Bellazon

Questions & Tutorials about Scanning

Guys, i'm planning to scan some pictures taking from Dutch magazines and post them here and in other groups! But since i'm new to the whole scanning pictures/photos part I was hoping to get some advice. I'm looking for a scanner so that I can scan in some photos/picutres from magazines in good quality?

Hope you can give me some advice on different Models

Kind Regars

• 1 month later...

Is there a site where I could learn how to turn small photos into nice big scans? If I have a medium to full page picture I do just fine, but my scans of smaller pictures are crap. Any help would be appreciated and repaid with great big scans of small pictures! ;)

Edited by dbyooper

This isn't the appropriate section for this sort of thread.

Sorry, I was at the Stephanie Seymour thread and someone wrote that a picture was scanned when they sucked at it. I thought it was a good time to ask my question, but started a new topic instead of just replying. It's been a bad day.

• 3 weeks later...

I've modified the title of this thread. From now on all questions about scanning (technical questions, how to edit, etc) can be posted in this thread. Also feel free to volunteer advice and tutorials even if someone doesnt have a specific question :flower:

• 1 month later...
dbyooper:

Can you show some examples of your crap scans compared to your good scans?

Here goes. post-3274-1146869344_thumb.jpgpost-3274-1146869385_thumb.jpgpost-3274-1146869586_thumb.jpgpost-3274-1146869648_thumb.jpg

They all need work i guess. The second doesn't look bad full size but when it fits to page it is a mess. The first, Amy Bracco, is probably the best of them. The last of Charlize Theron was a small picture out of magazine, which I have the most trouble with. The first was a half page of a magazine, the second was full page ad, the third was a full page ad. This last one is of Claudia Schiffer and works great to print out. maybe not so good on the screen. post-3274-1146869976_thumb.jpg

It was scanned from a large calendar.

dbyooper:

Can you show some examples of your crap scans compared to your good scans?

Here goes. post-3274-1146869344_thumb.jpgpost-3274-1146869385_thumb.jpgpost-3274-1146869586_thumb.jpgpost-3274-1146869648_thumb.jpg

They all need work i guess. The second doesn't look bad full size but when it fits to page it is a mess. The first, Amy Bracco, is probably the best of them. The last of Charlize Theron was a small picture out of magazine, which I have the most trouble with. The first was a half page of a magazine, the second was full page ad, the third was a full page ad. This last one is of Claudia Schiffer and works great to print out. maybe not so good on the screen. post-3274-1146869976_thumb.jpg

It was scanned from a large calendar.

Some of those look like it's the paper the picture was printed on. Real grainy, low grade paper will make the picture look bad when you scan it, and there's nothing you can do about it. Sometimes scanning it with low resolution helps, but not always.

• 1 year later...

Scanning by section works but it's difficult since you would still have to make sure that when you scan them they're perfectly flush or else you're gonna lose quality when you rotate them in photoshop.

What's worked for me in the past is that I made friends with a geodetic engineer and they play with maps all the time... maps are oversized are they not? He directed me to some places with oversized scanning/copying. I'm sure the same goes for architects...

• 3 months later...

Yes same method, You just scan not the hole file. 1st scan the all parts of that file. After that if you are not using the Photo shop you can also use the microsoft paint. With that you can just cut, merge your scanning file easily. Hope this will help you.