Bellazon

Carlo Ancelotti
Thumbnail

madristar

Carlo Ancelotti

Carlo Ancelotti (born 10 June 1959) is a former Italian international footballer and current manager of Chelsea.[2]

Nicknamed Carletto, Ancelotti played as a midfielder and had a successful career with Roma - captaining the team - with whom he won one Scudetto and 4 Coppa Italia and was part of the legendary late 80's Milan team, with whom he won two Scudetti and two European Cups in a five-year period. He was capped 26 times and scored one goal for the Italian national team and appeared at the 1986 and 1990 World Cups.

After spells as manager of Reggiana, Parma and Juventus, Carlo Ancelotti was appointed Milan manager in 2001. He won the Scudetto in 2004, the Champions League in 2003 and 2007 and the Coppa Italia in 2003. They were also Serie A and Champions League runner-ups in 2005. He is one of six men to have won the European Cup as player and manager. In May 2009 he was appointed Chelsea manager and in his first season led them to a historic Premier League and FA Cup Double. He became only the second non-British manager to win the double, the other being Arsène Wenger.

Personal life

In 1983, Ancelotti has two children: a daughter, Katia, and a son, Davide, who also played in the Milan youth team and later joined Borgomanero in June 2008.[10] In 2008, Carlo Ancelotti confirmed in an interview that he had broken up with his wife of 25 years.[10]

In May 2009, Ancelotti's autobiography, Preferisco la Coppa ("I Prefer the Cup", with a word-play by Ancelotti on the Italian word "coppa" that stands both for "cup" and a type of cured cold pork meat cut), was published, with all proceeds from sales of the book going to the Fondazione Stefano Borgonovo for the funding of research on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.[11]

Recently, Ancelotti has had to travel back to Italy on a regular basis to visit his 87-year-old father who was in poor health with diabetes and other issues. On the issue he said "I don't have a problem managing the team for this reason. It's difficult, emotionally, when it's your father... but this is life. I have to do my best to stay close to him, but this is the life."[12] Giuseppe Ancelotti died in the early hours of 30 September 2010.

Ancelotti: Arsenal scared of Drogba

Chelsea manager Carlos Ancelotti insists Arsenal are 'a little afraid' of Didier Drogba ahead of their clash on Monday.

And the Gunners have sufficient reason to.

The Ivorian striker boasts of an impressive scoring record against the Gunners, having scored 10 goals in the past 14 meetings against them.

Drogba scored twice in the Blues' 3-0 win in the correspondent fixture last season was also on the scoresheet in the 2-0 FA Cup win at Stamford Bridge.

He last haunted them in October when scored in a 2-0 win over Arsene Wenger's side.

Despite his recent struggles with malaria, Ancelotti is backing Drogba to kick-start his season at the Emirates on Monday.

"Arsenal have fantastic ability and are able to play fantastic football, but maybe they concede something defensively, so we have to use our ability to find the right space to create difficulty in their defensive line," the Italian was quoted as saying in The Guardian.

"I think they are a little bit afraid of the performance of Drogba, because he's done very well against them. If Drogba plays at his best, we'll have more opportunity to win. We want to try the same game that we played against them, and we hope to reach the same result."

The 30-year-old has been a shadow of the player he was last season where he ended up as the league's top scorer.

And the postponement of last weekend's clash with Manchester United has given Drogba time to regain his fitness.

And the same could be said of Frank Lampard.

"I think it was an advantage," said Ancelotti, who has given his team Christmas Day off.

"We trained well. We have improved our condition, we used this time - it was a good time for us - and now we're ready to play. Zhirkov, Benayoun and Alex are still out for this game, but the other players have had good sessions and all are in good condition, they are able to play.

"Obviously, I think that Lampard will be excited to play after a long time out. I think he can give fantastic support to the team with his performances."

Game over for Ancelotti and wife as they split after 25 years - days after he's pictured kissing Romanian girlfriend

(this is old news)

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has split from his wife of 25 years.

The break-up comes just days after pictures of him kissing his Romanian girlfriend were published in his native Italy.

Ancelotti, 51, who guided Chelsea to a league and cup double last season, has two children with helicopter-flying wife Luisa.

The relationship had been on the rocks for several years.

Ancelotti himself admitted in a magazine interview that it had 'its high points and its low points'. Both had found other partners.

Days ago Ancelotti was pictured kissing and cuddling his long-term girlfriend Marina Cretu, 31, in a Miami swimming pool.

Last year Marina had told friends Ancelotti was 'weak and feeble' after he refused to chose between her and his wife.

She even temporarily broke up with him as she tried to force him to choose.

Today the Ancelottis appeared before civil judge Roberto Piscopo to agree their separation.

A divorce - providing there are no last minute hitches - will be granted in three years as is usual under Italian law.

The hearing took place in the town of Parma in central Italy.

According to a report in the local newspaper the agreement is 'consensual' between both parties.

Ancelotti met Marina in 2004 when she was working as a hostess at Modena football club close to his home town of Reggiolo near Parma.

He still has a home in Reggiolo, where his wife still lives.

The couple met secretly at first. Within a year Marina had dumped her boyfriend and moved to Milan to be near Ancelotti, setting up home in the suburb of Rho and getting a job at AC Milan press office where he was manager at the time.

