Bellazon

World's Greatest Supermodels ranking

Qball

okay this is an opinion based thread so people well say oh i think such and such is a supermodel and blah blah blah but in my opinion gisele is not a supermodel...she can NEVER be compared to the height that the trinity or cindy has reached...i mean they were like celebrities meaning say angelina jolie shes always in the magazines cuz of her relationship blah blah blah...the girls in teh 80's and 90's took over cuz of there glamorous life because the actresses really didnt care how they looked except on movies..so supermodels were it...unless theres a pack of girls like 80's and 90's that had raw talent and were in headlines 24/7..theyre not supermodels

gisele's just known as the "supermodel" in victoria's secrets

Oh man, GISELE not a supermodel? Well, why would Dolce&Gabbana pay her load of money to be excluisve for their fashion shows only; for few seasons?

No bud, Gisele is one of the biggest supermodels of all times, and like Taben said, she worked for the biggest major fashion brands doing their campaigns for many years, she graced hundred of top fashion magazines and for a five six years in a row I saw almost only her on magazine covers, it never happened before bro!!

And this trust me, it's not an opinion... it's an absolute big huge fact that speaks much louder than words :wave:

putting it in huge letters isnt going to make it a fact. not to mention that its really obnoxious and certainly doesnt make me want to read what you have to say :)

that being said, i will say that i do feel that gisele IS a supermodel, but she exists in a time where true supermodels dont really exist. compared to her peers, hell YES she's a supermodel. she's straddled both high fashion and commercial, plus started the brazilian craze in the industry. now compared to cindy crawford, the trinity, and kate moss...well, gisele's status pales in comparison. no question that they are REAL supermodels. they basically defined the word. so in that respect, i do agree with what Dream Angel is saying.

context is a big part of it.

you're gonna kick my ass on MSN but i have to disagree lol... Gisele IS a supermodel while it's the era of the one-season-model so she deserves a lot more her title: when most girls don't last more than a few months she's been here since all those years and still gets the biggest contracts. She is the ONLY new supermodel of that century whereas naomi, cindy, claudia, christy etc were a bunch and the supermodels a new phenomenon which ppl wanted to know more about, that's part of why they were so big in the media. Gisele is, imo, the biggest supermodel of all times mainly because she is the girl who's had the more huge campaigns and therefore is the best MODEL.

okay this is an opinion based thread so people well say oh i think such and such is a supermodel and blah blah blah but in my opinion gisele is not a supermodel...she can NEVER be compared to the height that the trinity or cindy has reached...i mean they were like celebrities meaning say angelina jolie shes always in the magazines cuz of her relationship blah blah blah...the girls in teh 80's and 90's took over cuz of there glamorous life because the actresses really didnt care how they looked except on movies..so supermodels were it...unless theres a pack of girls like 80's and 90's that had raw talent and were in headlines 24/7..theyre not supermodels

Oh man, GISELE not a supermodel? Well, why would Dolce&Gabbana pay her load of money to be excluisve for their fashion shows only; for few seasons?

No bud, Gisele is one of the biggest supermodels of all times, and like Taben said, she worked for the biggest major fashion brands doing their campaigns for many years, she graced hundred of top fashion magazines and for a five six years in a row I saw almost only her on magazine covers, it never happened before bro!!

And this trust me, it's not an opinion... it's an absolute big huge fact that speaks much louder than words :wave:

putting it in huge letters isnt going to make it a fact. not to mention that its really obnoxious and certainly doesnt make me want to read what you have to say :)

that being said, i will say that i do feel that gisele IS a supermodel, but she exists in a time where true supermodels dont really exist. compared to her peers, hell YES she's a supermodel. she's straddled both high fashion and commercial, plus started the brazilian craze in the industry. now compared to cindy crawford, the trinity, and kate moss...well, gisele's status pales in comparison. no question that they are REAL supermodels. they basically defined the word. so in that respect, i do agree with what Dream Angel is saying.

you're gonna kick my ass on MSN but i have to disagree lol... Gisele IS a supermodel while it's the era of the one-season-model so she deserves a lot more her title: when most girls don't last more than a few months she's been her since all those years and still gets the biggest contracts. She is the ONLY new supermodel of that century whereas naomi, cindy, claudia, christy etc were a bunch and the supermodels a new phenomenon which ppl wanted to know more about, that's part of why they were so big in the media. Gisele is, imo, the biggest supermodel of all times mainly because she is the girl who's had the more huge campaigns and therefore is the best MODEL.

