feel the short-term rush, and then my appetite is stimulated even more. Nothing stimulates my appetite more than sugar...it also increases my inflammation which I have noticed as well.

So personally, I avoid sugar whenever I can, and minimize it. This decision alone has dropped 7 pounds off my weight without me even noticing. (And I was 15 pounds underweight back then, now 20+..) I replace it with small quantities of diet coke (whenever I get that sugar craving, or to wash down a salty meal) and I feel a lot better than when I consumed sugar daily.

I would look more at the sampling methodology as 'going against the establishment' with intellectual horsepower (like in all academic fields) is part of the game, as well. The type of people drawed for the sample may have been intentional..

Myth: Sugar substitutes are better for you than sugar

Truth: Sugar substitutes contain man made chemicals and alterations that have been linked to increased appetite, depression, PMS symptoms and more. I wouldn't advise white sugar either, but its better to use raw, organic natural sugar, organic honey or any naturally occurring sugar.

This I don't fully agree with either. Say, for instance, you've had a weight-lifting workout or just starting your day. You need 25 or 40 grams of protein. A lean piece of chicken breast has 30 grams of protein + minimal fats, etc. for a total of 200+ calories. Not bad, at least from the calories and fats side.

The problem with beans and nuts is the high quantity of fats and calories than one needs to digest just to get those 30 grams, and the total calories would easily be twice or three times...., IIRC. Also, beans can cause digestive problems (which I certain have when I eat beans, so I avoid them,,,,)

As far as Oats go, they have a ton of calories and carbs. To get those 30 grams, you'd have to consume some 800 calories of oats, which is far too much...

Myth: That meat is an essential food group or necessary for protein.

Truth: This is a result of the meat industry paying off the right politicians for a place in the food pyramid. Meat not only isn't necessary for protein, it isn't the best source of protein. Seeds have far and away more pound for pound protein. Beans and nuts are no slouch either. Even oats have 5g per serving (1/2 cup) which is more for its weight than any kind of meat.

As for the rest, I agree.....

As far as daily nutrition goes, I am very simple: I avoid all dairy, minimize simple carbs (white flour esp, but also all flour(gluten), potatoes, sugars), beans (digestion problems), and minimize fats (nuts, oils, and fatty meat) if I can.

Truth be told, I am very much pro-lean meat (and of course fruits and vegetables...), and I eat maybe 50 grams worth of meat protein every day. My cholesterol levels are below-average. Out of the 4 basic carbs (corn, rice, wheat, potatoes) I think that rice is the least harmful.

Disclaimer: Due to the issues with quoting, these are in order of posts :ninja: .

-

-

Hello :wave: , I'm still having problems myself :ninja: although I do love many of the features though :laugh: .

-

-

Some vegetarians simply don't do the research and just go out on a whim. Generally vitamin B12 is what they most need to replace, but most people don't get enough of that anyway. Here, however, we've come to depend on unnatural foods so much that just being health conscious alone makes them the healthiest group here by default. It is true that its easier today because of what we know and then centuries ago all food was natural and the soil wasn't as eroded, so everything was organic by default. Good point about the good cholesterol. It is actually necessary for both brain function and sex drive as well :ninja: . Our liver produces it for us though. Generally HDLs (which are raised by monounsaturated fats) are credited as good and LDLs are credited as bad.

Unfortunately, as I said in the disclaimer, expounding on some things would result in my either getting into trouble or being censored. As a result, I'll have to expound more on the sources via pm. For now I will say this though, the initial documents that are responsible for the current cholesterol ideology are so outdated that they wouldn't have gotten published in the last twenty years :ninja: . Though there are more and more books about this coming out with virtually irrefutable scientific evidence, this isn't getting as much attention as it deserves largely because cholesterol lowering is a multi-billion dollar industry. There's a whole lot of money, shares ect. at stake.