Two years ago Marina and Ancelotti even went on holiday to her home town of Bucharest and as these photographs show they spent several happy days there.

They visited the infamous Presidential Palace built by Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu as well as Count Dracula's castle in Transylvania, Marina even introduced Ancelloti to her parents.

marina post-34297-0-1446110589-37114_thumb.jpg

Luisa post-34297-0-1446110589-39315_thumb.jpg

Ancelotti: This game will be different

Chelsea coach Carlo Ancelotti believes the addition of Marouane Chamakh has added a new dimension to Arsenal's attack.

Chelsea have lorded it over Arsenal in the past six years, losing only two out of the eleven Premier League meetings since 2004.

The Gunners had entered a period of rebuilding after enjoying great success in the early part of the decade while Chelsea have been on an upward trajectory ever since they were bought over by Roman Abramovich.

In the past two or three years though, Arsenal fans have become increasingly impatient with the club's lack of silverware and manager Arsene Wenger's insistence on developing young talent rather than buying outright superstars. But with the arrival of Chamakh this season, Ancelotti feels the Gunners pose more of a threat than in previous years.

In comments reported by Chelsea's official website, the Italian said: "I think Arsenal changed a little bit compared with last season, not just because they were able to buy [Marouane] Chamakh who is a very good striker but also because they improve their experience. It could be a different game compared with last season.

"To have a strong team who can take advantage against Arsenal you have to be able to defend well because Arsenal use very well their skills and ability up front.

"This year they have a different opportunity to score because Chamakh is a different player compared with last season, he is able to play with his head so they can use more crosses compared with last season. The right way to win against them is to defend well."

Chelsea's match is the first of a hectic period during which they will play four games in ten days. While many coaches have said the load is too heavy, Ancelotti says he enjoys the festive matches.

"It is not too much. 'It is difficult to manage the team when you don't have time to recover. It is very difficult to manage the team when you have play on the 27th and the 29th, obviously you have to use rotation in this period, but I am not surprised we have to play in this period.

"I think that Italian football would like to play in this Christmas period. The clubs would like to play, and if there are players that don't like to play in this period then they don't want to play football.

"It is a very good for the image of the Premier League outside of this country."

Finally, the former AC Milan coach looked back on 2010 - a year in which he completed a historic double with the Blues.

"2010 was a fantastic year for Chelsea and for me. My dream was to start well my new experience and I will have always fantastic memories of this year. We were able to win the Double and this year our dream is the same - to win something."

A win over Arsenal on Monday will go a long way in realising that dream.

Ancelotti eyes three Xmas presents

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has three major stars in his Christmas shopping list for the January transfer window.

Blues owner Roman Abramovic has promised the Italian of fundings to boost the faltering squad as they seek to get their title defence back on track.

The reigning champions are currently in their longest winless streak in a decade and have dropped down from top spot to fourth in the league.

And according to the Daily Mirror newspaper, Ancelotti has pin-pointed three players whom he wants at Stamford Bridge in January.

However, all three have recently signed new deals at their respective clubs.

Newcastle striker Andy Carroll, regarded as the up-and-coming England number nine, has signed a five-year-contract to remain at St James Park two months ago.

But Ancelotti is not put off by that and sees the 21-year-old as a replacement for Didier Drogba.

Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger have dashed the hopes of many suitors by penning a four-year contract with the German giants - but not the Chelsea boss.

Likewise, Dutch midfield maestro Wesley Sneijder has extended his contract with Inter Milan by a further two years.

Despite the apparent setback, Ancelotti is adamant he can still get his men as the clubs will not rule out selling their players at the right price.

Ancelotti: We need Drogba at his best

Carlo Ancelotti admits Chelsea are a different side without Didier Drogba and hopes he returns to his best soon.

The Ivory Coast international has not been in his most prolific form this season, scoring just five times since the opening match against West Bromwich Albion - where he bagged a hat-trick.

He has since suffered a spell on the sidelined with malaria and was confined to the bench in recent weeks.

He did get back to scoring ways last week after coming on to score the equalizer in the 1-1 draw with Tottenham Hotspur but missed the chance to win it for the Blues from the penalty spot.

Perhaps a sign that he is not back to his best yet, Ancelotti believes the 32-year-old is slowly getting there.

"Obviously we need him to get back to his performances of last year.

"There was a lot of time that he was not able to score so I think the goal against Tottenham was very good for his attitude."

After scoring against Spurs, Drogba celebrated in a bullish manner - seemingly as a gesture towards Ancelotti for not starting him at White Hart Lane.

But the Italian dismissed the celebration and insists that the striker has yet to reach full fitness.

"I am not interested if it was against me or against the fans," Ancelotti explained.

"It doesn't matter. What matters is the fact he played well and that he reacted well when he came on.

"I spoke with him a lot of times because I understood he was not in condition, that he has difficulty to play with malaria because he was not 100 per cent fit.

"When he had the problem Didier was very clear with me. He said 'I am not 100 per cent, I am not able to play at my best'.

"He was tired, he had difficulty training but I put him in the last game because we needed to have his character, we needed to have his personality."

