Bellazon

Candice Huffine
Thumbnail

muffins

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I love this campaign!  Mainly because I am in that demographic and I do feel that we should have a voice and representation in fashion. Fashion doesn't stop just because you're not a size 2, or 10.

/off soapbox

I agree somewhat. I just wished they had a wide array of models. Also, there shouldn't be just plus size or sample size campaigns. I like it when it's mixed sizes. You only see department stores doing that. I wish higher end brands did that. 

The idea behind it is that we're here, we're real consumers.  I would love to see a broad size line make a huge splash in the Fashion Weeks. Like Melissa McCarthy's line. She's all size inclusive.  I wish more high end brands would do that as well.

But until the 'great' houses have a paradigm shift, it's not gonna happen.   When top designers say that larger sized women are gross, things aren't going to change. When everyone uses photoshop to the extreme, things aren't going to change.

So we larger sized women have to make the campaigns like PlusIsEqual and grab onto the positive body image brands to make our voices heard. 

Aerie started some of it when they stopped the overuse of photo manipulation in their campaigns.

I know I would feel a lot better about my size when I see more positivity geared towards my size.  Tess Holliday made huge inroads this year being a size 22 and getting a standard type contract. I

t's hard to really put into words at the moment what I'm trying to say, so I'm going to get off the box for now.  Maybe some sleep will help.

The idea behind it is that we're here, we're real consumers.  I would love to see a broad size line make a huge splash in the Fashion Weeks. Like Melissa McCarthy's line. She's all size inclusive.  I wish more high end brands would do that as well.

But until the 'great' houses have a paradigm shift, it's not gonna happen.   When top designers say that larger sized women are gross, things aren't going to change. When everyone uses photoshop to the extreme, things aren't going to change.

So we larger sized women have to make the campaigns like PlusIsEqual and grab onto the positive body image brands to make our voices heard. 

Aerie started some of it when they stopped the overuse of photo manipulation in their campaigns.

I know I would feel a lot better about my size when I see more positivity geared towards my size.  Tess Holliday made huge inroads this year being a size 22 and getting a standard type contract. I

t's hard to really put into words at the moment what I'm trying to say, so I'm going to get off the box for now.  Maybe some sleep will help.

High End brands do cast plus size models in campaigns. the problem is the same top models land a small amount of those campaigns so it's hard for newer models to break through especially when you have reality show models like Kendal Jenner and Bella & Gigi Hadid landing all the good work. Campaigns like Lane Bryant and Aerie are commercial brands. It's not the same thing. Those types of ready to wear commercial brands have several campaigns as well as catalog work that a lot of models get to work with them. With high end brands like Gucci or Saint Laurent, there is one campaign within each label as well Accessories, Makeup, Fragrance, Etc in each season. With Fragrance, the designer might use the same campaign for a few years which means there aren't a lot of opportunities for models of any size. Also, most of those fragrance campaigns are being given to celebrities like actresses and singers. That's why high fashion work is so scarce today and that many models have to do crazy things to get noticed. It's not like when Cindy Crawford was a model.

While I get you are a real consumer so are people who are sample sizes. Unlike high fashion, every type of person is represented in commercial fashion. Think Macys. You see every type of model because they don't want to discriminate against anyone. With high fashion, they don't need to worry about it because 90% of the population can't afford their garments to begin with. High Fashion is about Luxury and Fantasy. Most women do not fantasize about them being average. That's why most models regardless of size are super fit and generally pretty. Look at Robyn Lawley, the girl has a better body than most size 2 models. 

As far as photo shop is concerned, most models are models because they look good. There bodies are better than the average person. While the fashion industry does photoshop models, it's not nearly as evident as when they photoshop celebrities to look a lot better than they really do. Do you think they have photoshop a model that much? If a client has to photoshop a model a lot, those models wouldn't get any work unless they were very well established.

You have to take fashion with a grain of salt. It's all smoke and mirrors to sell a product (commercial modeling) or tell a story (editorial modeling).  Look at Candice, you are going to tell me she is average in any way? She has a pretty face. Her body is pretty well proportioned. Every size should be represented in fashion. But let's face it, none of these women (plus or mainboard) are a realistic interpretation of the female form. These women are in the top 10% of hotness. LOL

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...