Bellazon

Victoria Lee
Thumbnail

Country girl Victoria Lee lands plum ambassador job with David Jones

Even as Victoria’s Secret model Victoria Lee was making national headlines as the new David Jones ambassador, locals in her tiny rural hometown of Narrandera, NSW, were taking it in their stride.

Publican John at the Murrumbidgee Hotel said that although by lunchtime on Thursday nobody had raised a toast to their famous export and her big news, “the whole town knows her and we’re all happy”.

Happiest of all were Victoria’s parents, Jacqueline and Chris, a funeral director. They raised their daughter with her brother Alex in Narrandera (population 3871), where she was dux at the high school, worked in her mother’s toy shop and rode motorbikes.

“There’s no airs and graces here,” Jacqueline Lee, laughing, told The New Daily. “Although when she comes home I think, ‘Oh gosh, I better do a quick dust of her bedroom’.”

The Lees are “just so delighted” with Victoria being signed to the iconic DJs role, which previously has been held by Megan Gale and Miranda Kerr, and is currently shared with Jessica Gomes and Jesinta Campbell.

“To us, she is the perfect fit. All her values fit seamlessly with those of DJs,” said Jacqueline. “They’re both quality and class.”

Signing the 26-year-old to the ambassador job is a win on two fronts for the 179-year-old department store: she will appeal to a younger clientele and audience, and given her career is just starting to fire, it’s a safe bet she was signed up for less than Kerr, her most famous predecessor.

Also a Victoria’s Secret star, Kerr broke up with DJs in 2013, reportedly after contract negotiations fell through, and was replaced by Gomes and Montana Cox.

Stepping into shoes formerly worn by Kerr will likely catapult Lee into household name status as she represents David Jones’ portfolio of international and local designers.

“It’s such an honour,” said Lee. “This is most certainly a career highlight and something I am really proud of.”

So far, she’s walked the runway for Ralph Lauren and Diane von Furstenberg, been featured in French Elle and Italian Vanity Fair and fronted campaigns for Calvin Klein and Seafolly. Next up: shooting the store’s autumn/winter campaign with Gomes and Jesinta Campbell.

“We have no doubt our customers will respond to her favourably,” David Jones CEO David Thomas told The New Daily.

Why was she chosen? Said Thomas: “Her warm, engaging nature and down-to-earth attitude has contributed to her huge success overseas and set her apart amongst other faces.”

From the family home, Jacqueline Lee agreed her daughter is a natural.

“What you see is what you get – all the old clichés, but it’s true,” she said. “She is just a delight, and she’s genuine and very hard working.

“Victoria is a high-achiever. She has brains as well as beauty, is very sporty – she’s a very good distance runner.”

As a child, Lee’s beauty would turn heads – “Once in Melbourne when she was a toddler, one couple looked at her and said, ‘We want one like that’”, said Jacqueline – but she was a tomboy with no interest in fashion.

“She got her first set of heels when she went to Sydney at 16 to do her first fashion show,” she said.

Seven years ago, Lee chased her modelling dreams by moving to New York, where she has been dating art director Matt McDonald for about five years.

Her days start with watering her plants, seeing her trainer – she swears by dance cardio, boxing and ballet classes – and phoning her family. Her health secret? On flights “I like to take an avocado and some hard boiled eggs with me”.

Lee “doesn’t get home as often as we’d like, but she’ll be back at Christmas”, Jacqueline told The New Daily. “She’s a foodie so she likes cooking, she likes to sit in the garden and read.”

As for celebrating the big news, Jacqueline said the family first cut loose when she landed the high-profile Victoria’s Secret job.

“I had a bottle of Moet champagne in the fridge literally for years. I said, ‘I’m not opening it until she gets Victoria’s Secret’,” she said. “Then she rang up and said, ‘You can get it out now’.”

thenewdaily.com.au

Victoria Lee Shares Backstage Beauty Secrets And Her Fitness Regimen!