Carbs

This should have been another part of the myth section. The idea that carbs are bad for you is another health myth. Carbs have been unduly vilified because refined carbs (white bread, white rice, white pasta ect.) have a lot of carbs. The problem with those foods however is the fact that they are refined and thus the carbs are 'simple carbs.' These carbs however, are not comparable to the carbs of oats which are 'complex carbs.' A whole grain is three parts a) bran b) germ c) endosperm. Refined foods just leave the endosperm which has the carbs, but a whole grain (brown rice, oats, raw corn, whole grain bread ect.) has all three working together for the body. Oats have 0 saturated fat which means all of their calories are actually good (more on that later) and 0 cholesterol (if you're concerned about that) and are loaded with both soluble and insoluble fiber as well as a wide range of other nutrients they don't get enough credit for. You couldn't eat too many oats.

Calories of Nuts

Another health myth is that all calories and fats are created equal. There are many kinds of fats. The worst of which are trans fats which are created through hydrogenation of foods. The most commonly vilified are saturated fats. There are Omega 6 fats which the body can produce on its own and thus aren't necessary for consumption although some foods have them. There is however good fat which is Omega 3 fats and unsaturated (poly and mono) fats. Nuts are an outstanding source of unsaturated fats and because you can eat them raw (unlike meat), you can absorb 100% of the nutrients. Fish (which I also consume) is also a great source of healthy fat although we can't eat it raw and absorb 100% of the nutrients and water pollution and mercury content is a concern as well to some degree. The health benefits of unsaturated and Omega 3 fats (which nuts and seeds contain in abundance) are enormous, including reduced risks of inflammation, various cancers, heart disease as well as increasing heart and brain health among other things. Many doctors estimate that over 95% of Americans actually don't get enough unsaturated and Omega 3 fat. This is largely due to misinformation about fat and calories which portrays all calories and fats as being equal.-

Sugar

Like I said, I will not promote white sugar as it is refined by chemists and thus deadly. I'm not sure what you're referring to as sugar substitutes, but if you're referring to Sweet Low and things like that, they are indeed filled with unnatural chemicals. What are the chemicals? One of the most deadly is aspartame which has been linked to over eighty serious health problems. I can't advertise here, but there are tons of books about it filled with credible medical sources. I'll expound on the ones I'd most recommend through pm at some point. Of course 'sugar substitutes' as in the natural ones (organic honey, natural stevia leaves, natural cane, raw sugar ect.) shouldn't be confused with the man made variety (NutraSweet, SweetLow ect.). I won't say that sugar substitutes can't help you to lose weight, but man made chemicals are deadly regardless of what size you are or even how fit you are. Loosing weight isn't even my main thing, getting rid of man made chemicals is.You can lose weight and fill your body with man made chemicals that cause various cancers and diseases whereas if you get rid of the man made chemicals, being healthy and losing weight will come naturally. As to chemicals, I'd avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient regardless of how little fat or sugar it says it has on the nutrition facts. High fructose corn syrup is indeed even worse than the fat. In the end, its all about money. They prey on the health craze, lure people in with 'fat free' or 'sugar free' labels and the ingredients list has chemicals that are far worse. Your body at least recognizes fat and cholesterol, it will never recognize monosodium glutamate.

Protein

I happen to eat chicken, meat ect. myself, but because it tastes good, not because I need it. The current idea that meat is necessary to be healthy or for protein however is 100% rooted in the meat industry itself and the government bodies they paid off. Regardless of one's protein requirements, there are virtually endless ways to fulfill it without meat. Like I said before, I myself was a vegetarian for over a year and saw no decrease in strength or energy. I was a 290lb offensive lineman in fact, so I guarantee you that I was getting more than enough protein.

