Bellazon

Is ANTOP MODEL a joke?

frenchkiki

I love watching ANTM but could you name me a girl (not even one of the winner) who is now a top model? Or at least a successful model working non stop for magazines & designers. A girl with fashion/cosmetics contracts she landed herself because of her talent? After 16 cycles i am still waiting to see the AMERICA NEXT TOP MODEL!

they should call the show America next who is she already model?

^I don't know, maybe if one finally was then Tyra would bugger off? :ermm:

Ah, but wouldn't you miss it? It's a quite wonderful exercise in look-at-me-ism - a trait Tyra shares with fellow VS alum Heidi, on shows where she's not supposed to be the main focus either... Hmmm, someone else suddenly springs to mind too: maybe they get taught it at "Angel" boot-camp??? :shifty:

I love watching ANTM but could you name me a girl (not even one of the winner) who is now a top model? Or at least a successful model working non stop for magazines & designers. A girl with fashion/cosmetics contracts she landed herself because of her talent? After 16 cycles i am still waiting to see the AMERICA NEXT TOP MODEL!

they should call the show America next who is she already model?

Weeellllllllll.... Fatima Siad, while nowhere near Lara Stone's level or even fellow NTM alum Patricia Van Der Vliet is still quite successful. She's done DKNY, BGBG a whole lot of runway... And some of them have found nice niches like Fo Porter who has done Nike, Target, Reebok and pretty much every single sportswear brand you can think of or Katy Cleary as a glamour/fitness model.

But all in all they are more likely to become reality stars (Toccara Jones, Adrianne Curry), TV-host-and-occasional-actress (Eva Marcille and somewhat Caridee English and Yoanna House) or C-list actresses (Cassandra Whitehead, Analeigh Tipton and Yaya DaCosta) than successful models.

But yeah, the show is both about Tyra, not the girls, and a joke and by the looks of the ratings may not stay around that much longer even if it is on the CW. Which is a shame because I love public humiliation shows so much.

ANTM has realized this and keeps 'reinventing' itself. The current prizes are definitely more sophisticated than before. Unfortunately, you are more than likely not going to find the next supermodel, high fashion model, or top VS model. Maybe we could find at least one person sometime in the future that truly becomes a top model, but that depends on how long the show stays on and how they guide her.

I didn't know Patricia was a Next Top Model contestant.... from the more famous ones, I'm pretty sure Suvi Koponen won Finland's edition... and Cassie Van Den Dungen (sp?), I could see her doing a big career as she was offered a million dollar contract but declined because she didn't want to leave her boyfriend for a long time and said that French people are 'snail eaters'. :rofl: I didn't watch Australia's Next Top Model but the girl surely sounds crazy.

You know what is a bigger joke? Or maybe not a joke, but sad reality.... Poland's edition of this show. First of all, Joanna Krupa is a host. I mean... really? If the show was about finding a new playmate or some male magazine models, then she'd be ideal :cain: also, the show itself has very little to do with fashion, especially the second season (which is currently on). On castings, jury accepts girls shorter than 170cm and older than 26 years-old. How is that finding the next top model? Also, as this thread is about American edition, so I don't wanna talk about Polish edition any longer but let me tell you, it is really bad. Humiliating, degrading and really stupid. I admit I watched the first season thinking of it as a 'silly' show but this is a new low.

Well, the winner of the first season (Adrian Curry I believe her name is or something) went on to marry one of the Brady Bunch brothers and got her own reality TV show. Nicole Fox, who won the "Petite" season of ANTM has been getting fairly consistent commercial work, doing a lot stuff for Wildfox Couture and Forever 21. However, other than that...

