Bellazon

Edie Campbell
Thumbnail

CAMILLE OVER THE RAINBOW - 1 APRIL 2016

edie_1apr16_camillecharriere.thumb.jpg.6fc6945d1318e1458ac899d3a243c1fe.jpg 

“I brush my teeth. But like, every day!”

My friend Edie stares cheekily (literally - her notorious pink cheeks are glowing!) back at the German journalist who just asked if we could start the interview by hearing about her daily beauty routine. We both chuckle.

Since you ask, I am using the word “friend” loosely. If we are measuring friendship in actual physical contact (and not, say, in time spent following said “friend” on social media, using average of Likes dealt their way on a daily basis to assess status of relationship), then technically I have only just met the girl sitting cross-legged on the sofa in front of me. That, is if you don’t count me shoving a front-facing cameraphone at her, as I ran around enthusiastically Snapchat-ing for @YSLBeauty at their Beauty Night Out.

Hashtag selfie. Hashtag cringe. Hashtag social suicide if this girl is as cool as her devil-may-care punk hairdo suggests.

So while IRL this is only my first second live interaction ever with Edie Campbell, I have already decided that we are to be great friends. 

And today I’m smitten. It’s not just the fact that we are clearly sartorial soul mates (check us out in our perfectly synchronised boyfriend jeans, functional flats and neutral knitwear). There is an ease about this wide-eyed babyface that you don’t come across very often in this industry. She is self-assured, sure. How could she not be? Hailed as the modern day Twiggy (“I don’t see it, she chimes in, maybe more -what’s that doll’s name in the horror movie?- Chucky, if anything”). She has worked with, bar none, some of the most influential names in the industry, becoming a muse to Tim Walker, Karl Lagerfeld and so on. These past few weeks alone, she has stared up at me from the pages of hundreds of editorials, scoring VOGUE covers quicker than it takes a normal person to polish off their entire stash of Easter Eggs.

edie_campbell_et_camille_charriere.jpg 

But perfume’s bad girl, the new face of YSL Black Opium Nuit Blanche, is also decidedly down to earth. A quality often attributed to models you might say. And though you would be right, I normally feel they only earn that rep because they are basically teenagers with well-versed effortless style and goofy personalities, who also happen to be alien-like bombshells. But it’s not just her ease or the fact that she is ferociously smart (she just got a first in History of Art from the Courtauld Institute, ranked first nationally in that division). Nor that she is belly-laugh witty (see: beauty routine tip above). It’s the simplicity with which she talks about her job that really made me fall in love with her.

I brought up her passion for horse ridding (alas, I passed the opportunity to pretend I was from Horse and Hound mag). She explained that though a keen horsewoman, she would never have chosen to ride professionally. “It’s just too hard a career to make money from”. She then adds, “But it’s an ideal hobby for someone like me, you know, who works freelance.”

One way to call your job when you’re a world famous supermodel. All I can say is, bravo YSL for picking the coolest chick ever to freelance in one of your most iconic campaigns. And for introducing us.

Now, I’m off to buy a toothbrush.

IMAGE MAGAZINE - 8 APRIL 2016

5 Things You Didn’t Know About Edie Campbell

Smart, articulate, charming and beautiful… these days it takes a lot more than looks to be a supermodel, but as we discover in the April issue of IMAGE, Edie Campbell - queen of the insightful sound bite, is the perfect package.

GettyImages-469874470.jpg 

She’s not just a pretty face 

Edie Campbell has tried her hand at writing, contributing to Harper’s Bazaar UK and acting as contributing editor to Love Magazine’s 2014 autumn/winter edition. She also loves to read, “I don’t like biographies; I read a lot of novels, a lot of 20th century novels.”

She has recently become a vegetarian, but she doesn’t follow a diet

“I don’t follow a diet per se, but I’m conscious of what I eat”, says Campbell. “I’m a vegetarian, which is a new thing, so no meat, but there’s nothing else I don’t eat as such. I love chocolate. That’s my favourite thing.”

Her signature hairstyle is definitely not effortless

“I’m a bit lazy, and in truth, there are other things I’d rather be focusing on. My hair is definitely not effortless. It comes from a lot of time spent sitting in hair salons. My go-to hairstylist is Guido, so I love it when I might be working on a show that he’s on. I’ll get onto his assistant and see if we can cross paths.”

She prefers a night in to a night out

Her perfect night, she says, would be “with all my closest friends. We’d listen to music - a bit of disco and David Bowie - and there’d be dancing. It’d be chilled; in a big house with loads of girls, and it’d be fun.”

She has an interesting take on the definition of beauty, considering she’s a model

In Edie’s eyes, the definition of beauty is “the happiest or funniest person in the room, or the most interesting.”

Full interview in the April issue of IMAGE.