Drogba finished as top scorer in the Barclays Premier League last season and Ancelotti hopes he can repeat the feat for the Blues this season.

He said: "Last year he scored 37 goals which were all very important for our season.

"A lot of times he didn't play so well but he was still able to score in nearly every game.

"In the games without him we play differently. We could not use his power up front.

"It's a different team without him."

Chelsea are currently in their longest winless streak in a decade and have slipped from top-spot to fourth in the league.

Ancelotti: Results not everything

There is a famouse quote "Winning isn't everything - it's the only thing". But Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti clearly disagrees.

Ancelotti has tried to play down his side's worst Barclays Premier League run for more than a decade by claiming winning is not the most important thing in football.

The under-pressure Blues boss believes results should be secondary to the general progress of a club, saying: "I don't think it is the most important thing, to win.

"I know that a lot of managers are judged just on the results.

"Maybe in the future I will be an owner of a club.

"I will judge my coach not just on the results."

Expanding on the factors he would consider, the Italian added: "The philosophy of the team, the philosophy of the club, the atmosphere.

"There are a lot of things that you can judge."

Ancelotti was responding to a question about whether he needed to win the Champions League to remain at Stamford Bridge in the long term.

Billionaire owner Roman Abramovich is thought to be obsessed with the competition and, asked if his boss shared his philosophy, Ancelotti said: "You have to ask Mr Abramovich, not me!"

The Italian cited Arsenal's Arsene Wenger has the perfect example of a manager who has enjoyed the kind of leeway he would like.

Wenger has not won a trophy for five years and Ancelotti said: "Arsenal are playing without victory very good football.

"The fans I think of Arsenal are happy to watch their team play, that they are playing good football."

Abramovich has dispensed with more than one of Ancelotti's predecessors over statistically less alarming dips than the one the current manager has overseen.

The former AC Milan coach has no intention of walking away himself following a week of reports speculating he was becoming disillusioned with life at Stamford Bridge.

Ancelotti, who won the double in his first season in charge, reiterated he wanted to stay for 10 years, saying: "I maintain the same idea. I am feeling good here and I would like to stay here if it's possible.

"The first year here was very good and I think we need to maintain the same level this season and the other seasons.

"It depends, obviously, on the results. This is normal."

But Ancelotti is highly unlikely to be in charge as long as the man he will face this weekend when Sir Alex Ferguson brings Manchester United to west London.

Ferguson will overtake Sir Matt Busby's record of 24 years, one month and 13 days at the helm of United tomorrow.

"I'm coming from Italy and for me it's impossible to think one coach could stay for 24 years," said Ancelotti.

"For me, he never lost his passion, he never lost his ability to manage the team and he's a fantastic example for every coach to follow.

"Obviously, everyone I think hopes to have the same career at one club."

He added: "If Sir Alex was able to do this, why is another manager not able to do this?"

Arsenal 3-1 Chelsea

Arsenal moved back to second place in the Premier League after finally beating title rivals Chelsea.

The 3-1 scoreline was the first time Arsenal had beaten Chelsea since November 2008 as the Blues' poor run continued.

The Gunners had lost each of their previous five matches against Chelsea, but Alex Song put them ahead before half-time, with quickfire strikes from captain Cesc Fabregas and Theo Walcott giving Arsene Wenger's side a three-goal cushion.

Chelsea reduced the deficit through Branislav Ivanovic, but there was no way back for Carlo Ancelotti's men, who have now taken just six points from their last eight league games - the club's worst run since 1998.

Arsenal, beaten at Manchester United in their previous game, were positive during the opening exchanges.

Robin van Persie almost collected Song's chip into the box, but the ball bounced just ahead of the Dutch striker.

There was a warning with Chelsea's first meaningful attack as Didier Drogba - with 13 goals in as many games against the Gunners - shrugged off his marker to drag a 20-yard shot wide.

John Terry pulled back Van Persie as the Gunners looked to break on the half-way line, but a stern talking-to from referee Mark Clattenburg was all the Chelsea skipper received.

The home side continued to press, and had a penalty appeal waved away when Florent Malouda looked to have made some contact with Van Persie at the edge of the box.

Nasri's 25-yard free-kick was on target, but held by Petr Cech.

Walcott latched on to a long ball over the Chelsea defence, but just as he aimed to cut back into the area, his touch was poor and Terry recovered to clear.

On 29 minutes, former Gunner Ashley Cole went into the referee's book for tripping Walcott as his England colleague turned him on the right touchline.

Van Persie was then put through into the left by Nasri after some clever one-touch passing, the Dutchman snatched at his angled shot, which flew high and wide.

Salomon Kalou was perhaps fortunate to receive only a yellow card after jumping in, studs up on Gael Clichy.

Arsenal increased the tempo as half-time approached.

Walcott scampered into the right side of the Chelsea penalty area and was blocked by Cech at the near post before the goalkeeper turned over Nasri's chip which was looping into the top-left corner.

The Gunners finally made the breakthrough after 43 minutes.

Jack Wilshere and Song exchanged passes on the edge of the area, with the Cameroon midfielder carrying the ball into the box.

Paulo Ferreira slid in and tripped Fabregas, but Song had the presence of mind not to wait for a whistle and swept a low left-footed shot across goal and into the bottom right corner.

