Bellazon

RIP Steve Paul Jobs

Cult Icon

^

Gallup statistical studies on Entrepreneurship in the US point out that out that out of our entire population of working age adults: only 0.3% are entrepreneur types that help run > $50 million annual revenue stream. Steve Jobs's greatest accomplishments are Apple ($350 Billion Market Cap) and Pixar, and both companies have generated enduring value to the world.

He is, without a doubt, one of the best technology leaders in history.

-------------------

The end of his 2005 Stanford University address:

"This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope it's the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma

^

He was naturally a bit ruthless (in dealmaking & management) in a ruthless industry- particularly towards the original Pixar team-, but seemingly less so than Ellison or Gates. He was definitely no ordinary fortune 500 CEO from the executive training mill. It is rare that the execution skills of a single man can have such an impact on a large organization- but he was one of them, and one of the very few.