On top of that, there's an even more pressing point and that's the fact that dead, cooked foods lose a certain percentage of their nutrients. Nutrition facts are also outdated due to soil depletion (a lot of which is ironically due to livestock raising). Even boiling vegetables takes some degree of their nutritional content. Food is most nutritious when alive. As Jennks said, humans (and bears) are omnivores. We have the ability to eat meat, plants ect. Despite that though, we still have digestive systems more simular to vegetarian animals in that our system is healthiest by far when in an alkaline state. Carnivores by contrast have acidic digestive systems. Meat requires acidic digestive enzymes and thus we don't even metabolize all of the nutrients as effectively as say a lion would because a) they can eat it raw b) they have carniverous teeth c) because they can eat it raw, they can absorb all of the nutrients as organisms have all of their nutrients when they are alive verses dead, let alone cooked (some vitamins are sensitive to heat just as some such as riboflavin are sensitive to light). We by contrast absorb 100% of the nutrients in raw fruit, raw vegetables, raw seeds and raw nuts. If you really think about it, the idea that meat is necessary for protein is innately ridiculous due to the fact that the strongest animals don't eat meat and the animals most similar to humans (apes) are stronger than us and eat mostly vegetables. Some apes do eat some meat, but the strongest eat very little if any at all.

Beans

The idea that beans cause digestion problems might need to go in the myth category too :ninja: . The problem is that legumes require specific digestive enzymes, so combining them with other things confuses the digestive system, causing the mix to often result in gas and indigestion. Most people combine them with grains, meat ect. Also, many in the can come already combined with other things even before people add to that.

Other food combining that results in indigestion

Fruit + Vegetables

Fruit + Meat

Fruit + Starches

Fruit + Grains

Melons + Anything

Good Food Combining

Fruit alone

Fruit with seeds or nuts maybe

Vegetables with meat or poultry

Vegetables with grains

Vegetables with starches

Melons alone

:) :ninja:

Whole grain rice is extremely nutritious. Seeing as how it has both bran and germ intact, it has complex rather than simple carbs (much lower on the glycemic index than white) and is a great source of both fiber and nutrients. Potatoes are extremely nutritious as well, being ironically also rich in protein. Purple sweet potatoes in particular are a favorite among Okinawans who have the highest life expectancy in the world largely due to their diet. They also consume at least three servings of rice daily. Whole grain rice is rich in niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, thiamine, iron, zinc, copper, selenium, manganese and potassium. The FDA believes that Americans consume less than half as much of the necessary fiber for daily intake. Not only that, dietary fiber drastically reduces the risk of heart disease and various cancers. Unfortunately, misinformation about carbs is largely to blame as many mistakenly deem the simple carbs of a refined food as equal to the complex carbs of a whole grain food.

Protein Part 2

As to the 30 grams in the morning thing, I got at least 20 before breakfast when I was a vegetarian athlete. Generally some combination of the following before

formal breakfast.

Notes: a) having farm roots, I've always gotten up early b) as stated above, all calories are not created equal c) like all calories are not created equal, neither are sugars (the sugar in a grape is not the same as the sugar in a donut ect.) d) this amount of diversity is by no means a necessity, but moreso my personal tastes.

1 apple 1 gram of protein (each)

1 orange 2 grams of protein

1 banana (sometimes) 2.5 grams

2 Tablespoons of Hemp Seeds 11 grams of protein

1 Tablespoon of Flax Seed 2 grams of protein

1/2 oz Buckwheat (no relation to wheat) 2 grams of protein

1 slice of Whole Wheat Bread 4 grams (for those with wheat allergies, Rye Bread 2 grams)

1 Tablespoon of Molasses 1 gram - the fact that just a tablespoon of molasses has a gram of protein alone is a huge indicator of the fact that there's hundreds of

possibilities

1 cup soy milk 6 grams - two cups equal an actual glass, so more like 2 cups, 12 grams

That was over 30 grams of protein before I even ate breakfast. For actual breakfast, if I had an egg white omelet (there are many vegetarians who eat egg whites, calling themselves ovo-vegetarians or something like that), that's an additional 18g of protein (6 per egg). I like a lot of different things in mind which only added and still add to that number.

Part 3: Protein in Vegetables

Only 1 oz of mushrooms has 1 gram of protein - I love mushrooms, so I definitely eat more than an oz. One can get 3 grams of protein from just 5 medium sized mushrooms have 3 grams of protein.

1/2 cup packed Spinach 2.5 grams of protein - varieties and brands vary in nutritional content, but all healthy overall anyway.

1 cup of sparagus 4 grams of protein

Cauliflower 4 grams of protein

1 cup of brocolli 5 grams of protein

Vegetable protein has several advantages over meat protein (for humans, not carnivores as they have acidic digestive systems).