I can't agree more!! :)

you're gonna kick my ass on MSN but i have to disagree lol... Gisele IS a supermodel while it's the era of the one-season-model so she deserves a lot more her title: when most girls don't last more than a few months she's been here since all those years and still gets the biggest contracts. She is the ONLY new supermodel of that century whereas naomi, cindy, claudia, christy etc were a bunch and the supermodels a new phenomenon which ppl wanted to know more about, that's part of why they were so big in the media. Gisele is, imo, the biggest supermodel of all times mainly because she is the girl who's had the more huge campaigns and therefore is the best MODEL.

of course i'm not going to kick your ass on msn. but i think saying that gisele is the biggest supermodel of all time is extremely shortsighted and actually really insulting to those who came before her and defined the word, not to mention the industry. not even a huge kate moss fan but kate moss is practically legendary. not exactly sure how gisele could be better than her. at her peak, gisele is still no where on the level of kate moss. really hard to get around that imo.

btw, i didnt say she wasnt a supermodel...just in case that wasnt clear :laugh:

hmm i think essentially what i was trying to say is that the definition of what it means to be a supermodel has changed, big time, and while i do think gisele fits it, i understand that part of dream angel's point.

Big or small the bottom line is Gisele is a supermodel and she does not pale in front of Cindy at all, Cindy never made it as hign in the High Fashion as Gisele did.... She is the last supermodel and she is way hotter than Cindy NO QUESTION about!! PERIOD :wave:

nope but cindy crawford is way more famous than gisele and was part of whats considered the original five supermodels. she was one of the ones to define the concept.

btw i didnt just mention cindy. i also mentioned the trinity and kate moss ;)

Big or small the bottom line is Gisele is a supermodel and she does not pale in front of Cindy at all, Cindy never made it as hign in the High Fashion as Gisele did.... She is the last supermodel and she is way hotter than Cindy NO QUESTION about!! PERIOD :wave:

nope but cindy crawford is way more famous than gisele and was part of whats considered the original five supermodels. she was one of the ones to define the concept.

Did you read and understand my post? If you read it carefully and try to understand what it says you will perfectly realize that I did not say that Gisele was more famous than Cindy, what I said is that Gisele made it much higher in the High Fashion where Cindy has never been. Cindy and the few others made their visbility in a moment where there was a boom, hence the major fame... Gisele came in a moment where the book was already over and there were too many models known to the lay people, yet in a moment where it's so difficult ahe made it as huge as the ones that started the hype, she did Dior campaign for consecutive years, missioni, Dolce&Gabbana and most prestigios brands we know...

I prefer her to Cindy even if in her time Cindy was my absolute favourite!

At the end the two are on my top ten list with gisele ranking higher obviously. I see Kate moss also as higher than Cindy., and my

Bottom line my post was directed to that guy who said that in his opinion Gisele is not a supermodel, and my point was, this is not a matter of opinion, there can be no opinion unless are to be considered also the uneducated opinions.... Gisele Bundchen is a super model and today considered the most beatiful woman in the world... it's a fact!! :fun:

Did you read and understand my post? If you read it carefully and try to understand what it says you will perfectly realize that I did not say that Gisele was more famous than Cindy, what I said is that Gisele made it much higher in the High Fashion where Cindy has never been. Cindy and the few others made their visbility in a moment where there was a boom, hence the major fame... Gisele came in a moment where the book was already over and there were too many models known to the lay people, yet in a moment where it's so difficult ahe made it as huge as the ones that started the hype, she did Dior campaign for consecutive years, missioni, Dolce&Gabbana and most prestigios brands we know...

