Bellazon

Models.com working "Icons"

houndstooth

Icons of the Modeling World  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these models do you consider an icon?

• Kate Moss
    • Gisele Bundchen
    • Carolyn Murphy
    • Natalia Vodianova
    • Liya Kebede
    • Stella Tennant
    • Carmen Kass
    • Angela Lindvall
    • Erin Wasson
    • Karolina Kurkova
    • Amber Valetta
    • Linda Evangelista
    • Claudia Schiffer
    • Karen Elson
    • Naomi Campbell
  2. 2. There's no way they should have chosen:

• Kate Moss
    • Gisele Bundchen
    • Carolyn Murphy
    • Natalia Vodianova
    • Liya Kebede
    • Stella Tennant
    • Carmen Kass
    • Angela Lindvall
    • Erin Wasson
    • Karolina Kurkova
    • Amber Valetta
    • Linda Evangelista
    • Claudia Schiffer
    • Karen Elson
    • Naomi Campbell

i agree completely with their 15 -- with the exception of Erin Wasson . . ..WTF????

when did she become an "Icon"???? nobody on earth knows who she is except for the fashion people. an Adriana, Alessandra, Fernanda Tavares, is FAR more recognizeable.

AND i'd definitely consider Eva Herzigova as an "icon". she's still working after years and years. just as long as the rest of the early 1990s Supermodels.

Erin wasson just does Maybelline, she's not big in the high fashion industry :ninja: and i wonder what she's doing on that list too... Same with Carolyn Murphy actually :|

Well, actually Erin is pretty big. She did ads for Armani, Kors and Lagerfeld Gallery last season, and I think she's in Balenciaga and Rolex this season. She also still gets booked for the A+ runway shows. Her time is probably up but she was pretty big not long ago.

Carolyn Murphy has her Estee Lauder deal, GAP, SI, etc. She did Fendi last season as well. Both are past their primes, but they still are "big" name models.

^^ i am sorry but i ABSOLUTElY disagree.

Carolyn Murphy -- sure. i have no problem with her being on that list. she's a very recognizeable face. everyone on Earth sees the Estee Lauder ads and everyone on Earth sees the SI Swimsuit issue.

But Erin -- no way. in terms of purely High Fashion, Erin is by no means bigger than a Gemma or Daria, and I don't think that either of those two deserve to be on a "icons" list yet either. they just haven't been successful for LONG enough. and in terms of commercial recognizeablility, maybe she's a Maybelline girl, but so is Adriana Lima, and Adriana is CERTAINLY a more recognizeable celebrity. she has multiple multi-million dollar commercial endorsements and is one of the most frequently googled women on the internet. as anyone who Adriana Lima is and maybe 40-50% will know, but ask those same people who Erin Wasson is, and it will be ALOT less.

the ONLY reason i could understand is if each of the models have to be in an actual CAMPAIGN this season. apparently VS doesn't count, and neither do cosmetics. . . .so that could explain why no adriana. . . still though --- Erin Wasson??

again -- i really must beg the question, WHERE IS EVA????

Edited by happycanadian2

^^ i am sorry but i ABSOLUTElY disagree.

Carolyn Murphy -- sure. i have no problem with her being on that list. she's a very recognizeable face. everyone on Earth sees the Estee Lauder ads and everyone on Earth sees the SI Swimsuit issue.

But Erin -- no way. in terms of purely High Fashion, Erin is by no means bigger than a Gemma or Daria, and I don't think that either of those two deserve to be on a "icons" list yet either. they just haven't been successful for LONG enough. and in terms of commercial recognizeablility, maybe she's a Maybelline girl, but so is Adriana Lima, and Adriana is CERTAINLY a more recognizeable celebrity. she has multiple multi-million dollar commercial endorsements and is one of the most frequently googled women on the internet. as anyone who Adriana Lima is and maybe 40-50% will know, but ask those same people who Erin Wasson is, and it will be ALOT less.

the ONLY reason i could understand is if each of the models have to be in an actual CAMPAIGN this season. apparently VS doesn't count, and neither do cosmetics. . . .so that could explain why no adriana. . . still though --- Erin Wasson??

again -- i really must beg the question, WHERE IS EVA????