1. Because you can eat them raw and alive, you can absorb 100% of the nutrients whereas we can't digest raw or living meat.

2. All or most of their calories are good calories, so you couldn't possibly eat too much.

Part 4: Some Famous Vegetarian Athletes

Venus Williams - one of the most powerful hitters in the history of the sport

Mike Tyson - one of the most powerful strikers in heavyweight history

Antonio Gonzalez - 6'5 250lbs before and after and one of the best tight ends in NFL history, he also says he actually felt stronger afterward (once he did some research and learned

from a former vegetarian athlete).

Joe > Average the year he was a 290lb offensive lineman

Henry Aaron – All Time Baseball Home Run Champion

Dave Scott - 6-time winner of the Ironman Triathlon

Sixto Linares - World Record holder in the 24-hour Triathlon

Paavo Nurmi - 20 World Records and 9 Olympic Medals in distance running

Stan Price - World Record holder in the Bench Press

Andreas Cahling - Body Building Champion

Roy Hilligan - Body Building Champion

Ridgely Abele - 8-Time National Karate Champion

Part 5: The Soy Factor

Also, pretty much all meat (burgers, sausages ect.) and dairy products (milk, yogurt, sour cream, cheese) can be substituted with soy now. The Chinese are the first use soy beans and George Washington Carver came up with more uses (over 100) than any single person and it has a wide range of uses, making the vegetarian diet easier than it was in some years past.

:)

I have 3 practicing doctors and 1 pharmacist (and a pharmacy) in my family and the consensus I've gotten from them and my personal physician (and another, a family friend) is that most of these nutrition fads are precisely speculative fads designed to prop up consumption in various categories, and usually in the organic category. I also get a lot of information from my dad, for instance, as he visits physicians frequently and has major health issues (had a liver transplant, lymphoma, diabetes) from hepatitis that he contracted in Somalia & Congo. When I look at these heath materials in the bookstore I am reminded of the information market for politics.... very speculative and often conspiracy-theory driven. 'Kill cancer by eating Brocolli..'

Granted, the people I know are not specialists in nutrition but they can smell the snake-oil..so to speak....so I have deferred judgement to them.

What makes unnatural foods and chemicals so bad? I mean, in terms of specifics......nearly everything that's processed has unnatural ingredients, and many of them pass through the intestines without being absorbed or causing problems. Another personal experience: My father is an import/export manager and deals with the FDA bureaucracy. He's told me about the process, and I don't have the impression that it's totally corrupt.

There is corruption in all walks of human life, but it's rarely total, especially in the US.

---------------------------

Sure, pm me, but I don't see how it's dangerous for you to post internet links or post books. I just want to vet these sources. Like most of the population, I do not have a degree in nutrition and nutrition sciences so I must defer to credentialed physicians and other specialists and try to get reliable information if I can.

-----------------------------------

Carbs are bad for you if taken in excess- and the refined sort leads naturally to such behavior. Oats are still very much high in carbs but I don't think that they can be relied on for protein intake as too many oats must be consumed just to meet a quota. Meat, Soy and other sources are more efficient for this particular purpose...

------------------------------------------

The problem with fats is that they have 8 calories of energy per gram, vs. 4 calories for carbs (and proteins, if I'm not mistaken..) So one can over-eat very quickly with high fat foods. That's the crux of it.

----------------------------------------------------

The trade off is between a small amount of aspartame, no more than a glass of diet coke (which I deem harmless) vs. a larger amount of sugar. Aspartame is deemed safe by the majority consensus...but if some think that this consensus is corrupted, then so be it...

What are these man-made chemicals that you're so adamant about, and the source all diseases and ills? I have to say that I am not so afraid of man-made chemicals as long as they don't cause problems in an statistically significant way.

Nevertheless, I don't eat many processed foods at all as I think they 1. don't taste that good 2. increase risk of constipation....

