Bellazon

Doutzen Kroes
Thumbnail

azkid

56 minutes ago, Mille Backer said:

Shoot for KOMP... 

spacer.png

Very sweet she's saving elephants but there are still many elephants left in the wild (half a million of african elephants in the wild) and perhaps it should be time to save other animals ...ones that need it the most right now

- Siberian tiger (500 in the wild)

- Gorilla (800 in the wild)

- Rhinos species (some of them u can count on 1 hand)

- Amur leopard (20 or so left in the wild)

And the list of rare species goes on and on and on 

Wish that KOMP would focus each year on a different animal

Every year they collect millions for the elephants but with those millions $ they can easily and quickly save rare animal species

14 hours ago, Hollander said:

Very sweet she's saving elephants but there are still many elephants left in the wild (half a million of african elephants in the wild) and perhaps it should be time to save other animals ...ones that need it the most right now

- Siberian tiger (500 in the wild)

- Gorilla (800 in the wild)

- Rhinos species (some of them u can count on 1 hand)

- Amur leopard (20 or so left in the wild)

And the list of rare species goes on and on and on 

Wish that KOMP would focus each year on a different animal

Every year they collect millions for the elephants but with those millions $ they can easily and quickly save rare animal species

I love this job but in terms of fashion the results are very tedious!  

Maybe if she focuses on other animals she doesn't have enough money to help the elephants, that amount should be what they need... Other celebrities should mobilize to save other species!

DOUTZEN KROES HAS A NEW PURPOSE, AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RUNWAY

Don’t underestimate the life-changing power of a vacation. “It was love at first sight with the elephants, but also with the Douglas-Hamiltons,” the Dutch supermodel Doutzen Kroes says of her trip to Kenya. There she visited the Elephant Watch Camp in the country’s Samburu National Reserve, operated by mother-and-daughter duo Oria and Saba Douglas-Hamilton. Kroes watched as her then four-year-old son sat transfixed by the elephants for two hours, and found herself equally fascinated. The trip also had a less idyllic element: Kroes learned about how poaching was decimating the elephant population. “I came back with so much anger, but also so much awareness about how we have to put a stop to this,” she says.

Post-trip, she sat down with David Bonnouvrier, the founder of DNA Model Management, and fellow model Trish Goff, and signed on as a global ambassador for Goff and Bonnouvrier’s charity, Knot On My Planet. “Human beings tie knots to not forget about things, and elephants are known to never forget about anything,” she says. “But we are forgetting about them.” What followed was an Ice Bucket Challenge–style social media push, encouraging followers to post pictures of themselves tying knots as a symbolic show of support

Knot On My Planet has since tapped the trio’s bulging Rolodex of fashion industry contacts, launching projects with Tiffany & Co., Loewe, and Holt Renfrew. For the charity’s social media launch, Kroes performed a supermodel hat trick, reuniting Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington, and Linda Evangelista for a black-and-white portrait. “They were my idols in the ’90s!” she exclaims. “To get them involved, and to see the trio in one picture...I was on set when it happened, and it was mind-blowing. Doing that for us, and for the elephants, was incredible to witness.” To date, Knot On My Planet has raised $8 million for the cause, and is now the biggest donor to the Elephant Crisis Fund (a joint initiative between Save the Elephants, the Wildlife Conservation Network, and the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation). “To be the voice of a species that doesn’t have one just feels amazing,” she says.

For Kroes, who grew up in eco-friendly Holland biking and eating produce from her family’s vegetable garden, the cause gave her much-needed purpose. “Something clicked. It was like, ‘Now I know why I went through this, and created all these connections,’ because coming from where I came from, I thought, ‘What am I doing to help the world?’ It was incredible to see all these people I have worked with over the years participate in our campaign.”

Grand gestures aside, Kroes strives to conserve as much as possible in small ways. “We don’t have plastic straws in our home—we use stainless steel straws. We don’t have plastic bags; I take a [reusable] shopping bag,” she says. “I drive my husband crazy. Every time he goes shopping, I tell him, ‘Bring the bag!’ ” She even brings her own glass containers to pick up takeout, and hopes that her two children will learn by example: “Sometimes you don’t even need to say anything, just do it.”

Photographed by Chris Colls; Styled by Ilona Hamer; Hair by David Von Cannon at Starworks Artists; Makeup by Sil Bruinsma at Streeters; Manicure by Makisakamoto at The Wall Group. Produced by Catherine Sans at Serlin Associates.

elle-cover-doutzen-7-2019-final-1559682682.jpg elm070119wl-cover0010-1-1559597998.jpg doutzen-2-1559682718.jpg