While I certainly agree that Adriana and Eva are more popular than Erin, Stella, Liya, Karen, Carolyn, Angela, Natalia etc. The criteria set by MDC is this:

"those 15 working "icons" of the moment (defined as celebrity models with public recognition, established longevity and a major magazine cover within the last 3 years)"

Basically, the list is essentially high-fashion girls who have become popular and don't really walk the runways/work as much. Gemma and Daria haven't been around long enough to be on the icons list. Actually Erin just got onto it like this past year. She used to be #2 on the working models list about a year ago right behind Daria, but since she "worked" long enough she got moved to the icon list.

Actually, VS counts. Karolina is on there and all she has is VS and VS is also listed under Gisele. Adriana, Alessandra, Heidi, etc aren't even considered high-fashion at all, so thats why they are left off the list.

Does Claudia even work that much anymore? Because if she's on there, then Cindy and Christy should be on there. I understand Naomi and Linda because they still model quite a bit.

okay . . .. so if this is the criteria:

"those 15 working "icons" of the moment (defined as celebrity models with public recognition, established longevity and a major magazine cover within the last 3 years)"

fine. i'll agree that adriana is not high fashion.

however, in 2003 and 2004, Eva Herzigova had the 2 biggest years of her entire career. she was in the Burberry, Louis Vuitton and more campaigns. She had International Vogue covers. Maybe in the past year she hasn't done as much modelling, BUT, she's still been in editorials in US and Italian Vogue, and she's doing the Alessandra Dell'Aqua ads, and launched her own swimwear line, was at the opening of the Olympic Games, etc etc.

she is definitely High Fashion, AND also one of the most successful commercial models since 1990. longevity is not even possible to question.

erin wasson???? blecht.

i'd easily easily put even someone like Jaquetta Wheeler above her.

^^^ WHAT??

okay -- i'm as big a fan of KK's as it gets, so i'm certainly not disputing her being on that list. . she IS and icon and a modern supermodel.

but to say that Naomi ISN'T an icon is actually nothing short of complete ignorance. she's been one of the top 5 supermodels for over 15 years. she still works and has multiple covers each year. SHE HAS 52 DIFFERENT VOGUE COVERS.

"icon" is a word that was created for people like Naomi.

maybe you think she is hideous and deformed and an totally over-rated model --and that's totally fine, since we're each entitled to our own opinion, but Naomi's status as an "icon" is more than opinion, it is a FACT.

^^^ WHAT??

okay -- i'm as big a fan of KK's as it gets, so i'm certainly not disputing her being on that list. . she IS and icon and a modern supermodel.

but to say that Naomi ISN'T an icon is actually nothing short of complete ignorance. she's been one of the top 5 supermodels for over 15 years. she still works and has multiple covers each year. SHE HAS 52 DIFFERENT VOGUE COVERS.

"icon" is a word that was created for people like Naomi.

maybe you think she is hideous and deformed and an totally over-rated model --and that's totally fine, since we're each entitled to our own opinion, but Naomi's status as an "icon" is more than opinion, it is a FACT.

I am totally agree with what you've said

• 3 months later...

Kate Moss: Amazing.

(It was close there- My other choice would have been Naomi- she's done amazing things for fashion and paved the way for other black models.)

Stella Tennant: Disgusting. Did you see her backstage at Chanel this year? Not pretty.

Yes: Natalia.

She is amazing, when everyone thought her career was over because she got pregnant, her stock went up. Besides.

I couldn't have done something obvious like vote for Kate now.

No: Stella.

I say this not because I think she is ugly, if photographed, she is breathtaking. Now I said no to her because she went from almost being on top to...well, not.