Bellazon

Ford models

LimaHolic

i dont know if this is the right place for this thread, but, anyways, I am a lil confused about something...

I am an aspiring model about 5'5" in height, and i sent in pictures to Ford models a while back. Of course i included my height, measurments and everything. They called me back, and said they wanted to see me, or come in for open calls. And i told them, i said "You know, I'm only 5'5" right?" And they said "Oh, yea, sure that's fine." Well, i went in, this was actually my first open call. of course knowing there's a chance they might not be interested. And i got this really snobby lady, kinda looked at me like "What are you doing here?" but, she told me that "oh, well, usually the minimum height we like for our models is 5'6" ok, maybe she just didnt like me, but, if height is the real reason, why would they bother to call me bacK? anyways, if anyone has any kind of experience with modeling or whatever, please give me advice on whatever that whole situation was about. like i said im new and i went in with no experience, first open call didnt know what i was doing. and are the people at the agencies usually so snobby? lol :p

What you should do, is call back tell them what happened to you, if they give you another open time call make sure that you know the name of the person who you talked to and when they called. And don't let the lady behind the desk offend you because her job isn't all that to begin with. And most magazine models aren't that all so you have nothing to worry about now if you were my height 4'11 then I would worry haha. But I mean if they liked you enough to call back then you have something they liked just try again.

It depends on the agencies, and who you talk to. She was told to come to the open call, and the person was snobby with her. That's why I said to get the name of the person you talked to that way when she goes back to the open call and gives her name she can "such and such told me to come to the open call my name is blah blah." and then they'll tell her where to go and be done. THAT way she doesn't have to worry about getting stupid looks from people who's job is just supposed to tell her where to go instead of giving her that "i'm better then you look."

you should know that most ppl working in these agencies are snobby with everybody lool... However, if you're not tall enough and really wanna be a fashion model chances that you'll be hire in a big modelling agency are little... I mean unless you're kate moss or Laetitia Casta, if you got a more "common" look (no offence) they won't bother to take a "small" girl. I've got a friend who is into modelling but she's quite small (1m71) she's really beautiful and has an exotic look (she's from mixed origins) but her heigth is her weak point so she does some photoshoot for small brands but can't enter a modelling agency. I'm only telling you that so that you don't have a lot of illusions because you might be disappointed but there's still a chance that it might work for you anyways so don't give up :p and btw you should send your pics to all the agencies and not only the big famous ones. Apart from Elite, dna, viva, ford, marylin, img, etc... there are a lot a smaller local agencies which hire "small" girls more often... :)

That's not always true especially for the states. Print models for things like seventeen, teen people and magazine prints fashion prints for ads like Kohls, commercials for Old Navy those are average size people and they aren't exactly 5'10 and higher. You are only suppose to be an average size if your going to do runway but she was only going for an open call to see if they liked her enough to put her in something. And I don't model mainly b ecause I'm short and I hate that you have to be a certain weight to model SO ANYWAY back on topic :laugh: Most of the small agencies con you out of alot of money for you to not go anywhere so it's better if she just research the places before she just jumps head first into it. That's how most models got their start, like Tyra Banks she researched modeling agencies, and found out if you have to pay them or or not to pay them. But like I toldher to do, is to call in and tell them what happened find out who the person she was talking to and when she goes in for her time, tell them who told her to come in and where should she go. If the lady gives her attitude ignore it they look for weakness.

thanks for the help guys.

i didnt figure i had much of a chance considering my height, but i sent pictures in anyway, and was surprised when they called me back, and they didnt seem to be bothered by the height, and then when they told me i was too short when i went in i was a little confused...

That's not always true especially for the states. Print models for things like seventeen, teen people and magazine prints fashion prints for ads like Kohls, commercials for Old Navy those are average size people and they aren't exactly 5'10 and higher. You are only suppose to be an average size if your going to do runway but she was only going for an open call to see if they liked her enough to put her in something.

