Bellazon

David Labrava
Thumbnail

COP11

When the Sons of Anarchy need someone out of the way, they often turn to Happy Lohman, a brutal enforcer portrayed by David Labrava. As a member of the real motorcycle club, the Hell's Angels, Labrava was a technical adviser for "Sons of Anarchy" before he was cast as Happy.

Within the show, Happy is one of the most feared members of SAMCRO, thanks to his love of violence and the fact that he tattoos a happy face on his body each time he kills someone.

A fixture of "Sons of Anarchy" since the beginning, Labrava also co-wrote the most recent episode, "Hands" alongside Chris Collins and series creator Kurt Sutter; which has proven to be one of the most controversial installments of the season.

Earlier this week, Labrava spoke with the press about his first involvement with "Sons of Anarchy" and his insights into Happy's psyche before addressing the fallout ahead for SAMCRO before the end of the season.

Q: Can you talk a little bit about your love of motorcycles and how that came about?

David Labrava: I was riding dirt bikes when I was a little kid. I got my first Harley Davidson when I was 17 years old. It was a frame with wheels and a tank on it and all the parts in a box. I got it for a great deal and six months later my mother is telling me to get it out of the living room. I have to build this outside; it’s stinking up the house. This is just what you go through if you are this person, you go through years of having motorcycles that’s been more in the garage than out on the road. It just takes a long time. It’s like you get bit by the bug and it won’t go away.

Q: What is it about Biker culture that makes you want to come together in motorcycle clubs?

David Labrava: First of all, I never think it’s a gang, because the gang is a street gang. You know the [difference] between a gang. I know the government likes to differentiate the clubs from the gangs, but it is really a motorcycle club and it’s kind of like the Army. Everyone is your brother. You have to love everyone, but there are so many guys, some of them really become your true friends. But everyone is your brother and we definitely have to be that kind of person. Some people are loners and some people identify with being in a group. They identify it and if you identify it, then you’ll find us and you’ll find a way to become one of us.

Q: Is there anything special you had to do to become part of that?

David Labrava: You have to be there. I have to say of the big clubs, all of them are run basically a little bit different. I’m in a very democratic club and you basically have to be there. You have to show support. You have to show us that this is what you want to do and it can take a few years to do that.

But it isn’t like what you might think it is. It is nothing like the mob. It’s a motorcycle club and they do defense fund parties and they go on runs together and camp out. I’m sure it gets painted to be something way more vicious than it really, really is, but in any group, I don’t care if it’s the Girl Scouts or the Lion’s Eye Bank, there’ll probably be some bad apples, some good apples, some guys who do nothing and some guys who do everything.

Q: How did the opportunity to act on "Sons of Anarchy" come about?

David Labrava: Actually, it seems like the Hollywood thing sort of found me a couple times because I wasn’t living here trying to do this at all. I’m an artist. I’m a tatoo artist and I went to school to paint and that sort of thing. I started writing and getting published and I have to say I think every American kid grows up dreaming about being in the movies. That’s completely normal for us.

But I mostly wanted to be a writer in my life and then I got taught the script writing program and I got a chance to act and I have to say the acting is extremely fun, extremely vital. It’s an incredible crew that I work with. They all have a great appreciation for film. Those people that you see, we do movie trivia all day long. Like [Ron Perlman] knows all the way to black and white.

I enjoy the acting. I didn’t plan on that. It sort of fell into me and I’m having a lot of fun with it, but I’m definitely moving towards directing because I’m naturally a writer. And I think a good director edits, writes, has acted a little bit. He’s done a little bit of everything and that’s what I’m trying to do.

I got hired to be the technical advisor [on "Sons of Anarchy"] and when Kurt [sutter] came up to my area to get some technical advice on the motorcycle club world, I showed him that I wrote scripts and I asked him to let me have a chance when he cast the show. I got cast on the show and then he gave me a real chance to write and here I am.

Q: Tell us more about Happy. Who do you think this guy is and why does he enjoy killing people?

David Labrava: I remember when Kurt [sutter] explained to me why I was called Happy. “Why didn’t you call me Psycho?” He’s like, “No, because your name is Happy, you’re an assassin for the club and you’re never happy. It’s like ironic.” Happy is just soldier. I look at Happy, he’s got his aunt and he has his mom, but the real family to Happy is that club. Those are his brothers. That’s his little world. He’s there to do whatever. He is an assassin for the club.

This is a TV show, you know what I mean, and his character is this guy who’s like, he’s ready to do whatever for the club, whatever it takes. He’s gotten very good at it through time, that’s why he does lines like I’ll do this and I’ll do it very well and they know he will. Like in the beginning when Clay said, these guys are not killers. That’s why they’re having problems with the cartel. Like gun dealing is the extent of their ambitiousness and that’s why they have a guy like Happy. Although Clay has really emerged as evil personified for sure he has. It’s Happy’s calling to do whatever it takes that the club needs, which is a lot of time kill people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...