Bellazon

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Cult Icon

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's interesting given that this was cited alongside The Phantom Menace as an example of initial hype being so strong that people talked about liking it after leaving and then realised later that it wasn't as good as they originally thought, that I think I've actually come to view TDKR more favourably than I did at the time of release. Watching it more objectively now, I think it's a great look into the psyche of Wayne and his reluctance, for better or worse, to give up his double life. In terms of telling a story about Batman and that internal struggle that he has, I honestly think it does a better job than any of the other live action movies. The only real weak link I felt was Marion Cotillard, but with repeated viewings (and of course, knowing the twist ahead of time), the character feels a bit more nuanced than I first thought. Nolan's trilogy should really be seen as one extremely long film, plot points are interconnected throughout and feel completely natural, like a complete story.

18 minutes ago, Michael* said:

It's interesting given that this was cited alongside The Phantom Menace as an example of initial hype being so strong that people talked about liking it after leaving and then realised later that it wasn't as good as they originally thought, that I think I've actually come to view TDKR more favourably than I did at the time of release. Watching it more objectively now, I think it's a great look into the psyche of Wayne and his reluctance, for better or worse, to give up his double life. In terms of telling a story about Batman and that internal struggle that he has, I honestly think it does a better job than any of the other live action movies. The only real weak link I felt was Marion Cotillard, but with repeated viewings (and of course, knowing the twist ahead of time), the character feels a bit more nuanced than I first thought. Nolan's trilogy should really be seen as one extremely long film, plot points are interconnected throughout and feel completely natural, like a complete story.

I view TDKR as a noble failure of sorts- I admire what he tried to do even if it didn't fully work.  What this is in Storytelling structure is plotting the downfall of the hero (TDK was the apex) and his transformation to a new identity, and then a new life- crafting a legacy.  

The TV series Vikings has the downfall to legacy done in detail for Ragnar and now Lagethera over the course of seasons.  The challenging part of this type of story is that it requires a thorough depiction of an internal struggle, developing in subtle steps.  This means lot of good/hard acting and writing, and perhaps more time than a film can provide.

On 1/3/2019 at 4:28 PM, Cult Icon said:

I view TDKR as a noble failure of sorts- I admire what he tried to do even if it didn't fully work.  What this is in Storytelling structure is plotting the downfall of the hero (TDK was the apex) and his transformation to a new identity, and then a new life- crafting a legacy.  

Yeah, I'd say if Nolan goes wrong anywhere, it's probably that he summarises the journey too quickly. When Wayne broke his back in the books, there was obviously a long saga of recovery and redemption that followed, but of course Nolan is restricted by the movie's running time, so he speeds through from to his exile to his assumed death. Still, I think the movie is at its best when it tackles themes of mortality and loss.