Bellazon

Doutzen Kroes
Thumbnail

azkid

Grazia Italia September 2017 cover

Nice cover

(I hoped it would be a cover for The Edit magazine)

Styled by Jetteke van Lexmond

Hair/make-up by Mo Karadag

But seriously.... she's a topmodel but she can't give us different face expressions

I would be very bored doing the same expression over and over again ... for everything

Nice surprise!

I love the pose on The Edit cover ... hopefully more pics soon

--------------------------------

Today King Kong magazine revealed their 4 covers for the next 6 months (Fall/Winter 2017.18)

Doutzen is not part of it .... that means her Ibiza shoot by Mert & Marcus must be for Vogue Italia (99.99999% sure) 

Hopefully for the October cover & hopefully no multiple covers with on each cover a different model because that makes it less special)

The Edit (September 21, 2017)
3qH8DI4A_o.thumb.jpg.a7892c6bd169890fa1e91a0b576ff8e1.jpg
A New Direction
Model Doutzen Kroes
Photographer Sebastian Kim
Styling Tracy Taylor

After more than a decade ruling the runways, supermodel Doutzen Kroes is turning her focus to acting and activism. She talks social media and saving elephants with Jane Mulkerrins.

It’s Monday afternoon in Manhattan, a few days before the end of New York Fashion Week. The world’s most glamorous traveling circus will shortly be packing up its elegant tents and crossing the Atlantic for London, the second stop on its multi-city tour. But, until then, The Mercer hotel in SoHo is Model Hq. Stepping into the lobby, I stumble across Cindy Crawford, propped up on a sofa, in leather leggings. To my left, among a sea of man-buns, is singer Justine Skye. It’s hard to know quite who to stare at first.

I find the supermodel I am actually seeking, Doutzen Kroes, at a table with her husband, Dj Sunnery James. As she stands to greet me – all 5 feet, 10-and-a-half inches of flawless Dutch beauty – she spots Crawford too, and pops over for a quick hello and a hug. When, on her return, Kroes politely requests to sit with her back to the door to minimize disruptions, I understand why. Though she is sporting a pair of oversized Grey Ant glasses (non-prescription), they are highly ineffective in terms of a disguise.

For over a decade, 32-year-old Kroes has been one of the world’s highest-earning models, thanks to her role as ambassador for L’Oréal and contracts with luxury brands such as Tiffany & Co. She was a Victoria’s Secret Angel for nine years before hanging up her wings in 2014. In her runway career, she’s modeled for almost every major fashion label, including Saint Laurent, Prada, Gucci, Valentino and Dolce & Gabbana. But she’s no longer part of the runway cavalry, walking multiple times a day, in all four cities during Fashion Month.

“I have options for Versace, in Milan – it’s a big anniversary – and then a couple of shows in Paris,” she says of her catwalk commitments. “Maybe three in total. That’s enough for me.” 

After 12 years in New York, Kroes is now based back in Amsterdam, and when she’s in town is more likely to be found front row than backstage. This morning she was at The Row, and is still sporting the safari-style pants, shirt and desert boots the label lent her to wear. The simple, slightly masculine ensemble is her to a tee. “I’m not good with the ‘lady’ look,” she says. “I like men’s shirts, oversized sweaters and trench coats.”

The modeling world has changed measurably since Kroes’ debut on the catwalk. “There was a group of ten of us [including Gisele Bündchen, Agyness Deyn and Alessandra Ambrosio] that did everything,” she says. “When Cindy [Crawford] was modeling, it was six of them that did everything. Now, there are very few girls that survive season to season – they last for one and they’re gone. The ones that last are all popular on social media.” She laments today’s culture of constant connectivity. “How do I teach my children not to become phone junkies?” she asks, earnestly.

Her son, Phyllon, is six; her daughter, Myllena, three. “My son is already asking when he can have his own iPhone,” she sighs. But technology has its advantages, she admits. “It’s given models a voice: you can have an opinion, mobilize and raise awareness, and it doesn’t take much effort. We can use our power and influence for good.”

