Bellazon

Ibrahim Afellay
Thumbnail

Simao2008

Ibrahim Afellay (born 2 April 1986 in Utrecht) is a Dutch footballer of Moroccan (Al Hoceima) descent playing for FC Barcelona in the Spanish First Division. He has played for the Dutch national youth team and is now part of the senior Dutch national team, who he represented at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. He usually played as the centre attacking midfielder for PSV Eindhoven but can also play at either Wings due to his pace and creative qualities. In 2007, Afellay was awarded the Johan Cruijff Award for "Young Player of the Year" in the Netherlands.

ibrahim-afellay-barcelona-r.jpg

With his mother habiba-ibrahim-afellay-ali-barcelona-reu-24122010-620x250.jpgibrahim-afellay.jpgEl-nuevo-jugador-del-FC-Barcelona,-el-holandés-Ibrahim-Afellay.expand.jpgo_f_c_barcelona_ibrahim_afellay-2416512.jpgIbrahim-Afellay-portara-el-numero-20-con-el-Barcelona_bigphoto_homearticle.jpgIbrahim-Afellay-ya-viste-de-az_54092812658_601_341.jpg

Afellay: I can't wait to play

New Barcelona acquisition Ibrahim Afellay is chomping at the bid to play alongside Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta.

Barca snapped up the creative schemer from PSV Eindoven for a reported three million Euros last week and after his unveiling to the media following his medical, Afellay revealed he cannot wait to link up with the dazzling duo of Messi and Iniesta.

Speaking to Barca TV, Afellay said: "They are the best in the world. I cannot wait to play with them. I cannot compare to Iniesta, he has a lot of quality. Every player is different and has their own virtues.

"I wanted to play for Barcelona even before their interest in signing me, because I watched them on television. Every day when I finish training now, I stay on the field a little longer on the field with the aim of improving.

"I'm still young, but I have played many games. I contested the World Cup with the Netherlands, and all this experience will do well for me."

Incidentally, Afellay has become the Nou Camp outfit's 19th Dutch signing in the history of the club and he will wear the number 20 jersey for the Catalans.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...