Bellazon

Carine Roitfeld
Thumbnail

gimodelgal

• 11 months later...

Carine Roitfeld (born September 19, 1954 in Paris, France) was the Editor-in-Chief of French Vogue from 2001 to January 21, 2011. A former fashion model and writer, she announced her resignation on December 17, 2010; she was succeeded by Emmanuelle Alt.

Family background

Her father, Jacques Roitfeld, who died in 1999, was a Russian film producer who worked in Berlin before he moved to Paris and met her mother. Roitfeld describes her mother as a "very classic Frenchwoman." She describes her father as her "idol," and says that "he was always away, filming, at Cannes." She describes her upbringing in the 16th arrondissment of Paris, France was "very Bourgeois. I'm not saying we were in diamonds, but very, very comfortable."

Personal life

Roitfeld and her partner, Christian Restoin, have been together for thirty years. Restoin was the creator of the Equipment clothing line, which he closed in 2001 after Roitfeld accepted the Vogue editorship. The couple have two children:

Julia Restoin Roitfeld (born in Paris on November 12, 1980)

Vladimir Restoin Roitfeld (born in Paris on December 1984)

Julia graduated from Parsons School of Design in New York City in May 2006 and became the face of Tom Ford's fragrance Black Orchid in November 2006.

Vladimir graduated from the University of Southern California Film School in 2007.

Career

At 18, Roitfeld began modeling, having been scouted on the street in Paris by a British photographer's assistant. "I wasn't a star," she says. "I was just booked for junior magazines." She became a writer and then a stylist for French Elle. While she was working as a freelance stylist, her daughter, Julia, was in a children's fashion shoot for Italian Vogue Bambini in 1990, photographed by Mario Testino. In a 2005 interview with 032c magazine, Roitfeld commented, "I was not the best stylist when I worked for fifteen years for French Elle, but certainly when I met Mario Testino something happened. The right person for me at the right time [...]." Roitfeld and Testino soon after began working as a team, doing advertising work as well as shoots for American and French Vogue. Roitfeld went on to work as a consultant and muse for Tom Ford at Gucci and Yves Saint-Laurent for six years. She was approached by Conde Nast International Chairman Jonathan Newhouse to edit French Vogue in 2001. In April 2006, there were rumors that Roitfeld was being approached by Hearst Corporation to take over Glenda Bailey's editor-in-chief position at U.S. Harper's Bazaar.

She has contributed to the images of Gucci, Missoni, Versace, Yves Saint-Laurent, and Calvin Klein.

On December 17, 2010, Carine Roitfeld resigned after ten years of service to concentrate on personal projects. She left the magazine at the end of January 2011. Speculation that she would be joining Tom Ford at his namesake company were refuted by the latter. She was succeeded at French Vogue on February 1, 2011 by Emmanuelle Alt, who had served as Fashion Director under Roitfeld.

source: wikipedia.org

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...