Chelsea made a change at the start of the second half as the creative Brazilian Ramires replaced John Obi Mikel.

Arsenal, though, had a two-goal cushion after 51 minutes.

Van Persie held the ball up 30 yards out, and, as he was closed down, Michael Essien's challenge inadvertently pushed the ball straight to Walcott clean through on goal.

The England winger dashed to the edge of the box, where he drew Cech before sliding the ball along to Fabregas and the Arsenal skipper made no mistake from 15 yards.

Chelsea had little chance to recover, as Walcott smashed in goal number three just 90 seconds later.

Walcott robbed Malouda and fed Fabregas, who repaid the favour by sending the Arsenal winger away down the right for him to slot a low shot into the bottom left corner.

Ancelotti had to do something, and sent on Gael Kakuta, replacing Malouda.

Chelsea snatched a lifeline after 57 minutes when Drogba's free-kick floated through to the six-yard box, where it was nodded in by Ivanovic.

Given Arsenal's recent record of failing to hold on to winning positions, the visitors rallied.

Chelsea made a final change when Ferreira was replaced by Jose Bosingwa.

Arsenal just about weathered the storm as the contest entered the final 20 minutes.

Nasri should then have done better when Kakuta's tame back-pass presented him with the ball 10 yards from goal, but Cech was out quickly to block.

With 18 minutes left, Walcott was replaced by defensive midfielder Abou Diaby who made his first appearance since mid-October, before Marouane Chamakh came on for Van Persie.

Diaby's close-range effort was blocked by Frank Lampard and Kakuta's bundled effort was ruled out for offside as the Gunners closed out for a long-overdue victory against their championship rivals and moved within two points of leaders Manchester United, albeit having played a game more.

Ancelotti: Chelsea are sleeping

Carlo Ancelotti has urged Chelsea to "wake up" after their winless run stretched to six games with a 3-1 loss to Arsenal.

The Blues looked out of sorts at the Emirates on Monday and were made to pay by the surprisingly ruthless Gunners, who finally ended their barren run against their London rivals.

Despite pulling a goal back through Branislav Ivanovic, goals from Alex Song, Cesc Fabregas and Theo Walcott did the damage.

"The difference was the quality," Ancelotti told Sky Sports.

"Arsenal put more quality on the pitch than us. They were able to play with the football. They played better than us.

"We didn't play well. We're in a difficult moment. We need to try and win the game against Bolton.

"We have to continue to work. We worked well these last two weeks. We didn't have a good performance today but we'll try in the next game.

"The table is not good but this is the reality. We have to wake up. Now we are sleeping."

When asked if he was worried about his future, he added: "I am not. This is a question you have to ask the owner. I'm confident."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger praised the patience of his side.

He said: "We have matured. We have been disciplined, matured and played for each other.

"The focus of the team was good, even when we had to be less adventurous at some stages.

"We were quite solid. They scored on a set-piece. Drogba takes them very well. In open play, we were solid.

"Let's hope that it strengthens our belief that we can challenge for the championship and it strengthens our belief we're on the right way."

The Blues are six points adrift of leaders Manchester United, just two months after leading the table by five points.

Ancelotti: Blame it on me

Carlo Ancelotti accepted responsibility for Chelsea's slump after Monday's 3-1 drubbing by Arsenal heaped further pressure on him.

The champions have slipped from top of the Barclays Premier League to fourth place after going six matches without victory in the competition.

Ancelotti's position is now under intense scrutiny, but the Chelsea manager insisted he does not fear for his job.

"I don't know (how long owner Roman Abramovich will remain patient). Obviously he won't be happy at this moment," he said.

"I will take my responsibility, but this is a question you have to ask him, not me.

"I'm not afraid about my job. Everyone said I did a fantastic job last year. Now people are asking me about my job.

"We have to do better, obviously. It's not usual that Chelsea can't win for six games."

Arsenal climbed to second in the table after goals from Alex Song, Cesc Fabregas and Theo Walcott ended their five-match losing streak against their title rivals.

Branislav Ivanovic pulled a goal back for Chelsea, but it was a poor display from the champions and Ancelotti admitted his team must "wake up".

"I'm worried, obviously, because that's six games we've not been able to win," he said.

"I didn't see the team playing the way we want and we had difficulty playing our football."

"We're obviously not so confident playing in this moment. I didn't expect this defeat. I was surprised by this performance.

"I saw very good training sessions this week, so I was surprised by this performance.

"We are sleeping now. This is the reality of this team. We are sleeping.

"If you play against a good team like Arsenal, you lose if you don't wake up."

Ancelotti received support from Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

"I personally rate Ancelotti very highly and I can't believe that (his job would be under threat)," said Wenger.

It was a crucial victory for Arsenal, whose ability to compete against their main title rivals Chelsea and Manchester United has been doubted.

Wenger claimed the result has flooded his side with self-belief, and after leaking 13 goals in their last five meetings with the Blues, the Frenchman insisted they have developed some steel.

"This win has a double impact. Mathematically, it keeps us in touch with the leaders of the league," said Wenger.

"And psychologically, it was important. We were questioned about our capability of winning big games.

