Bellazon

Classic Film Beauties

reticent

hey everybody, i tried posting this question on a film forum, but clearly they are amateurs over there. i must come to the experts of female beauty here at bellazon....

here's my idea:

being that some of the most beautiful women of the 20th century have been actresses, i wanted to start a list of female actresses in specific films that captured them at the height of their beauty. they would be honored as CFBs, classic film beauties.

several movies and women occurred to me immediately; others took some thinking. here is what i have so far:

1939 vivien leigh, gone with the wind

1942 ingrid bergman, casablanca

1956 brigitte bardot, and god created woman

1961 audrey hepburn, breakfast at tiffany's

1967 katharine ross, the graduate

1968 jacqueline bisset, bullitt

1970 ali macgraw, love story

1979 bo derek, 10

clearly i am missing many on this list.... please feel free to add the actress and film to the list, in chronological order if possible

for example, the best movie for marilyn? strictly in terms of where she looks most beautiful? (this is subjective, i know)

grace kelly? (rear window? dial m for murder?)

jane fonda?

katharine hepburn?

cybil shepherd?

ava gardner?

elizabeth taylor? (butterfield 8?)

raquel welch?

rita hayworth?

again, i am looking for specific films....

also, do you think any actress within the last ten or twenty years deserves to be on this list yet? maybe winona ryder, but did she ever really make it to classic status?

remember, not ditzy. classic, gorgeous, elegant, stunning.

thanks for your help!

p.s. after i get a good list, i want to rent the dvds and make some screen capures!

for Rita Hayworth, Gilda hands down. That scene in the bedroom where she flips her hair up and we see her for the first time is CLASSIC.

Grace Kelly is harder...I love her, and I think she looks gorgeous in everything...but Rear Window is one of my favorite movies, so I'll say that one :p

thanks OriginalSin! i am going to update the list and add your recommendations. i have heard many great things about gilda, that is high up on my netflix list.

one comment about the "classic" part, i don't necessarily mean it for classic films, i.e. older films, say from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. i meant more classic beauties in film. that is, gorgeous women who have or will stand the test of time and will be remembered for the exquisite beauty and screen presence.

i am very curious to hear suggestions from the past ten or twenty years. there are some many starlets out there, which ones do you think will be remembered fifty years from now?

i personally love rachel weisz and jennifer connelly. i love the dark haired beauties. but who knows. maybe in fifty years it will be keira knightley who will be remembered as the beauty of our day.

thanks again!

1946 rita hayworth, gilda

1954 grace kelly, rear window

1979 bo derek, 10

new entries!

thanks OriginalSin! i am going to update the list and add your recommendations. i have heard many great things about gilda, that is high up on my netflix list.

one comment about the "classic" part, i don't necessarily mean it for classic films, i.e. older films, say from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. i meant more classic beauties in film. that is, gorgeous women who have or will stand the test of time and will be remembered for the exquisite beauty and screen presence.

i am very curious to hear suggestions from the past ten or twenty years. there are some many starlets out there, which ones do you think will be remembered fifty years from now?

i personally love rachel weisz and jennifer connelly. i love the dark haired beauties. but who knows. maybe in fifty years it will be keira knightley who will be remembered as the beauty of our day.

thanks again!

hmm thanks for that clarification :) so hopefully more people will offer input :hehe:

Could Salma Hayek in Desperado (1995) qualify as one? Or Monica Bellucci in Malena (2000)?

i would have to say that salma hayek in desperado definitely qualifies. fifty years from now men will see that movie and say, holy !@#$% that woman was scorching hot. definitely. some might think she is "tacky" because of her cleavage, but salma's face is all classic beauty.

monica bellucci is also very hot, but her, like maria gracie cucinotta (sp?), i think falls a bit short. hasn't had the cultural impact of salma, hasn't been as relevant or hasn't captured the public's imagination in the same way.

partially i like the idea of tracking beauties over decades to see what it says about our culture. if a girl hasn't really made an impact culturally, she is out.

any agree or disgree about monica bellucci being on the list?

1946 rita hayworth, gilda

1954 grace kelly, rear window

1979 bo derek, 10

1995 salma hayek, desperado

updated and improved!

Qball, i have to agree with you. the first three are legendary for their roles in those particular movies (if not much else?). and raquel welch definitely goes onto that last, but for which movie? we need to research that.....

thanks for the input!

monica bellucci [...] falls a bit short. hasn't had the cultural impact of salma, hasn't been as relevant or hasn't captured the public's imagination in the same way.

Duh ! i bet you're not Italian or French ? Salma is NOTHING compared to Monica here, Monica is THE cinema goddess :ninja:

monica bellucci [...] falls a bit short. hasn't had the cultural impact of salma, hasn't been as relevant or hasn't captured the public's imagination in the same way.

Duh ! i bet you're not Italian or French ? Salma is NOTHING compared to Monica here, Monica is THE cinema goddess :ninja:

Taben, duh, i think you make a very good point . :)

shoot. i guess i never really thought about this on a global scale, more in terms of american culture. i admit i am not that much of a film buff to know film beauties over time at a domestic level, much less at an international level.

that is the exact reason i want to put this list together. i think if you are willing to help out, we can expand it! i am sure there must be many many amazingly beautiful european actresses, as well as latin american, asian, etc etc.

two of my favorites, for example, are marie gillain and virginie ledoyen. there are some spanish actresses which i think are extremely beautiful too, namely paz vega and leonor watling.

let's do two lists! maybe that will work.

I wouldn't say Salma is a classical... and I'm not very framiliar with Euro movies. Most of the "foreign" films I watch are from South and Central America. Not to mention, I don't have a thing for Monica.. but Salma is influencial in my culture because of her latin roots and because there aren't very many latina actresses that are in the extreme spotlight.