Bellazon

Game of Thrones

wickedcrazyness

So I've seen a lot of discussions around the last season, and they deal with a lot of questions that weren't answered in the last episode. But what's bothering me the most is the lack of details regarding the political system of Westeros. Maybe, I missed something during the show but what are Seven (Six now) Kingdoms at all? What power does the king in King's Landing have? Does it really make sense to fight for the throne this hard? And what's more important - what has its political system become now? It's not a republic since only a few people choose the king, yet it's not a monarchy anymore since the king was chosen. Any ideas?

7 hours ago, jamesgunnn said:

So I've seen a lot of discussions around the last season, and they deal with a lot of questions that weren't answered in the last episode. But what's bothering me the most is the lack of details regarding the political system of Westeros. Maybe, I missed something during the show but what are Seven (Six now) Kingdoms at all? What power does the king in King's Landing have? Does it really make sense to fight for the throne this hard? And what's more important - what has its political system become now? It's not a republic since only a few people choose the king, yet it's not a monarchy anymore since the king was chosen. Any ideas?

Great question and something a lore-master (not me) could answer. 

I think Tywin's character arc embodies the desire of the throne most decisively:  Legacy and Ego, the greed to be #1 even though it's a race to the bottom.  Tywin cared more about legacy than his own death and the deaths of thousands of other people, including his children.  This is not exactly limited to the genre of fantasy, but a trait of the real world :rofl:

8 hours ago, jamesgunnn said:

Before Aegon Targaryen's conquest (roughly 300 years before the events in the show and books) the Seven Kingdoms were precisely that: seven independent kingdoms that corresponded more or less with the territories of the great lords: The North, The Vale, The Riverlands (+ the Iron Islands), the Kingdom of the Rock (Westerlands), The Stormlands, The Reach and Dorne (to be strict, Dorne wasn't an actual kingdom but a princedom). They would usually fight each other and were rarely at peace.

Aegon conquered and unified six of these seven kingdoms (Dorne would be incorporated later) into a single one but the name of the Seven Kingdoms stuck. 

Politically this is a feudal system, where the King is the first of all Lords. His immediate vassals being the lords of the lands mentioned (the North, Stormlands, ect), having them in turn their own lesser vassals and so on. His power is more or less that of feudal kings in history. He has nominal power over the whole kingdom but that power is limited by distances and the pressure of the nobility. Of course, the first Targaryens, having dragons had it easier in terms of authority.

And it doesn't matter if Bran was chosen by a council. He is still the king with all the powers and authority the title has. So it's still a monarchy. Even if not inheritable.

Speaking of Bran...

Does anyone want to speculate the Night King tilting his head and looking at Bran for a moment? It is a blink and miss it shot, but I think something was behind it and my brain isn’t working right to think on it.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:56 AM, CandleVixen said:

Speaking of Bran...

Does anyone want to speculate the Night King tilting his head and looking at Bran for a moment? It is a blink and miss it shot, but I think something was behind it and my brain isn’t working right to think on it.

I dunno, the NK had hubris; he wanted to personally assassinate the Three-eyed raven in a James Bond ish, villianish way. 

11 hours ago, gotportugal said:

Alt Shift X posts mostly show stuff with books excerpts, but it was clear that the show wasnt going to adress everything, I mean, how could they? I never expected them to get to every detail. George on the other hand,...

I am considering on reading them just to get a more rich "ending" in my head.  Did that happen for you?