"I'm happy with the desire in the team. We kept good discipline in the team for 90 minutes and put in a real team performance.

"Two years ago with the same players, we were maybe battered by Chelsea. Last year we felt we were getting closer.

"This year, at United and Chelsea, we were more frustrated because we were more in the game and there was no real difference.

"Maybe we played a bit with the handbrake. It was a slow learning process that we got out of our system tonight.

"Cesc Fabregas said we were maybe scared to win. There was a strong word, but maybe there was something in it.

"We didn't see that tonight. It was a locked game at the start, but the first goal gave a huge advantage.

"We are not bullied any more, that is for sure.

"It's always very difficult to say because every game is different, but I feel we have matured over the last two years."

Arsenal vs Chelsea Player Ratings

Marcus Chhan was on hand to witness Arsenal finally end their hoodoo against Chelsea with a 3-1 win the Premier League.

Arsenal

Lukasz Fabianski - 6

Culpable for the Chelsea goal.

Bacary Sagna - 7

The right back was solid and got the better off a really poor Malouda.

Gael Clichy - 6.5

He had his iffy moments in the match which Arsenal fans might be getting used to by now.

Alex Song – 7.5

A holding midfielder who loves to get forward – a tidy finish for Arsenal’s first goal.

Laurent Koscielny - 7

The difference in size between Koscielny and Drogba was obvious, but the defender held his own against the man Arsenal fans must be sick of seeing score against their team. He didn't score on Monday night and Koscielny was part of the reason.

Johan Djourou - 7

He made some crucial interceptions for his team.

Cesc Fabregas - 7.5

The skipper put his money where his mouth is after criticizing his team for being 'scared' to win games against the big teams. A big game from Arsenal's big time player.

Jack Wilshere - 6.5

Doesn’t look a man for the big occasion just yet, but to his credit it was his ball into the Chelsea box which caused the Blues trouble and led to the Arsenal goal on the stroke of halftime.

Robin van Persie (Off 76' ) - 7

Missed a golden chance to score in the first half, but generally his movement was good throughout the match and it appears Arsene Wenger made the right decision to start him ahead of Chamakh.

Theo Walcott (Off 73') - 7.5

He looked clumsy in the first half but was a different player after that. He played the right ball to set up Fabregas for Arsenal's second and was in like a flash to dispossess Malouda to bagged Arsenal's third.

Samir Nasri - 7

Dirfted in and out of the game - it certainly wasn't up to the high standards he has set this season but it wasn't bad either.

Subs

Abou Diaby (On 73') - 6.5

Added more defensive protection for Arsenal when he came on for Walcott.

Marouane Chamakh (On 76') - 6

It'll be interesting to see how Van Persie and Chamakh link up when both play more games together.

Tomas Rosicky (on 88') - 6

It didn't matter in the end, but I can't believe he strayed offside when Arsenal went forward in numbers late in the match which could've made things 4-1.

Chelsea

Petr Cech - 7

What a save Cech made to deny Nasri a spectacular first half goal, but he was left exposed in the second half by some poor team defending.

John Terry - 7

Terry will be distraught that his side conceded three goals despite his own display.

Ashley Cole - 7

Always seems to perform against his old club, and he remained a crucial option left for Chelsea to expose Arsenal down the flank.

Branislav Ivanovic - 7

Chelsea fans would've been happy to see the way Ivanovic stepped up at 3-0 down when a lesser man might've have dropped their head and given up. His goal kept Chelsea alive.

Paulo Ferreira (Off 61') - 6

Struggled against Nasri's pace.

Frank Lampard - 6

Great to see him back and runnning. Lacked that bit of match sharpness.

Michael Essien - 6

Unlucky that his challenge left the ball rolling to Walcott who prompty squared it to Fabregas for Arsenal's second.

Mikel John Obi (Off 45’) – 6

Carlo Ancelotti handed him a starting place again, but he was ineffective.

Florent Malouda (Off 56') - 4.5

Hauled off shortly after Chelsea gave up a third goal. Walcott picked his pocket and went in through on goal to score. What was he thinking?

Didier Drogba - 6.5

It had to happen one day. Drogba just couldn't score against Arsenal this time round.

Salomon Kalou - 6.5

He needed to get down the right flank more than he did to try and test a suspect looking Clichy out.

Subs

Ramires (On 45’) - 6

He came on and injected a sense of urgency into Chelsea's play. Not sure why he didn't play Drogba in late in the second half with scores 3-1 to Arsenal. That might have made a difference.

Gael Kakuta (On 56') - 6

Creative little player.

Bosingwa (On 61') - 6

Came on for his crossing ability as Chelsea had to chase the game.

Astrologicallly

Gemini

The Twins

Modality: Mutable

Element: Air

Ruler: Mercury

Season: Spring

3rd Sign of Zodiac

Metal: Mercury

Stone: Agate

Color: Yellow

Anatomy: Hands and arms; lungs.

Keywords: talkative, mental, adaptable, flexible, changeable, responsive, sociable, superficial

Comparison with the Gemini symbol, the Twins:

Gemini the TwinsGeminis are said to have a dual nature, as symbolized by twins. This duality also represents exchange and interaction. The sign of Gemini is closely associated with exchange of ideas, communication, and trade.

