Bellazon

Victoria Lee
Thumbnail

Victoria Lee on road to model success

NUI TE KOHA, Herald Sun

SHE’S the Aussie beauty from a country town who shot to fame as a Victoria’s Secret model.

But Victoria Lee, Narrandera-raised, now New York-based, has opened up about the long road to one of the world’s most glamorous campaigns.

“I grew up in a town of 3000 people. I had my family, friends, trees, open spaces, and the river,” Lee said.

“I went to public schools. I had a very simple country upbringing, and it instilled in me a wonderful sense of home and family and values.

“It’s definitely helped me navigate the fast-paced, cutthroat world of fashion.”

Lee starred in the Victoria’s Secret campaign last year and recently returned to Australia as a David Jones ambassador for its AW18 runway show.

But Lee admitted: “This is my sixth or seventh year living in New York, and I’m only just feeling comfortable. There have been many times where I struggled.

“I’d be homesick, calling home in tears … but I knew the goals I wanted to achieve. New York is an amazing place, but it can be quite lonely. There are times when you want to come home to Mum and have dinner cooked for you.

“But those are the times you learn the most … You just go: ‘I’m gonna handle this.’ Sitting in a corner crying is not going to help.”

bdfaef602a48c3a9a42ffdd1d23818e3.jpg

Me, My Selfie & I: Australian Victoria’s Secret model, Victoria Lee

Candid chat with the new David Jones ambassador during her recent return ‘home’ from NYC

CAN YOU TELL US SOMETHING THAT WOULD SURPRISE US ABOUT YOU? I’m quite handy. My brother is in construction and I’d like to think I’ve learned a few things from him. I’m great at DIY. I basically put up everything in my New York apartment myself, like my blinds. I have a tool belt and electric drill.

HOW WOULD YOU SUM UP YOUR PERSONAL STYLE? Laid-back and effortless but chic and put together. I’m good to go with jeans with a cute tee and fitted blazer.

WHICH SHOE STYLE BEST MATCHES YOUR PERSONALITY? A slide with a slight heel that’s comfortable enough that you can walk all day in them.

WHAT’S YOUR BIGGEST FASHION EXTRAVAGANCE? Bags – those are my favourite investment pieces. My favourite bag brand is Celine. I just bought a beautiful one from David Jones. [Ed’s note: Lee later admits this bag was the first thing she bought with her DJs wardrobe allowance, followed by a pair of Saint Laurent shoes.]

WHERE’S DO YOU CONSIDER HOME? I’m from six hours west of Sydney in the Riverina near Wagga Wagga called Narrandera. That’s home but my ‘home away from home’ – because mum would hate it if I called it home – is New York.

WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT NEW YORK? The city is the eclectic culture and the energy. It’s literally a melting pot. I’ve never been anywhere that has the diversity that New York has. But the reason I embrace that so much is that I know I have Australia to come home, so I can take New York for the experience of it, then know I’m coming home to basically the best place in the world.

WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST DAVID JONES MEMORY? Travelling to see the Christmas windows. My family would drive six hours to see them – and now I’m in them! When my mum and dad arrived in Sydney [for the Autumn/Winter 2018 fashion show], mum came with me to the store and I was like “look, look, look” at the campaign in the window. [Ed’s note: Lee stars in this campaign.]

WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT BEING 27? I’ve worked in the industry for nearly nine years – I started when I was 19 – and it’s funny because now is when I feel the most comfortable and confident in my own skin.

WHAT’S THE BEST THING ABOUT YOUR WORK? I think that’s the people. I’m so fortunate to work with the most talented and creative people all over the world. The teams and the creative vision and the skills that I’ve seen behind the scenes of.

WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT MODEL LIFE? The hardest thing would be the time away from family. I struggled with that a lot at the beginning of my career – being away from home – and you’re by yourself a lot of the time. I’m very lucky to have this amazing job but a lot of the time you’re alone and it’s because of that support network at the end of the phone – my mum, my dad, my nan, my agency, my agent Doll – I can get through the bad days. That encouragement [makes all the difference].

WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING IF YOU WEREN’T A MODEL? I was recommended to an agency when I was 16 but … I didn’t see it as a career at all. So instead I studied hard, did really well at school, and got into university to study nutrition and dietetics. But then the modelling came up again and knew it was a short-lived career opportunity and I should probably take it, so I did. It kind of developed from there. I also didn’t put pressure on myself – I thought I’ll just see how this goes. But nutrition and health is still something that really interests me and it will always be there.

WHICH FASHION TREND FOR THE COMING WINTER DO YOU LOVE MOST? I’m such a fan of an expertly tailored jacket. It’s so versatile. In the David Jones AW18 campaign, I wore a Sandro suit – I love how that instantly makes your outfit elegant no matter what it is. If you’ve got a floral dress, you can throw a fitted blazer over that and you’re set from day to night.