And that is what Kroes is now doing, with her passion project #KnotOnMyPlanet, raising money and awareness to protect elephants. Inspired by a trip to Kenya’s Samburu National Reserve, during which Kroes witnessed the devastating effects of poaching, the charity celebrates its first anniversary this month via a collaboration with Tiffany & Co. (who will donate the profits of its Save the Wild collection to the Elephant Crisis Fund), worn by a gallery of Kroes’ friends including Cara Delevingne, Joan Smalls and Candice Swanepoel. “I always wondered, ‘What do I do that is good for the world?’” says Kroes. “Now, I have found my purpose.”

Her love for conservation did not come completely out of the blue. “When I was a kid, I wanted to move to Borneo and work with orangutans,” she grins. “I never saw fashion magazines – my parents only read the newspaper.” Her mother still eschews popular culture: “I had to tell her recently who Kim Kardashian was,” laughs Kroes. Her childhood, in the small village of Eastermar, sounds idyllic. “My parents had a vegetable garden, which we would eat everything from, and for family vacations we’d drive to France, rent a house and go hiking.”

It was music, rather than fashion, which inspired Kroes, at 17, to secretly send pictures to a modeling agency in Amsterdam – “I saw a Cd cover of Jennifer Lopez looking so glamorous and I just wanted to look like that.” A year later, having only ever been to Amsterdam once, and never having heard of Victoria’s Secret, she was touching down, alone, in New York City.

It was a baptism of fashion fire, living in a shared house in the city’s Meatpacking District with five fellow aspiring models. “I was lonely and homesick,” recalls Kroes. “As a model, you are thrown into a cruel world. You’re only judged on your looks and you have to learn not to take it personally.”

She was, at first, constantly rejected for being “too beautiful”. “It was the time of heroin-chic, and I was too commercial-looking,” she shrugs. “I was a little bigger than the other girls; I would have fitted better in the ’90s.” Did she ever feel pressure to lose weight? “Yes, and it was difficult. But I told my agency, ‘This is what you have to work with.’ I couldn’t starve myself. Ironically, I’m skinnier now than I was ten years ago. After having babies, my whole body changed.”

Her big break came when Steven Meisel shot her for Vogue Italia. “People suddenly liked me, and I couldn’t understand why. I was so naive, I asked: ‘What has changed?
I haven’t changed, I was the same last week.’ It was a big lesson.”

She made her debut at the 2005 Victoria’s Secret show alongside Heidi Klum, Tyra Banks and Adriana Lima. “It was always my favorite show,” Kroes beams. “It’s the only moment a model gets rewarded right away. I compare the Vs show to my husband’s job – you perform; people react immediately. You get such a rush from it.”

Performance is what Kroes is now concentrating on. She’s branching out into acting and earlier this year starred in the hugely successful Wonder Woman, as Amazonian warrior Venelia.

“It’s a slow process, transitioning from modeling to acting,” she says. “I think the only one who has done it successfully is Cara [Delevingne]. Most of the roles I’m offered are as the girl that the husband would cheat with.” She rolls her eyes. “So there are a lot of nos. I don’t want to be just the pretty woman.”

And what of her hopes for her own offspring? New York Fashion Week saw Kaia Gerber, Crawford’s 16-year-old daughter, make her catwalk debut at Alexander Wang. Would Kroes be happy for Myllena to walk the runway when the time comes? “I don’t know,” she muses. “Now, everyone just wants to be famous. I want my girl to aspire to become a president.” Venelia would undoubtedly approve.

WDQ6Fku8_o.thumb.jpg.876d7f099bd0d5fc9f587c189741593f.jpg2a7GEKdS_o.thumb.jpg.80e646f42de3c8110b2a2003a79c7ed7.jpgzq91XVhg_o.thumb.jpg.c3edc775d5c7ce2e354a8cd2219ed918.jpgkqnYRKLj_o.thumb.jpg.9ba67c0098a9eebcf966da9d01758401.jpgQQ5BCMTP_o.thumb.jpg.544907da3256ccaeb11c9d7f95ffcaeb.jpgUkbMZn9S_o.thumb.jpg.5601ef61d20240eab9b4749615dc5e6c.jpgaCygGh9R_o.thumb.jpg.47239d920f61f60d9e8f1bb329af0803.jpgSozciSUW_o.thumb.jpg.1b5b872fec93f6422305662100b915d5.jpgSWVsSJH9_o.thumb.jpg.2f1d4f6d434ec420c39d18f9b72a6856.jpg

Net a porter - via Nymphaea TFS