Bellazon

What made you smile/laugh today?

frenchkiki

On 9/30/2021 at 9:53 PM, Cult Icon said:

It's just perplexing, I can't imagine WW2 being much relevant in regard to contemporary politics, which is now completely insane

Well it's true that the Soviets killed two out of every three German soldiers that died in the war.

On the other hand, without massive logistical support from the U.S., they would have never been able to do that.

People forget that the U.S. spent the equivalent of their GDP for two years of the war effort.

Both of these statements are true I think:

- Anglo-Saxon countries greatly -absurdly - undervalue the Soviet role in the allied victory on the European theater

- U.S. critics greatly undervalue the amount of U.S. logistical aid that went into supplying the Red Army.

But if you had to give credit to any one man for winning the war, I think Zhukov has the best case.

42 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

They are posing in a way that does seem meant to refer the painting?

No, they're posing like that because they are sad miserable people who drink way too much soy for their own good...  That is VP Harris' step daughter and she/her/him/they/bubblebee's date...  This is what the youth on the Left in the United States is slowly turning into.

FBB5DcbVUAg8aGQ.jpg

:rofl:

Perfect place to start the wtfness journey of discovery what's happening to America

https://www.instagram.com/libsoftiktok/?hl=en

4 hours ago, Prettyphile said:

No, they're posing like that because they are sad miserable people who drink way too much soy for their own good...  That is VP Harris' step daughter and she/her/him/they/bubblebee's date...  This is what the youth on the Left in the United States is slowly turning into.

FBB5DcbVUAg8aGQ.jpg

:rofl:

Perfect place to start the wtfness journey of discovery what's happening to America

https://www.instagram.com/libsoftiktok/?hl=en

I dunno who she/he is, but her T-shirt is literally a death threat to people who don't think like her/he.

They are feeble, but these ppl are still dangerous. If adults don't set limits, the US will rot (oh, and if that happens, please don't spread the freaking plague elsewhere  :angel:).

And it did not work ? :ohmy:

Never trust strangers. That is something most of us were taught by our parents or guardians at an early stage of our life, especially if the stranger says he is a sorcerer who can turn you invisible whilst you rob a bank!

Unfortunately, for one man in Iran, he made the mistake of trusting a fake sorcerer who convinced him that he was invisible and could rob a bank safely. The man explained to the court that he had paid five million rials (just under £290) to a wizard imposter, who in return gave him a set of spells to tie to his arm. The fake sorcerer explained to him that the spells would make him invisible, and that he could then rob banks all he wanted.

The man’s ill-fated attempt to rob the bank started to go wrong after he entered the bank and started randomly snatching money from the hands of customers, before they decided to act quickly and overpower the thief.

The man told the court, ‘I made a mistake. I understand now what a big trick was played on me.’

Not so much. :56608ac1cc5a3_smilynewone:

Well it's true that the Soviets killed two out of every three German soldiers that died in the war.

On the other hand, without massive logistical support from the U.S., they would have never been able to do that.

People forget that the U.S. spent the equivalent of their GDP for two years of the war effort.

Both of these statements are true I think:

- Anglo-Saxon countries greatly -absurdly - undervalue the Soviet role in the allied victory on the European theater

- U.S. critics greatly undervalue the amount of U.S. logistical aid that went into supplying the Red Army.

But if you had to give credit to any one man for winning the war, I think Zhukov has the best case.

The estimates of the figures vary, but the most common one is 80% of German casualties were against the Soviet Union.  The US "war economy" was massive and about half of the US economy in WW2.

Lend-lease was important but the Red Army produced the overwhelming majority of their own weapons so the Allied contribution here was minimal.  The Lend-lease categories were heavily concentrated in goods and raw materials that the Soviet economy had trouble procuring, that are just as important as weapons in sustaining and improving a military.

The Allies did a minority of the fighting, but in the economic contribution it was greater than the Soviets- not so much in terms of Lend-lease but the huge dispersal of German resources throughout Europe (spreading them thin) and also the Allied bombing/Naval campaign forced them to invest in a U-boat fleet, massive Anti-aircraft force (FLAK and fighters) that weakened the German Army and air force's offensive abilities in combat.

But I think it is pretty common knowledge that WW2 was defeated by a team, at least I haven't personally encountered anyone who said that that the US won WW2 nearly single-handingly.  There is definitely however a bias, it is clear to me that most British/American enthusiasts have massive gaps of knowledge about the German Army, the Eastern Front and Red Army.

The liberation of France in June- Sept 1944 was about 50: 50  America : UK/CW in terms of casualties, in terms of equipment the US contribution was more than the UK one.

That's what I remember from General history.  I focus mainly on units and operations, not on economics.