------------------------------------------

What I don't really buy is the claim that eating meat is deadly (vegetarians/vegans tell me this) because of hormones and genetic engineering. This is why I eat meat everyday, as it's a low-calorie source of protein that doesn't tax my digestive system like..lets, say, the equivalent of four large bowls of oatmeal would..

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, you've answered your own assertion, haven't you? :) I can't digest beans and dairy very well, precisely because of that..I think many people can't.

Soy isn't good for everyone though. I read results of a surprising study that Asian women, who eat lots of soy are healthy and it's less probable they'd get cancer, while white women shouldn't eat as much soy (there was an amount given, don't remember how much though) because it may even increase risk of cancer :wacko: something about differences between white and Asian women that makes it so.

I'll expound more later, but because of where I am, just some short (for me :ninja: ) responses. When I speak of government corruption, its not to say that the whole government is corrupt, but rather in reference to the effect of government payoffs. Even an overall good person can fall victim to a good bribe although some don't of course. To the doctor thing, there's hundreds of doctors out there. I'm not going to bore you with saying I know this guy or how close he is to me, but I will say that I do know some doctors who are themselves morbidly obese as well as nutritionists who live unhealthy lifestyles. Only around 1/3 of US medical schools even have required courses in nutrition. That's largely because fixing the problem is deemed more profitable important than preventing the problem. Legal drugs are a multi-billion dollar industry. Back to the original point though, there are hundreds of doctors with even more opinions and experiences which is why there's that old saying, 'getting a second opinion.' None of us know it all, but hopefully we can all learn together :) . I'm aware that there are doctors who disagree with some of the things I say just like there are those that agree with what I say. Some of the misinformation that we've been taught about food and health are just things people take for granted. Just 15 years ago people believed you needed cows milk to grow up big and strong mind you and many doctors perpetuated that. Not long from now the popular misinformation about carbs (not distinguishing simple from complex), cholesterol, fats ect. will be just as dated.

1. I know from personal experiences the perils that await me for expounding too much on FDA and FTC corruption and I'm not talking about conspiracies either, but factual accounts, my own experiences as well as things that are so obvious that they can be easily missed so to speak. There is indeed a hard fight against natural cures and remedies solely on the premise that because they are cheap and not patentable, they would cost certain people billions of dollars. The fact that no one wants to believe that such a thing could really be happening right before their eyes makes it easy to just wt rite them off as debunking snake oil shamans or whatever. That's not to say everyone that works for them is a criminal. There are some very good people there for certain. I'm also not even big into conspiracies in general (the Bush hired the terrorists, assassination conspiracies ect.).

2. You're worried about the calories of oats but thing, 'there's nothing wrong' with man made chemicals in foods? The dangers of man made chemicals are very well documented with pretty much an inexhaustible sea of research and case studies. I could expound further, but just a short answer for now, the main reason that man made chemicals added to foods (pesticide residue, growth hormones, various twenty letter words on the ingredients list, monosodium glutamate, high fructose corn syrup, artificial additives, artificial preservatives, homogenized products, hydrogenated products, trans fats ect.) are extremely toxic to your body is because (aside from being toxic at face value) your body doesn't recognize them because they are indeed unnatural whereas your body is natural. It would take your body centuries to evolve to the point where it can properly accept chemicals that are themselves only a few decades old. Your body can more readily recognize (natural) carbs and cholesterol than it can man made chemicals because it has had centuries to evolve with them by contrast. Its also not a coincidence that the modern dieting ideology focuses more on the perils of such things rather than said chemicals. The chemicals weaken the immune system which makes one more prone to illness. Being more prone to illness makes one more likely to take a legal drug which also weakens the immune system and results in buying more drugs all while being distracted by carb and cholesterol propaganda. Its a self sustaining business by design and there's nothing conspiracy oriented about that, its just all about the money at the end of the day.

3. Despite the fact that its trending, its inaccurate to write organic off as a fad when for the majority of human history, organic was all that existed, so our bodies have evolved together with natural foods for centuries.