I'm not sure that Ford models, which is one of the biggest modelling agencies hire models for that kind of stuff ;)

thanks for the help guys.

i didnt figure i had much of a chance considering my height, but i sent pictures in anyway, and was surprised when they called me back, and they didnt seem to be bothered by the height, and then when they told me i was too short when i went in i was a little confused...

Maybe you looked stunning and interesting in your pictures so they were like "ok she's small but still we can give it a shot... let's see her for real and then we'll judge". Either they didn't like you (sounds harsh but those ppl are cruel, not my fault :cry: lol) or like sweetpea said you talked to the wrong person who didn't know that ppl in the agency were insterested in you and, judging on your size, told you that you weren't what they're looking for... :idk:

If you go in again, just wear heels and jeans and wish for the best, I suppose. :( Sorry that lady was rude... you should definitely try some other agencies!

BY THE WAY, does anyone know if M models is a reputable agency or a scam or what?

dunno if it's a good one but i've never heard of it :/

Elite, Ford, Marylin, DNA, Viva, IMG... those are good ones lol. But as long as they don't ask you money, i guess you've got nothing to lose even if you are in a bad agency (unless they make you sign an exclusivity contract lol)

• 2 weeks later...
i dont know if this is the right place for this thread, but, anyways, I am a lil confused about something...

I am an aspiring model about 5'5" in height, and i sent in pictures to Ford models a while back. Of course i included my height, measurments and everything. They called me back, and said they wanted to see me, or come in for open calls. And i told them, i said "You know, I'm only 5'5" right?" And they said "Oh, yea, sure that's fine." Well, i went in, this was actually my first open call. of course knowing there's a chance they might not be interested. And i got this really snobby lady, kinda looked at me like "What are you doing here?" but, she told me that "oh, well, usually the minimum height we like for our models is 5'6" ok, maybe she just didnt like me, but, if height is the real reason, why would they bother to call me bacK? anyways, if anyone has any kind of experience with modeling or whatever, please give me advice on whatever that whole situation was about. like i said im new and i went in with no experience, first open call didnt know what i was doing. and are the people at the agencies usually so snobby? lol :p

Hello LimaHolic:

What most of the people have told you about your height here in the post is true. You don

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you located? Right off the bat, I would recomment diving into the big'uns... Ford, Elite, DNA, NY, Wilhemina, etc etc. Then there are probably a few smaller agencies near your area. For example, I live near San Diego. So, when I would [hypothetically] send pictures in, I would send some to both Ford and SD Models.

I am too lazy to convert your measurements, but if you're 5'10'' and 125 lbs or under I'm sure your body type is fine.

Oh, also... Send in a few face shots with very little makeup (or none), from a few different angles, and then 2 full length body shots (front and back) in a bikini. Again, simple hair and makeup. You can use a disposable camera and a friend, but don't bother paying for pro stuff.

• 2 years later...

I just went to a consultation at Tru Talent Management yesterday and they want to sign me up for modeling and acting. The didn't ask for any money, but they said I need to start building my portfolio (which I expected), but is it normal for clients to pay for their own pictures to have done, or are the modeling agencies supposed to do that? Keep in mind it is a smaller agency.

The reason I ask is because I know that's how a lot of agencies make their money, so I don't want to get screwed. The agent I spoke to said that the agency has a photographer I can use, but for pictures, hair and makeup, they charge $1500, but it's for lifetime pictures. That means that they take the pictures for the portfolio for $1500 plus copyright fees for the pics ($40/pic), but they don't charge anything after that for the follow up pics (except for the $40 copyright fee) that I need to take every 6 months. My brother-in-law knows a really good photographer that will do it for a few hundred dollars, but I will have to get more information from him because I don't want to spend that every six months for my follow up pictures or I might as well go with the agency's photographer.

What do you guys think I should do?

• 2 weeks later...

I actually went to a modelling open call thing too. They show interest in everyone no matter what height. They can look be looking for people for commercial work/acting too. For commercials you can be any height, or shape.

• 1 year later...