Nope. The show's kinda like a joke. I actually think casters are less inclined to use someone if they've been on the show. Now that's saying something... :/

That almost seems like a trick question :laugh: . Of course its a joke. Most of the other versions have had less seasons and produced more models. On top of that, the premise of what they even claim to be looking for is ridiculous. They claim to be looking for a high fashion model, but are sponsored by Cover Girl and half the time they say they want high fashion and half the time they say they want someone to relate to the public. Americans don't relate to high fashion models anyway and most high fashion models start much younger than a lot of them are. If they really cared about making an American top model, they'd either just sell all out to commercial modeling totally or just have a VS or SI type model search. Its all about the drama and with there being so many more drama oriented reality shows now than when it started, I'm surprised its survived this long. Almost every group follows the same blueprint. There's the one that was called ugly in school, the single mother, the 'pretty one' that has to be lectured that 'being pretty isn't enough', the one with the bad attitude, the one whose mission in life is to see the one with the bad attitude sent home, the one who has to emphasize that the other girls don't want it as much and don't deserve to be there in every interview, the one with the health condition and the one with the secret. Put them all in a house together, give them bad makeovers (99% looking worse after said makeovers).

"You have some nice long hair"

"Thank you, the women in my family for the last several generations grow it as our personal symbol."

"That's great. What we're going to do today is make you bald. Being a model is about sacrifices. Are you willing to sacrifice?"

Next girls..."You are bald? Lets die your hair and make it stretch to your ankles."

"You have long red hair? Lets cut it short and die it black."

"You have midrange brown hair? Lets give you platnum blonde dreadlocks."

If they survive this, lets put them all in a room with twenty pictures of Tyra and one phone and watch them fight over the phone and pretend to be surprised every time they see Tyra, yay. Most of them aren't even model height and most can't even name more than two designers and oftentimes, they have to strain their brains to even name more than two models or fashion publications when asked. On top of all that, I and anyone else can find girls who look better and more like models after walking ten minutes in any shopping mall in America and that's no exaggeration at all.

she was offered a million dollar contract but declined because she didn't want to leave her boyfriend

That was fabricated by the press.

Really? I didn't know... well, recently I read somewhere she's knocked up, so I doubt her career will take off in the near future :whistle:

That almost seems like a trick question :laugh: . Of course its a joke. Most of the other versions have had less seasons and produced more models. On top of that, the premise of what they even claim to be looking for is ridiculous. They claim to be looking for a high fashion model, but are sponsored by Cover Girl and half the time they say they want high fashion and half the time they say they want someone to relate to the public. Americans don't relate to high fashion models anyway and most high fashion models start much younger than a lot of them are. If they really cared about making an American top model, they'd either just sell all out to commercial modeling totally or just have a VS or SI type model search. Its all about the drama and with there being so many more drama oriented reality shows now than when it started, I'm surprised its survived this long. Almost every group follows the same blueprint. There's the one that was called ugly in school, the single mother, the 'pretty one' that has to be lectured that 'being pretty isn't enough', the one with the bad attitude, the one whose mission in life is to see the one with the bad attitude sent home, the one who has to emphasize that the other girls don't want it as much and don't deserve to be there in every interview, the one with the health condition and the one with the secret. Put them all in a house together, give them bad makeovers (99% looking worse after said makeovers).

"You have some nice long hair"

"Thank you, the women in my family for the last several generations grow it as our personal symbol."

"That's great. What we're going to do today is make you bald. Being a model is about sacrifices. Are you willing to sacrifice?"

Next girls..."You are bald? Lets die your hair and make it stretch to your ankles."

"You have long red hair? Lets cut it short and die it black."

"You have midrange brown hair? Lets give you platnum blonde dreadlocks."

If they survive this, lets put them all in a room with twenty pictures of Tyra and one phone and watch them fight over the phone and pretend to be surprised every time they see Tyra, yay. Most of them aren't even model height and most can't even name more than two designers and oftentimes, they have to strain their brains to even name more than two models or fashion publications when asked. On top of all that, I and anyone else can find girls who look better and more like models after walking ten minutes in any shopping mall in America and that's no exaggeration at all.

:rofl: +1 with everything said here. especially the hair part

• 2 weeks later...