4. Not distinguishing the simple carbs of refined foods (white bread, white flour ect.) from the natural, complex carbs of whole grains (oats, buckwheat, barley ect.) is fairly common unfortunately. The popular carb ideology is one of the worst dieting myths in the world right now. Whole grains are one of the best sources of absorbable dietary fiber in the world. Despite that, I'm not sure how you came to this idea about oatmeal seeing as how oats are among the most healthy substances on earth. They're also one of the best and relatively few sources of soluble fiber and also have insoluble fiber (2g per 1/2 cup) that rids your system of things it doesn't need anyway. I'm also not sure how you quoted me as saying it can be used as one's sole source of protein. The above pre-breakfast protein foods from my vegetarian year didn't even include oats ironically. I myself don't even eat a whole serving of oats daily. The point of my display was that there are hundreds of ways to satisfy any protein requirement. One of the many books I'd recommend is SuperfoodsRX, it has a great chapter about the health benefits of oats. Also, again there are different types of calories, cholesterol, carbs, fat, sodium, sugar ect. just the same as there's different types of anything else. Comparing the calories of oats to the calories of a donut makes less sense than comparing mercury to titanium. These things are literally different on a chemical level. For example, saturated fat is a solid whereas monounsaturated fat (which is extremely good for you and raises good cholesterol in the blood) is a liquid. The sodium of table salt is not the same sodium of organic sea salt, the sugar in ice cream is not the same sugar in natural honey or peaches. That isn't a matter of opinion, their chemical properties are observable.

5. Jus for the record, I'm not anti-meat, but it is a scientific fact that acidic digestive systems (those of carnivores) are best able to receive 100% of the nutrients from meat (which is how they are able to live on it exclusively) whereas humans being omnivorous have some acidic digestive enzymes despite the fact that our system is healthiest by far in the alkaline state. The fact that there are various foods than have protein and can be consumed in the alkaline state by nature disproves the myth that meat is essential for human protein consumption. That's the point. Whether anyone should or shouldn't eat meat or not was never the issue.

6. As to the broccoli comment, there is pretty solid scientific evidence that the chemicals in certain raw foods can indeed help to fight the chemicals that cause or feed specific cancers. Surely there's no debate as to the merit of Vitamin C for example and broccoli is even superior to oranges on that front. There's a difference between cure and prevention and we can indeed prevent most things through nutrition. In any case though, like I said earlier, we receive the highest % of nutrients from foods that we can eat raw (alive) and leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables ect are extremely high in the vitamins that support immune health. The human body can absorb the most nutrients from raw, living foods (raw vegetables, raw fruit, raw nuts, raw seeds) and then whole grains and legumes. The nutrients they provide strengthen the immune system. The stronger the immune system is, the less likely you are to get sick. Man made chemicals have been scientifically proven to weaken the immune system. Actually, one of the most successful cancer doctors in the world is a gentleman from Germany who has successfully treated over 30,000 patients solely through stress management techniques. Some who will remain nameless write him off as a crazy shaman, why? Because his methods are inexpensive and would cost some people billions maybe? Stress weakens the immune system more than most people realize, putting it into an acidic state. Its the acidic state of the immune system that makes it susceptible to disease and yes, raw foods enhance the alkaline state :p .

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Most things, not matter how healthy aren't for everyone. The list of allergies ect. is virtually endless. Studies of allergies and reactions are fascinating. There was a study that said a sample of people who ate skinless chicken breast were at greater risk of bladder cancer than people who ate it with the skin and there seems to be endless things like that. Not sure what to make of that or things like it. To the allergy thing, many are allergic to things they don't even realize too. Whole wheat for example is extremely healthy, but there are many who are allergic to it or gluten. As with protein, there are tons of ways to substitute pretty much anything. In the case of wheat, there's quinoa, buckwheat (no relation to wheat despite its name) and all kinds of things. Organic (that is grass fed, hormone free) cow's milk is nutritious, but many are lactose intolerant. Despite that there's all kinds of other milks (almond, soy, coconut, rice and so on). Soy can also be substituted for many different things. Even though whole grains are a greater concentration of fiber, someone mistaking their complex carbs for simple carbs can also get fiber from fruit. That's what's great about food, there are tons of possibilities :yes: .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...