The sign of Gemini is thought to be very adaptable and flexible, sometimes to the point of "being" two different personalities.

The glyph for Gemini depicts two lines joined together, showing the symbolism of the twins, and the duality of the nature of the sign.

Ancelotti admits fatigue over Chelsea

Carlo Ancelotti admits Chelsea's alarming slump in the Barclays Premier League has taken its toll on him.

The Blues host Aston Villa on Sunday having finally ended their worst run of league results in 11 years with a 1-0 victory over Bolton on Wednesday night.

A first win in seven top-flight games eased the pressure on manager Ancelotti, who had received the backing of billionaire owner Roman Abramovich following Monday's limp defeat at Arsenal.

Ancelotti is well aware Abramovich's patience is not without limit, however, and admits he had felt the pressure.

"It was a hard period - that's normal," said the Italian, whose fourth-placed side will drop back out of the Champions League spots if Tottenham beat Fulham.

"It was a very difficult period.

"We have to keep going now. We have to maintain good focus on our training and on our games."

Rather than sack Ancelotti, Abramovich may now decide to back him in the January transfer window.

A defender is the Chelsea boss's number one target should the knee injury that has sidelined Alex continue to rule the Brazilian out next month.

Bolton's Gary Cahill is rumoured to be top of the list while reports in Portugal have claimed the Blues have had a £17million bid for Benfica's David Luiz knocked back.

And despite Branislav Ivanovic being suspended against Villa after foolishly getting booked in his final match before the mid-season yellow card amnesty, Ancelotti is in no rush to splash Abramovich's cash.

"We didn't speak about this but we have one month," he said.

"(If) we need to have some players, I said a lot of times that we are able to do it."

There will not be wholesale changes, of course, which means Ancelotti must continue to try to get the best out of his existing squad.

"We are not at our best, obviously - the best condition, the best confidence, or the best atmosphere," he said.

"But I think we can improve - we have to improve."

And Ancelotti is refusing to obsess over the form of Manchester United as he tries to figure out a way of hauling Chelsea back into the title race.

"We don't have to look at United," said the Chelsea boss, whose side are four points behind unbeaten leaders United having played a game more.

"This is a very difficult championship because every game can have a difficulty.

"It's a Premier League with a lot of balance, so nothing is decided now."

Ancelotti: Title race still on

Carlo Ancelotti is refusing to obsess over the form of Manchester United as he tries to haul Chelsea back into the title race.

The Blues finally stop the rot that had set in over the previous two months by grinding out a 1-0 win over Bolton at Stamford Bridge.

It was ugly, nervy, and somewhat lucky but the three points were all that mattered for a side that had not won any of their previous six league matches and were on their worst run for 11 years.

Having tossed away a five-point lead to slump to fifth in the table, Chelsea have climbed back up to fourth and to within four points of United, who had been held to a 1-1 draw at Birmingham.

The still-unbeaten leaders have a game in hand over Ancelotti's men, who will need them to drop more points if the championship is to be retained.

Ancelotti, who has admitted his side would have been out of the title race had they not won yesterday, expects more twists and turns at the top of the table but will not spend an undue amount of time worrying about the fortunes of Chelsea's biggest rivals.

"We don't have to look at United," he said.

"This is a very difficult championship because every game can have a difficulty.

"It's a Premier League with a lot of balance, so nothing is decided now."

Last night's win eased the pressure on Ancelotti, who had received the backing of billionaire owner Roman Abramovich following Monday's limp defeat at Arsenal.

Ancelotti is well aware Abramovich's patience is not without limit and admits recent weeks have taken their toll.

"It's a hard period. That's normal," he said.

"It was a very difficult period.

"We have to keep going now. We have to maintain good focus on our training and on our games."

Rather than sack Ancelotti, Abramovich may now decide to back him in the January transfer window.

A defender is the Chelsea boss' number one target should the knee injury that has sidelined Alex continue to rule the Brazilian out next month.

Bolton's Gary Cahill is rumoured to be top of the list while reports in Portugal have claimed the Blues have had a £17million bid for Benfica's David Luiz knocked back.

And despite Branislav Ivanovic being suspended for Sunday's game with Aston Villa after foolishly getting booked in his final match before the mid-season yellow card amnesty, Ancelotti insists he is in no rush to splash Abramovich's cash.

"We didn't speak about this but we have one month," he said.

"(If) we need to have some players, I said a lot of times that we are able to do it."

There will not be wholesale changes, of course, which means Ancelotti must continue to try to get the best out of his existing squad.

"We are not at our best," he said.

"But I think we can improve - we have to improve."

That assessment was backed up by Bolton boss Owen Coyle, whose side could easily have snatched a point last night.

"Ultimately, if you're not winning games then confidence erodes," he said.

"But what I do know is that might just be the game that kick-starts them because they have undoubted quality.

"They're a fantastic football club and, all of a sudden, they're right back in the mix.

"That's the beauty of football. It can change very quickly.

"I've got no doubts they'll be amongst the honours."

Coyle was only able to name six substitutes last night and a booking for defender Paul Robinson - again a game before the amnesty - means they could be down to 16 available players for Saturday's trip to Liverpool.

