PHOTOGRAPHY: ANDREW ARTHUR
CREATIVE PRODUCTION: CHLOE BRINKLOW
FILM DIRECTION: AARON VAZQUEZ
STYLING: THOMAS KIVELL
HAIR: EROL KARADAG
MAKEUP: DEBORAH ALTIZIO
MODEL: VICTORIA LEE / HEROES USA & PRISCILLAS AUSTRALIA
WORDS: JESSICA BAILEY

History tells us that even in its darkest days, New York will endure. In 2020, its people’s resilience was tested again as the pandemic zeroed in on the densely-populated city. But it was a shared anxiety pulsating through the burrows which saw New Yorkers band together, as recounted by Australian model and NYC resident Victoria Lee. “There really is a camaraderie amongst New Yorkers,” she says. “New York is such a melting pot and there are so many people in such a small space, it was inevitable that it was going to be hit hard,” she says. “But during those tough months, people would cheer out their windows every night at 7pm to applaud the medical staff and essential workers helping to get the city back to its feet. It was an uproar of hope. There was a real love and appreciation for those people. It felt really encouraging when there was so much uncertainty.”

While New Yorkers aren’t out of the woods yet, little pockets of hope are heralding a distinct resolve. When it was safe to do so, Lee took a moment to get back to work and shoot Dior’s Fall 2020 collection on the streets she loves. “Dior for me has always been beautiful, elegant, classic albeit completely modern. There’s always nods to the history of the house.” she says. “The collection I’m wearing here has such strength and getting to put on those clothes at that particularly in time in New York – I felt so powerful and so strong, and there’s still such femininity in the silhouettes. That’s what draws me in to Dior every time; there’s many parts to the construction of each design and thus so many parts of yourself that come out when you’re wearing the pieces.”

Now at home in Narrandera in country New South Wales in Australia, Lee looks back on her life in New York and muses how she, like most of us, will come out the other side of this a changed woman. “That pocket of time gave me perspective. I’m an over-thinker, I get anxious, I worry about things, that’s just my personality,” she says. “For me to be in a situation where I literally had no control over the outcome – day to day, there was so little that I could actually have an impact on – it really made me focus on myself more; my thoughts, my ability to see a situation in front of me for what it is, make the most of it and not dwell too much. Moving forward, that’s a way of life that I’m going to try my best to hang on to to make the absolute best out of every situation. If I’m healthy, it’s a good day.”

ezgif-6-3a2f0fb7e315.png ezgif-6-4afb91dfb774.png ezgif-6-11d33276c3a4.png ezgif-6-81ff4055557e.png ezgif-6-87b19e83264b.png ezgif-6-99c282998702.png ezgif-6-2537d5545237.png ezgif-6-3991ed1d8406.png ezgif-6-138548c2a392.png ezgif-6-a438ee5bae5e.png ezgif-6-b232f578ee1f.png ezgif-6-f843cce582f1.png