Bellazon

Mississippi Outlaws Sex Toys

schadenfreude

March 21, 2006 | 9:20 a.m. ET

Mississippi outlaws sex toys (Dan Abrams)

There is a landmark legal battle of constitutional proportions being fought down in Mississippi. It involves fundamental rights protected by the First and Fourteenth Amendments, not to mention the rights of certain small business owners to satisfy their customers. This week, another court refused to recognize Mississippians’ right to find companionship for 29.99 and so a law outlawing the sale of sex toys will stand.

“A person commits the offense of distributing unlawful sexual devices when he knowingly sells, advertises, publishes or exhibits to any person any three-dimensional device designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs or offers to do so or possesses such devices with the intent to do so.”

Well, I am glad to see that the local legislators are focusing on the most pressing issues of the day. I’ve long believed that a three-dimensional, possibly battery-operated device is far more menacing than a handgun. In Mississippi, people can buy guns at a gun show with no background check and certain weapons can be carried almost anywhere. Sure, guns and toys can bring joy and a sense of comfort to the user, but apparently the legislators concluded that a genital replica is a far greater threat to society.

This, from a state that levies only an 18-cent tax on cigarettes, 55 cents below the national average and where 62 percent of residents are overweight, making it the fattest state in the country. Yet still the public schools don’t make gym class compulsory. Mississippi’s laws would make you believe sex is the single greatest threat to public safety and well-being. After all, it’s illegal in Mississippi to have sex with someone you’re not married to or to live with someone other than your spouse.

Both can result in a $500 fine and six months in jail. And men are not permitted to be aroused in public. But at least good people are protected from the disfigurement that could result from an accidental electrical overload from a defective toy.

Georgia and Texas have passed similar bans and courts have repeatedly ruled the legislators have the power to do it. I guess the Second Amendment doesn’t say anything about the right to bear a stimulation device.

But the sex activists are not closing up shop in the South Pole just yet. They formed a lobbying group based in Florida called the National Alliance of Adult Trade Organizations or NAATO. Not, of course, to be confused with the other NATO, which is based in Brussels.

I don’t mean to pick on Mississippi. I love the state and the people, but I just don’t get why the legislators are fighting so hard for this law. We’re talking about adults here. It’s not that I really care about ensuring that these toys are ready accessible. Really. It’s just that you have to wonder, is one of these toys really a greater threat to the community than what real live people do to each other every day?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11701658/

There is a landmark legal battle of constitutional proportions being fought down in Mississippi. It involves fundamental rights protected by the First and Fourteenth Amendments ...

Hmm...

I fail to see how this is a constitutional issue, apart from this:

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States ..." (

If they're gonna outlaw sex toys, they really oughta outlaw guns, and cigarettes, and alcohol, and fast cars. You can do a lot more damage with any of that than with a freakin vibrator.

I hate this Puritanical country.

........but I love the SSI, the job opportunities, the weather, the people, and oh so much more.

I am the typical greedy american. I can't bear to wean myself off the breast of prosperity, but bitch (with reason) about the corrupt government and morally self-riteous cultural climate.

<_<

• 3 years later...
There is a landmark legal battle of constitutional proportions being fought down in Mississippi. It involves fundamental rights protected by the First and Fourteenth Amendments ...

Hmm...

I fail to see how this is a constitutional issue, apart from this:

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States ..." (� 1, Amendment XIV)

I guess someone could bring suit if they wanted to.

funny, there are few months ago i talked with someone on the forum and she told me that this kind of laws in USA were obsolete and nobody take care of them... this is not because people don't respect the laws that they are forgotten... and 2006 isn't so far

about the amendment i think that's wrong... :whistle: and i answer because people can trust wrong informations..

i know i'm blonde, i know i'm french, but if i remember well the first amendment has been create for the freedom of speech and religion and it legalizes pacifist meetings. there is not link with sex toys...

in the fourteenth amendment, yes they talk about privileges (as a property) : your life, your house, your freedom. so the state can't put someone in prison, kill someone without be judged, a bank can't take his car, house without a legal way because people can't pay their credit and have too many bills...

this amendment respects the property and doesn't forbid people to buy sex toy... because there is a big difference between SELL something in a sex shop in Mississipi and buy (edit, i don't know why i wrote "get" instead of "buy" sorry for the mistake) a sex toy... by the way, people in mississipi certainly can buy sex toys on internet...

this is my opinion, but this law is legal even if this is very unrespectuous against the gay community...

Living in the south most of my life (Alabama), Mississippi has always been a strange state, the legislative body has always focused on strange issues.

As former military, I gave many years of my life to support the constitution and freedoms of our country. I know I didn't serve so that they could start taking away freedoms from people, and this is the thanks this state gives to its residents......makes me disgusted.

Since they are considered a bible belt state, it's no surprise that they would do something like this. If these politicians are so offended by the local sale of sex toys then it's a simple solution.....just focus on more important issues, which I'm sure there are many.

With today's economy as bad as it is, this issue hurts not only local business owners but it also hurts the customers, as now they have to travel to make their purchases.

Mississippi politics needs to come out of the bask woods, face reality. The sale of these items are a big business and is not going to go away. It brings pleasure to owners and customers. So let's worry about more important problems and quit taking away freedoms of it's citizens.

• 7 years later...