Bellazon

Game of Thrones

wickedcrazyness

Game Of Thrones' Spinoff in the works with 4 writers

HBO has closed deals with four different writers to explore multiple possible spinoffs of “Game of Thrones.”

The premium cable channel says that there is no timeline for development of the projects. “We’ll take as much or as little time as the writers need and, as with all our development, we will evaluate what we have when the scripts are in,” a spokesperson said.

The four writers are Max Borenstein (“Kong: Skull Island”), Jane Goldman (“Kingsman: The Golden Circle”), Brian Helgeland (“Legend”), and Carly Wray (“Mad Men,” “The Leftovers”). Goldman and Wray will each be working individually with novelist and “Game of Thrones” creator George R. R. Martin.

“Game of Thrones” executive producers and showrunners Dan Weiss and David Benioff will be attached to the four projects, as will Martin, but will not write on any of them.

A spinoff to “Game of Thrones” — the most watched series in HBO history — has been a source of speculation for years. In recent months, HBO executive began to privately acknowledge that the network was searching for writers to develop ideas based on the series and Martin’s best-selling fantasy novels from which it is adapted.

Asked about a possible spinoff last year at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, HBO programming president Casey Bloys said, “We’ve talked about it. It’s something I’m not opposed to. But, of course, it has to make sense creatively. I am not sure that the guys [Weiss and Benioff] can really wrap their heads around it when they’re just about to start production. It’s a pretty intense production. They’re about to start production soon, but I’m open to it. The guys weren’t opposed to it, but there is no concrete plans, or anything like that at this point.”

Season 7 of “Game of Thrones” is set to premiere July 16. Production on the show pushed the premiere of the new season past its usual April start date, in order to capture the weather the producers wanted. The new season will consist of seven episodes. The eighth and final season, which Weiss and Benioff have already begun writing, will be between six and eight episodes.

I believe Weiss and Benioff have said in multiple interviews that they have thought about possible spinoffs but are unwilling/unable to really put time into seriously considering it until GoT is finished.

19 minutes ago, jkjk said:

I believe Weiss and Benioff have said in multiple interviews that they have thought about possible spinoffs but are unwilling/unable to really put time into seriously considering it until GoT is finished.

They have said that. GOT's final season (S8- 7 episodes), will probably wrap up filming in mid-February and post-production will probably end around April.  These HBO projects take time. Westworld started development around 2014 and only premiere Fall 2016. Plus, they are only serving as executive producers, as the writer of the show is aswell, GRRM (altough he still has 2 books to write)

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I WANT THE DAMN BOOKS!!! :cry::cry::cry: 

Given all the news as of late (including starting a production company), Martin seems to be too busy to finish the books quickly.  

I feel the same way about the Caro's LBJ series.  It's been almost 5 years and the final volume is still in the works.

28 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Given all the news as of late (including starting a production company), Martin seems to be too busy to finish the books quickly.  

I feel the same way about the Caro's LBJ series.  It's been almost 5 years and the final volume is still in the works.

The other alternative is that he has done and the manuscript is now with his editors

• 3 weeks later...

http://ew.com/tv/game-of-thrones-season-7-exclusive-new-photos/dracarys-daenerys-emilia-clarke-dragons-are-enormous-in-season-7-and-ready-for-war-in-this-jaw-dropping-first-look-battle-image-more-exclusive-new-photos-ahead/

New S7 Pictures galore!!

Get ready the trailer is arriving really soon, don't worry. Upfronts are over and HBO will now handle the marketing machine that is GOT, a whole year after.

what are you guys most excited about?

TBH I fee like the best time for GOT has passed; the rest of it will be battles and such.  This is the denouement.  I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate otherwise.