Ancelotti relieved by vital victory

Carlo Ancelotti admitted Chelsea would have surrendered their Premier League title had they not beaten Bolton Wanderers.

The Blues ground out the scrappiest of 1-0 wins to take maximum points for the first time in seven matches and close to within four points of leaders Manchester United.

The result eased the pressure on manager Ancelotti, who had overseen the club's worst sequence since 1999, a run that saw them slump from top spot to fifth in the table.

After watching his side edge back above Tottenham into fourth, the Italian revealed he felt they needed to win to maintain their title defence.

"Obviously, yes," said Ancelotti, who went into Wednesday's match with the backing of billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.

"I think it was the most important thing to change the atmosphere, to change the trend, to come back to win.

"This was the most important thing."

Chelsea were far from their best, especially in a miserable first half in which they failed to muster a shot on target.

They were much improved after the break but Bolton had enough chances to have snatched a point.

Ancelotti was therefore reluctant to brand the result the turning point in his side's season.

He said: "We have to wait. It was a very important step, this victory, this performance.

"Bolton played well, they used a lot of power up front, they were dangerous.

"Now we have to wait for the next game.

"This is an important step.

"I'm not sure that everything now will be okay. We have to put on a performance again."

Ancelotti insisted he was not panicking at half-time, saying: "(I was) not worried because we knew that the game was not easy.

"We needed to fight on the long ball and I think that defensively we did very well to control Davies and Elmander.

"We lost some passes in the first half - we were a little bit afraid.

"But this was normal because there was a lot of pressure on this game.

"The second half was really better."

The winner was scored in the 61st minute by Florent Malouda and the relief as the ball hit the net was palable around Stamford Bridge.

"The goal took the weight off our shoulders," said Ancelotti, who shrugged off questions over whether Didier Drogba was offside in laying on the goal.

"I don't know if it was offside and I'm not interested."

Opposite number Owen Coyle was certainly interested in that decision and also another he felt robbed his side of a potential point.

"We came to be positive in the game, believing that we could win the match," he said.

"I think we controlled the game for periods in the match, whilst accepting that Chelsea have world-class players.

"Regardless of people's perception of their form, you know at times they're always going to have spells in games.

"We looked as if we'd weathered any threat they had.

"Ultimately, we've been done with a huge decision that I believe was offside.

"We had a few half-chances, possibly could've had a penalty as well with John Terry's handball.

"But I was here last year and had two stonewall penalties - I think Didier Drogba was playing volleyball with one - and I never got a penalty, so I certainly wasn't going to get that tonight."

When informed assistant referee Darren Cann was an official at this summer's World Cup final, Coyle added: "I know he is because I had him earlier in the season at Wigan as well with a goal that was clearly offside.

"So there you go."

Despite missing the chance to climb above Chelsea in the league, Coyle was nevertheless delighted at the progress his side had made since he took charge at the start of 2010 - when Bolton were in the drop zone.

He said: "If somebody had said we'd be coming to Chelsea in the last game of the year with a chance to leapfrog them, at that point they'd have probably taken me away in a straightjacket."

Chelsea rejected VDV for Ramires

Chelsea turned down the chance to sign Dutch star Rafael van der Vaart in the summer, according to reports.

The midfielder has quickly established himself as a fan favourite at Tottenham Hotspur since his £8million move to the club with goals and attacking flair to help Harry Redknapp's team stay in the hunt for a first ever Premier League trophy.

Champions Chelsea, who are currently just one point ahead of Spurs, decided to splash the cash on Brazilian youngster Ramires instead.

A Chelsea insider told the Sun: "We had a call to say Jose Mourinho was ready to let Van der Vaart leave Real Madrid for around £10million and did we want him.

"But it was decided he wasn't good enough so we passed on him. That's not looking the best of decisions is it?

"Our midfielders are too alike - they are strong and powerful, good athletes but not with a great deal of invention."

Ramires has so far struggled to adapt to life in the Premiership, and his indifferent form was only magnified by the club's recent slump.

A laboured 1-0 win at home against Bolton Wanderers was their first league win in over a month and was met by boos. However, Carlo Ancelotti's side are a good bet to win in style at home on Sunday when they play an Aston Villa side who are leaking goals.

Chelsea 1-0 Bolton

It was scrappy and lucky, but Chelsea managed to end their worst Premier League run for more than a decade by beating Bolton.

Florent Malouda scored his first league goal for more than two months to send the faltering champions back into the top four and ease the pressure on manager Carlo Ancelotti.

Didier Drogba also hit the post but was forced to clear off the line as Bolton had more than enough chances to snatch a point.

Chelsea's first league win in seven lifted them back to within four points of leaders Manchester United, who have a game in hand.

Despite his side having thrown away a five-point lead in the last two months, Ancelotti retained the backing of billionaire owner Roman Abramovich ahead of tonight's game.

The Russian would not have liked what he saw from his Caribbean retreat as the Blues struggled to string two passes together in a miserable first half at a sodden Stamford Bridge.

They did not manage a single shot on target and of the two they did muster, one of them was a Drogba free-kick that embarrassingly screwed out for a throw-in.