The Aussie Victoria’s Secret model tells how to get *that* glow! - by Arielle Tsoukatos

Joining the ranks of Jesinta Franklin and Jess Gomes is a new Australian supermodel –meet Victoria Lee! Fresh off the Victoria’s Secret runway, the 26-year-old has just signed on as an ambassador for David Jones and is set to star in the brand’s 2018 campaigns.

Raised in Narrandera in country New South Wales, Victoria’s career is on the rise, she's already modeled for international brands such as DKNY, Ralph Lauren and Vivienne Westwood.

InStyle Australia caught up with Lee on her return from Shanghai. Here, she reveals how she stays in shape, her everyday wardrobe staples and what really happens backstage at the VS fashion show...

InStyle: How does it feel to be a David Jones ambassador?

Victoria Lee: David Jones is such an iconic, loved and trusted Australian brand. I grew up shopping in the stores, and looking up to previous ambassadors. To join the David Jones family is such an honour and something I am so excited about.

What was it like walking in the Victoria’s Secret fashion show?

Such a wonderful and surreal experience! The excitement, anticipation and energy backstage is incredible.

Can you share any secrets from backstage? How many hours were you in hair and make-up?  

I was in hair and makeup for about ninety minutes. In total the hair and makeup teams had about seven hours to get all of us ready. It’s a fairly tight space and it’s easy to be hit on the head with a wing–you have to be careful not to damage them or lose an eye!

What’s your most recent fashion splurge?

A pair of beautiful Manolo Blahnik slides.

What’s your secret to feeling confident?

Having a positive attitude and mind set and not being too hard on yourself. 

What’s your everyday uniform?

High waisted Levi 501’s. A simple t-shirt or button down and sneakers or cute flats.  

Describe your personal style in one word

Effortless yet put together (...that’s more than one!) 

The biggest fashion mistake I’ve made is…..

Oversized blouses that enter pirate sleeve territory!

What's your current Instagram obsession? 

Puppy instagrams. I waste far too much time on @retrieverpuppies 

+ these questions which have been asked a hundred times...

What's your current workout regimen?

I’ve always been active and love to exercise, so I train 5-6 days a week depending on my schedule. If I’m in NYC I love dance work outs and train at Body By Simone. When I’m in Australia I go for a walk on the Bondi to Bronte or a class at Lean Bean Fitness. I always travel with my runners, skipping rope and exercise band, so I can keep active on the go. 

What does your day on a plate look like?

It depends on my day, but generally consists of a lot of protein, healthy fats, greens and quality carbohydrates.

I love eggs for breakfast with avocado. A salad of greens and vegetables with some kind of protein (usually chicken or fish) with avocado, nuts or a homemade dressing for healthy fats. I’ll add Quinoa or brown rice for sustained energy. Dinner is usually a stir fry, veggies with poached salmon or chicken or sometimes scrambled eggs if I can’t be bothered cooking!

For snacks I’ll have fruit, nuts or a healthy banana bread. Always super simple but healthy, nourishing and tasty! And there’s always room for some chocolate or a treat in there. 

What’s your everyday beauty regimen?

I just splash cold water on my skin in the morning and apply a small amount of This Works Stress Check Face Oil ($80; asos.com/au). It depends on how my skin is feeling but I don’t usually cleanse in the morning. I don’t want to strip my skin of the natural oils too often. Out of the shower I spray some mist toner before I apply my moisturizer - ASAP Daily Defence SPF 50+ ($38.50; facialco.com.auand follow that with any make up - usually just concealer, some cream blush and a little mascara.

In the evening I remove makeup with Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution ($20.99; priceline.com.au). I’ll gently cleanse with Asap Daily Facial Cleanser ($49; adorebeauty.com.au) and out of the shower, tone and moisturise with Bare Minerals Butter Drench Face Cream ($55; mecca.com.au). I also apply Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream (26; mecca.com.au

instylemag.com.au