At the end the two are on my top ten list with gisele ranking higher obviously. I see Kate moss also as higher than Cindy., and my

Bottom line my post was directed to that guy who said that in his opinion Gisele is not a supermodel, and my point was, this is not a matter of opinion, there can be no opinion unless are to be considered also the uneducated opinions.... Gisele Bundchen is a super model and today considered the most beatiful woman in the world... it's a fact!! :fun:

*sigh* this is getting out of hand.

yes i read and i understand. i was just providing my own justification for why gisele pales in comparison to cindy. i am not an idiot. i understood what you said but if you want to talk down to me and imply that i dont understand what you're saying then fine. have it your way.

you speak about opinions but then you offer gisele being considered the most beautiful woman in the world as fact. sorry but its not. because beauty isnt fact. never has been. i am not going to tell you what i personally think of gisele's looks because i dont think her looks are necessarily relevant to the discussion of how good a supermodel she is, but her being the most beautiful woman in the world is not a fact. its your opinion, and the opinion of many, but still just an opinion.

Edited by OriginalSin

*sigh* this is getting out of hand.

yes i read and i understand. i was just providing my own justification for why gisele pales in comparison to cindy. i am not an idiot. i understood what you said but if you want to talk down to me and imply that i dont understand what you're saying then fine. have it your way.

you speak about opinions but then you offer gisele being considered the most beautiful woman in the world as fact. sorry but its not. because beauty isnt fact. never has been. i am not going to tell you what i personally think of gisele's looks because i dont think her looks are necessarily relevant to the discussion of how good a supermodel she is, but her being the most beautiful woman in the world is not a fact. its your opinion, and the opinion of many, but still just an opinion.

It is getting out of hand indeed, I agree I mixed Gisele as been a supermodel which is an absoolute fact with the fact that she was the most beatiful woman in the world today which is obviously an opinion!!

Bottom line and to cut the whole controversy short, Gisele is undeniably a supermodel in all and every sense!

Actually there is no need to compare her and Cindy for both the two are super godesses each one great on her own! :p

This is my point and I hope I made it clear! :)

• 7 months later...

my fav supermodels/topmodels or whatever...

10.natalia vodianova - brought back the term supermodel... reminds me of helena sooo much

9.ana beatriz - i think she is underrated... she could do soooo much more... and maybe she will....

8.twiggy - an icon...

7.gia carangi - god she was beautiful!!! but, we all knoe that story..

6.paulina - beauty and sexy... is there a pic of her and gia????

5.linda- a woman with a thousand faces... still looking gorgeous...

4.helena - she looks soooo pure and sexy

3.naomi - WOOOOOOOOW

2.christy turlinton - probably the most beautiful creature ever... she is perfect... her skin,face,body...

1.kate moss - she did everything, and she is still doing... she is a trendsetter,she is a good girl,she is a bad girl, she is shocking,pretty, cute,smart... she is the best ever and cannot be replaced

i never liked cindy and claudia, butt they could be like my number 11... they r too common, they never transformed.

... and i don't think that gisele is pretty at all.. ahe is just the body... like elle and heidi... but i think there is more than just perfect legs and butt... adriana lima would be like no 12,cos i personaly think that she choosed the more comercial path... i liked her EVU early pics... now it is all VS...

• 3 years later...

For me the real top-models are the 90s!

Today the top-model with even more success is Gisele Budchem. What I do not understand Please avoid baiting and model bashing. ~ Post Edited by Joe > Average

But although it considers the models of the 90 much more deserving of the title "supermodel" I also like some current models.

I love Adriana Lima, I think it has a beautiful face, beautiful eyes, very sexy. I also like Ana Beatriz Barros, very beautiful, and Isabelii Fontana, for me is that it has more presence on the runway. Very charming!

But nothing compared with the models of the 90s, I think that someone who is not interested in fashion, does not know the current models.

My favorite is the model Claudia Schiffer and think it was that had the most success! Who does not know Claudia?

He entered the Guinness Book as the model who did most magazine covers around the world! Compared to Brigitte Bardot was considered by many the most beautiful woman in the world! For me it is an authentic Barbie-dead gorgeous!

It was the face of various brands, was the preferred model for Chanel and Valentino ... It's a star!

Another of my favorite models is Cindy Crawford, that beautiful woman! Never seen a face so sexy in my entire life! In 1995, he was considered by U.S. magazine Forbes as the highest paid model in the world!