The whole industry is not easy. If you are 5"5 - you are too short I dont see there any chance, there are chances into High Fashion but only if you look amazing and if you are quite thiny 80-57-83, you need to have this WOW factor if you dont have it I dont see any chance as well in commercial. The time changed Models like Lindsay Ellingson who are total HF do commercial jobs lingerie after Gucci Resort. With a normal look I dont see chances maybe on the local market but not more.

If you are 5"11 tall, you have the height, you need the measurements too. With 95 bust you wont find in my opion an agency like Supreme, Women or Mariyln. I can imagine an agency who represents not only HF faces who represents also Commercial faces and have a second development,

But good luck :)

• 1 year later...
The whole industry is not easy. If you are 5"5 - you are too short I dont see there any chance, there are chances into High Fashion but only if you look amazing and if you are quite thiny 80-57-83, you need to have this WOW factor if you dont have it I dont see any chance as well in commercial. The time changed Models like Lindsay Ellingson who are total HF do commercial jobs lingerie after Gucci Resort. With a normal look I dont see chances maybe on the local market but not more.

If you are 5"11 tall, you have the height, you need the measurements too. With 95 bust you wont find in my opion an agency like Supreme, Women or Mariyln. I can imagine an agency who represents not only HF faces who represents also Commercial faces and have a second development,

But good luck :)

I hate people who think they know this industry because they blog about it or spend a lot of time in these forums. First off, Ford and Wilhelmina do represent girls your height. That's because they have commercial division. With commercial modeling, it doesn't matter how tall you are. The fact you got a call back means they are interested in you. With commercial modeling, you don't have to be above 5'8". All you have to have a pretty face and a good figure. You don't do runway or be in Vogue. Instead, you do a lot of catalog work and television commercials. Search for commercial print model agencies in your area.

I know Tess Montgomery is 5'4" and she is signed to Ford. She isn't an heiress or the child of someone famous. She has a thread here and a blog. She works more than most high fashion models. This business is rough and people are mean. Don't get discouraged.

Also, most commercial division want their models to be 5'6". They list Tess and other at 5'6" but some of them aren't. Make sure if you go to these casting you were something form fitting and super high heels and minimal makeup.

• 2 months later...

I just went to a consultation at Tru Talent Management yesterday and they want to sign me up for modeling and acting. The didn't ask for any money, but they said I need to start building my portfolio (which I expected), but is it normal for clients to pay for their own pictures to have done, or are the modeling agencies supposed to do that? Keep in mind it is a smaller agency.

The reason I ask is because I know that's how a lot of agencies make their money, so I don't want to get screwed. The agent I spoke to said that the agency has a photographer I can use, but for pictures, hair and makeup, they charge $1500, but it's for lifetime pictures. That means that they take the pictures for the portfolio for $1500 plus copyright fees for the pics ($40/pic), but they don't charge anything after that for the follow up pics (except for the $40 copyright fee) that I need to take every 6 months. My brother-in-law knows a really good photographer that will do it for a few hundred dollars, but I will have to get more information from him because I don't want to spend that every six months for my follow up pictures or I might as well go with the agency's photographer.

Honey, I don't think you should do it. 1.500? Sounds A LOT. I remember seeing a documentary on TV where it was stated that serious agencies build up the book without the model paying in cash. They will take the money for the book from the jobs they'll get for you so they will pay you the salary minus the costs for building up the book ...

• 5 months later...

Honey, I don't think you should do it. 1.500? Sounds A LOT. I remember seeing a documentary on TV where it was stated that serious agencies build up the book without the model paying in cash. They will take the money for the book from the jobs they'll get for you so they will pay you the salary minus the costs for building up the book ...

Never ever pay upfront to be a model. Agencies want to see polaroids especially if your tall enough to be a fashion model. If you are a commercial print model, you may have to start your on book depending on your age and what market your in. In that case work with people who have tear sheets in their books or work a lot with agency models. Don't get too into sites like One Model Place and Model Mayhem. While you may find some decent photographers on the site, you will also find a lot of amateurs who can't take an industry caliber picture.

NEVER PAY TO MODEL. They are called portfolio mills. I have an agency thread in the Talk Section of legitimate agencies. Submit your pictures to them.