WHO HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST INSPIRATION OVER THE PAST DECADE? In terms of career, I’ve had multiple mentors but they just didn’t know they were. I looked up to people like Megan Gale and Jess [Jessica Gomes] who’ve had incredible careers then turned that into amazing business opportunities. That’s what inspiring and amazing – taking this platform then developing it into something else so your career has longevity.

WHAT’S BEEN YOUR BIGGEST LIFE LESSON SO FAR? I know it’s kind of clichéd, but it would probably be: just stay true to yourself and do the best that you can. At the end of the day, if you couldn’t have done any more, that’s all that matters.

grazia.com.au

Meet David Jones' Newest Ambassador, Victoria Lee

The down-to-earth Australian model talks style, inspiration and staying centred

By Rosie Herdman

Wednesday Feb. 28, 2018

The suburban streets of Annandale are quiet on this typically warm Sydney day. But in the beautiful tree-filled courtyard that is serving as the day’s base for the press shoot to launch the David Jones autumn/winter collections, it’s anything but.

David Jones’ newest ambassador, Victoria Lee, is calm and upbeat amid the flurry of activity. The down-to-earth Australian model joins Jessica Gomes and Adam Goodes in the role.

“It’s honestly incredible,” she says when we sit down between shots. “I’m just beside myself. David Jones is like a family and they’ve made me feel so at home — this whole experience has been wonderful.”

With a career spanning nine years that’s included travelling internationally, walking in the Victoria’s Secret runway show, and appearing regularly in Harper’s Bazaar and Australian Vogue, Victoria says she feels grounded and happy at this stage in her life.

“I’m comfortable in my own skin, and I’ve worked hard throughout this time so I like to think I have a bit of experience behind me and knowledge of the industry, and that just makes this all the more special.”

Growing up in the rural New South Wales town of Narrandera seems to have had a positive impact on Victoria, imparting on her a down-to-earth sensibility and appreciation of nature.

“I feel so grateful to have grown up the way I did,” she said. “Swimming in the Murrumbidgee River, and running around in the open space with my family and friends."

Another new recruit for the retail giant —which will open in Newmarket next year — is Kate Sylvester, who joins New Zealand labels Maggie Marilyn, Karen Walker, Sabatini, Deadly Ponies, Lonely Lingerie and Huffer.

Kate Sylvester showed its latest collection Electric Dreams at David Jones’ biannual collections launch show earlier this month, and the Lurex suit (pictured, top) is the perfect way to embrace this season’s suiting trend.

“The woman I had in mind when designing this suit is strong and intelligent, reflecting the spirit of the Electric Dreams collection,” said Kate.

At the autumn/winter 18 shows in New York, London and Milan, Alexander Wang, Erdem, House of Holland and many more sent their interpretations of the power suiting look down the runway.

It’s a trend for our times, armour for women who are rising up and making themselves heard; women who feel comfortable in their own skin and strong in themselves.

Victoria’s personal style philosophy fits well into this mode of dressing, with a focus on the classics. “The David Jones autumn/winter ranges are full of amazing suits. I think if you have a beautifully fitted, tailored jacket you’re set.” She told us.

“As well as colour – this season’s all about taking a leap, so I like to experiment, push it a little bit further and take the risk. I think having that energetic pop of colour brings fun to your wardrobe, especially for autumn and winter when it might not be so nice outside.”

Being a model obviously involves taking care of her body, but it’s equally as important to Victoria to look after her mind and wellbeing too.

“You have to be happy in order to put yourself first, and it all comes from having a really wonderful support network, sleeping well, drinking enough water, eating well and nourishing your body with fresh food.

I always try to take ten minutes at the beginning of my day, whether that’s sitting and meditating or just listening to music before I check my phone, because I think if you start your day immediately on your phone, scrolling Instagram and checking emails, you might become stressed before you’ve even stepped out of bed.

From experience, you can get so caught up in your head, so it’s important to focus on your breathing if it’s shallow, make sure your shoulders aren’t up by your ears… I think when you do things like that, they can relax you and you can take on whatever the day throws at you.”

When asked about someone she looks up to and admires, Victoria cited inspirational women within her industry, saying “People like Megan Gale, Doutzen Kroes, Elle Macpherson and Jess Gomes inspire me. Powerful, strong women who have had wonderful careers but are also incredible people – they’re genuine and friendly, and they’ve also turned their career into bigger business opportunities and have incredible philanthropic things going on.

I admire women that are elegant, and that comes across really kind-hearted – that’s what I hope to be. Women who use their role and their status for something bigger; that’s who I look to.”

viva.co.nz

28435378_952049561619963_6822243928343838720_n.jpg box=615x0.jpg box=615x01.jpg box=615x02.jpg box=970x0.jpg