Bellazon

King Kong

Jimmy Changa

Saw this tonight. It's just over 3 hours long and it's all great! They spend more time building up all the main characters but do it in fairly interesting ways. Once the adventure starts it's just a freakin rollercoaster for almost 2 hours straight. The fights with the TRexs are awesome! and the Brontasaurus stampede is just crazy! The bugs are way gross and there is one part in that one scene that is NOT for kids....yuck! You'll know which one I mean. The emotional connection between Ann and Kong is captured wonderfully. The effects for Kong are simply amazing to be able to convey so much through his eyes, face and body. Peter Jackson really did a great piece of work here.

Go see it on the big screen, but don't drink the large soda. :blink:

I read some news stories that were saying people were virtually exhausted from the entire spectacle, so much so that they felt they wouldn't be able to watch it a second time. :laugh:

I can't imagine a movie so stunning and visually arresting that it would make me exhausted, all the more reason to see it. :D

Unfortunately I can't see it on the big screen so I will have to settle for the little screen of my computer. Sorry Peter Jackson, but you're totally loaded off LotR anyways, you can afford a shot in the pocket from me not seeing it in theaters. :ninja: I don't advocate that though, people who can afford it should definitely do so if they plan to see it. :)

I read some news stories that were saying people were virtually exhausted from the entire spectacle, so much so that they felt they wouldn't be able to watch it a second time. :laugh:

I can't imagine a movie so stunning and visually arresting that it would make me exhausted, all the more reason to see it. :D

Unfortunately I can't see it on the big screen so I will have to settle for the little screen of my computer. Sorry Peter Jackson, but you're totally loaded off LotR anyways, you can afford a shot in the pocket from me not seeing it in theaters. :ninja: I don't advocate that though, people who can afford it should definitely do so if they plan to see it. :)

True, it was a bit taxing. I don't know about that "Not being able to watch it again" part though. It's quite a ride, but we all like a great thrill, right? I'm sure it will be ok on the little screen too. :laugh:

King Kong is the most overrated movie ever. It's horrible. Jack Black sucks. Too much over-acting!

Ever? Ever ever? Horrible? Sucks?

:laugh:

If you know old movies you will appreciate some of the subtlties and the nods to the styles of movies from the first King Kong era. Sahteene clearly breezes past all this. Also, Jack Black was perfect for the character, because of who he is and his his obvious need to restrain himself to play this part. My issues with the film are not from casting AT ALL. I would have just liked to see how they got that ape onto the freakin boat! :laugh:

I was wondering how they got Kong into the boat as well. Also, in a land where everything is 20x bigger, how come the dinosaurs are still the same size? :lost:

I don't think they were too convincing with regards to the 1930s context, and they tried to incorporate the audience into the dialogue by including some colloquial phrases, which I thought were rather bad taste.

However, they did the island scene very well and the graphics were great. *cough* LOST *cough* :ninja:

I didn't like Jack Black, cause he wasn't convincing as far as anything went. For me, he had to be the biggest disappointment and he spoilt the movie. His character could surely have been played by someone better.

They added on a fair bit of footage, and I think they stretched and dragged the plot to its limit. They really didn't need to include some of that stuff in order to build the characters, as there was really nothing too out of the ordinary about the characters.

I think you're right Jimmy, when you say they portrayed the relationship between Ann and Kong very well, but I don't like how they personified Kong. They gave him too many human characterisitics and that also spoilt it for me.

The worst bit was at the end when Jack decides to say "it wasn't the planes...it was beauty that killed the beast" DIE JACK BLACK!!! :anger:

my bladder still wants revenger :knives:

See! Now I can respect YOUR disapproval with the movie. You actually have something worthwhile to say.I obviously see something different when looking at the exact same thing i.e. Jack Black's performance and the Kong having too many human characteristics (I think that was right on with apelike behavior, but I'd like to hear an ape expert's take on this). Now the 1930s context was a bit campy at times...more than a couple I do have to admit.

i saw it last wednesday and i didnt have any expectations and thats the best you can do.. *g* actually i'm a naomi watts-fan and was just excited to see her again.. and when she first appeared on screen it just blew me away..she just looked so stunning, later i realized that her performance was very very good as well :) and i can say that i love this movie..i love the whole emotion..it moved me to tears many times...and i even love kong..it is a really big and great movie..im gonna watch it again.

and i dont think that its overrated.

Wasn't that scene when she backs up under Kong perfect? He got all proud and tore that TRex UP! Freakin' cool.

Yes! That was so great, and when he broke his jaw how he roared super loud. The part where she's running and she sees the giant lizard was HORRIFYING for me, I started to cry and shake, that thing was disgusting. And when Kong was "playing" with her! Haha, how cute was he!! I was all like I want one!

Edited by Fresa

See! Now I can respect YOUR disapproval with the movie. You actually have something worthwhile to say.I obviously see something different when looking at the exact same thing i.e. Jack Black's performance and the Kong having too many human characteristics (I think that was right on with apelike behavior, but I'd like to hear an ape expert's take on this). Now the 1930s context was a bit campy at times...more than a couple I do have to admit.

Jack Black just doesn't suit the role.

I think the human characteristics in Kong were necessary though, as it allows the audience to feel and empathize with Kong and all he goes through. If he was truly ape like, the feel good factor and the relationship between Ann and Kong wouldn't have been as good, which probably would've taken away from the movie as a whole in the end. All that being said, I still don't like what they did :p :no:

And when Kong plays with the T Rex's jaws after he breaks them :rofl:

That was funny :p

Yeah, it was like he had to make sure he was dead. Maybe he had been fooled by one before or something. I thought there were tons of great little touches like that.

ni a behind the scenes special peter jackson said that the scar he had on his brow was during a fight with a rex before, he was making up a great little history behind Kong's eyes and crookes jaw, i loved those touches because it really added to his character.