Not to mention the "body" Elle Macpherson's face Sports Illustred:)

Fav Models:

1.Cláudia Schiffer

2.Cindy Crawford

3.Elle Macpherson

4.Karen Mulder

5.Helena Christensen

6.Adriana Lima

7.Isabelli Fontana

8.Ana Beatriz Barros

9.Valeria Mazza

10.Naomi Campbell

Gisele Bundchen is a super model and today considered the most beatiful woman in the world... it's a fact!! :fun:
naomi, cindy, claudia, christy etc were a bunch and the supermodels a new phenomenon which ppl wanted to know more about, that's part of why they were so big in the media.

Its interresting to see this comment about the Supermodel Phenomenon made during the Brazilian Phenomenon as part of an argument for Gisel being the best ever :laugh: . By that same logic, someone could say Gisele, Adriana, Alessandra ect. popularity was enhanced by the Brazilian craze seeing as how its subsided now. Or you could say Selita is the best black model ever because of what she's achieved in this era, so the theory is flawed on many levels. I don't think Gisele and those other Brazilians in that age group benefited any less for coming on the scene when they did than the others. Fashion exhisted long before the "supers" and there were Brazilian models long before the Brazilian Invasion. There were even some skinny models before "thinspiration" (Twiggy being the most notable). Its bececause designers and those that run the industry are always looking for the next thing (whether it be better or not, only different), its about being in fashion at the right time. In a simular fashion Gisele not only came on the scene when there was an interrest in Brazilians like never before, but when her more unconventional type of beauty or features were appreciated in a way that they weren't before. So there's no honest reason to believe that her success wasn't actually maximized by coming out when she did any less than the others.

• 9 months later...

I'm going to be devil's advocate and point out the original origins of the term 'supermodel'. Sadly, while the term has been applied through out the last century for a number of models and women it was only in the late 70's up through the mid 90's that the term really took off with the public. Issued predominantly in the United States, Sports Illustrated was what initially brought the term supermodel and the names of these models to the household, where people who had little to no interest in fashion began to recognize the names and faces of models.

The large contracts that have become synonymous with 'supermodel' didn't start appearing with a few notable exceptions until the early 80's, which was also the point when many models started branching out from endorsing purely fashion related products and starting picking up mainstream items such as soda contracts for Pepsi, and other lucrative contracts such as Ford Truck, where they didn't just use their face but their name to sell the product. As the models began to embrace old-style glamor, they were starting to replace film stars as symbols of luxury and wealth. In this regard, supermodels were viewed not so much as individuals but as images.

But it wasn't until the 1990's that supermodels became increasing predominant in the media. Supermodels were in essence seen as superstars, having risen from just a face, to a personality. They did talk shows, were cited in gossip columns, partied at the trendiest nightclubs, landed movie rolls, inspired franchises and dated or married film stars and earned millions. Fame allowed them to command higher fees and market themselves how they wanted.

The original super's, quoted as the "Big 6" were, Claudia Schiffer, Cindy Crawford, Kate Moss, Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington and were accepted by the fashion community as supermodels. They were the most heavily in demand, collectively dominating magazine covers, fashion runways, editorial pages, and both print and broadcast advertising. Excluding Moss, they are known as the "original supermodels".

In the late 1990's the rise of the supermodel had peaked and was declining, when actors and sports starts, pop signers and television personalities starting taking back the covers and major contracts with those mainstream companies that the world as an overall knew. Many designers started looking to less glamorous models so that their clothing wasn't overpowered by the personality wearing it and could market itself.

Whereas many supermodels of the past decade had been American born, their accent making for an easier transition to stardom, the new crop of models started coming from non-english speaking countries. The only notable models truly attributed at that point to becoming tantamount to stars were Laetitia Casta, Eva Herzigová, Carla Bruni, Tatiana Sorokko, Nadja Auermann, Helena Christensen, Adriana Karembeu and Milla Jovovich.

The late 90's, early 20th's century gave rise to the Brazilian Trinity, Gisele Bundchen, Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio, however they had trouble breaking out of their role as models and into their role as Starlet; this "new trinity" were unable to cross over into the world of TV, movies and talk shows as easily as their predecessors due to their foreign accents. Several seasons later we were inundated with a crop of Eastern Europeans barely into their teens, pale and "bordering on anorexic". They were to young to date movie stars to skeletal to bag the lucrative VS contract and their lack of English speaking skills gave them even less of a chance to launch into superstardom.

Models Heidi Klum and Tyra Banks, in an effort to stay relevant took the route of many of the early supermodels and broached into television, launching hit reality shows and endorsing products that the public saw where their name was as relevant as their face.

So on those lines, the closest thing we have to Supermodels in this day and age are probably Petra Nemcova, mainly in part due to the tsunami incident and her miraculous rescue and life changing story that resulted in helping millions with her self created charity "Happy Hearts" as well as those people she has dated, most notably (Sean Penn) and Miranda Kerr who like many of the original Supers is married to a Hollywood Star. Bar Rafaeli while not as necessarily big in the fashion community has also became fairly well known due to her SI cover, and stint on the side of a 747 and her long time boyfriend Leonardo DiCaprio. Unfortunately, if she doesn't start working more she'll only even really be known for who she was dating.

Even sports stars don't command the same presence as movie stars in this day and age. So Gisele and Adriana while broaching the ranks of Supermodels are known more for past conquests, (Leonardo DiCaprio and Lenny Kravitz) then their current beaus, and neither have truly made it as a household name with the general public or the Hollywood set. Another possibility to rocket into stardom is Candice Swanepoel but as of this time she is still predominantly known as that hot blond who works for VS. Her name hasn't blossomed into full recognition by the public as of this time. Marisa Miller is also close, she's probably one of the smartest models out their currently, having marketed herself into a lucrative contract with Harley Davidson, (the first model to do so) and Captain Morgans, as well as having a spokesmodel position with the NFL, far different from simply dating a player.

So as much as we'd all like to think that high fashion plays a huge part in the term supermodel, it truly doesn't. The term, was applied to those women who made it big not only in the modeling world, be it commercial or the like but became known throughout sadly the English speaking community, mainly North America. Staying power in the industry had less to do with being coined a supermodel then main stream public acknowledgment.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll just rank the modern era supermodels, which is why models like Jean Shrimpton and Twiggy will be left out. Space to signify different ranks. As any models within any specific rank could be argued to have any number placement within the same rank.

1) Cindy Crawford, who really was the first and biggest of the modern supermodels. (she really introduced to the public the level or type of beauty that defined a supermodel)

2) Gisele, possibly, the last of the modern supermodel. (I don't consider her the most beautiful, but she is arguably the most talented)

3) Naomi Campbell

4) Kate Moss

5) Claudia Schiffer

6) Linda Evangelista

7) Christy Turlington

8) Helena Christiansen

9) Stephanie Seymour

This is not "models I don't get appeal of" thread :unsure:

Not everyone thinks/thought Linda,Cindy,Naomi,Claudia or Kate were beautiful but they are who they are. Even if one doesn't like Gisele, I don't think anyone can deny her status/impact she has made. :cain: One word: PORTFOLIO. (It even trumps the 90s models and girl is only 30.)

In 20 years Linda,Cindy,Claudia,Christy,Naomi,Kate,Gisele etc are the ones you will see in the books. (already are in fact,hehe) They are definitely going to be remembered as some of the greatest in their profession.

My criteria (among many) to be considered a great model you had to set some sort of standard,wave in modeling. also: (versatility,star-like presence,longevity,can get A list modeling work for many years,a favorite to everyone in fashion,etc...)

My rank would be:

1.Linda Evangelista (hair,chameleon,Legend.)

2.Cindy Crawford (most famous,sex symbol model of all time,superstar,mole)

3.Kate Moss (brought in the waif)

4.Naomi Campbell (that walk;legendary)

5.Christy Turlington

6.Gisele Bundchen (brought sexy back)

7.Stephanie Seymour

8.Helena Christensen

9.Claudia Schiffer

10.Tatjana Patitz,Nadja Auermann/Kristen Mcmenamy

and I think Daria Werbowy,Natalia Vodianova,Lara Stone,Raquel Zimmerman are some of the greatest models today.