Bolton were typically combative and John Terry needed to produce a desperate challenge to prevent Kevin Davies stealing in, while Matthew Taylor drilled wide after latching onto the recalled Jose Bosingwa's attempted clearance.

Branislav Ivanovic was booked for felling Johan Elmander and Chelsea's frustration increased as captain Terry harangued referee Michael Jones after the official elected not show Paul Robinson a yellow card for a foul on Michael Essien.

Taylor sent a sweet left-foot curler narrowly over as Bolton continued to look the more threatening and there was more bad news for the home side when Drogba began limping.

The striker played on as Chelsea began to wrest a semblance of control and Taylor was booked after clattering into Ramires.

But the home side were not even close to a goal before being booed off by some of their fans at half-time.

They looked no better in the opening four minutes of the second half until, out of nowhere, Frank Lampard produced a wonderful defence-splitting pass for Drogba, whose finish hit the inside of the far post and was cleared to safety.

Chelsea suddenly looked a different side and Nicolas Anelka was flagged narrowly offside racing onto Ramires' through ball before they finally put together a sweeping passing move that ended with a tame Essien finish.

The pressure finally told in the 61st minute when Essien released Drogba down the right and the striker squared for Malouda to tap home his first league goal since October.

The jubilant celebrations from both fans and players told their own story but Chelsea's confidence remained fragile and Sam Ricketts blazed over from 12 yards as Bolton hit back.

Stuart Holden then had a handball appeal turned down after smashing a shot at Terry inside the box.

Sensing blood, visiting boss Owen Coyle withdrew Rodrigo Moreno - impressive on his full Premier League debut - for Ivan Klasnic after his side were awarded a free-kick.

Gary Cahill - a reported January target for Chelsea - immediately headed Taylor's centre wide.

Bolton went even closer when Elmander's cross was met by a bullet header from Holden, forcing a wonderful tip over from Petr Cech.

The goalkeeper made a hash of the resulting corner and was grateful to Drogba on the line for clearing the danger.

At the other end, Essien thought he had bundled the ball over the line in between Bolton's final two substitutions but the flag had already gone up.

Malouda was denied twice by Jussi Jaaskelainen late on before Ancelotti ran down the clock by introducing Salomon Kalou and Paulo Ferreira in the closing seconds.

Chelsea vs Bolton Player Ratings

We rate the players in the Premier League game between Chelsea and Bolton at Stamford Bridge which the Blues won 1-0.

Chelsea

Petr Cech - 5.5

One great fingertip save to deny Stuart Holden. Was not really tested by Bolton otherwise.

Branislav Ivanovic - 6

Was in a pitched battle with Johan Elmander throughout the game and did alright without really being brilliant.

John Terry - 7.5

Lucky not to give away a penalty, but other than that - he was very good against Kevin Davies, who is certainly more than a handful for any defender. Also got Bosingwa out of a few tricky situations.

Jose Bosingwa (off 90') - 3.5

His defending was quite simply ragged. The Portuguese let the ball bounce far too often before clearing, allowed Matthew Taylor too much space on the edge of the area and gave the impression of being a ticking time-bomb for Chelsea.

Ashley Cole - 4

At one point earlier in the season, the Cole-Malouda partnership was one of the most lethal in the season. The left-back mislaid too many balls down the channel and his runs were nullified to a large extent by Moreno.

Ramires - 4

Was decent in the first half, anonymous in the second.

Michael Essien - 7

It was a game of two halves for the Ghanian. He was poor in the first but close to his back to his thundering best in the second. Rode two challenges before slipping Drogba in during the lead-up to then goal and dominated midfield far more than he had done before the interval.

Frank Lampard - 7

Was nowhere to be found earlier in the game but formed an increasingly dangerous partnership with Drogba. One defence-splitting ball put the Ivorian through but the shot deflected back off the post.

Nicolas Anelka (off 90') - 4

Another player who looks desperately short of playing time. The normally gazelle like forward looked rusty and was far too wasteful with the ball.

Didier Drogba - 8

The man who, as usual, looked most like making it happen for Carlo Ancelotti's team - one horribly miscued free-kick aside. Showed great awareness to find Malouda for the goal and was unlucky to see an earlier effort come back off the post. Needs more playing time to be back to his best.

Florent Malouda - 6.5

He might have scored the match-winning goal but there were far too many wasteful passes for a man of his quality. Struggled to form any sort of understanding with Ashley Cole. Great run for the goal though.

Subs

Salomon Kalou (on 90') - n.a

Paulo Ferriera (on 90') - n.a

Bolton

Jussi Jaaskelainen - 6

Got a crucial fingertip to deny Drogba before the interval and one decent save to push away a tricky Ashley Cole shot.

Gary Cahill - 6

Was increasingly stretched by some slick Chelsea passing in the second-half but was not tested before that.

Zat Knight - 6

Failed to spot Malouda's run which led to Chelsea's goal, but didn't do too much wrong otherwise.

Sam Ricketts -6.5

Was freed up of his defensive duties by a hard-working Rodrigo Moreno and took full advantage to swing in some great crosses from the right - especially in the first-half. Was the man who probably played Drogba onside for the first goal though.

Paul Robinson - 6

Effectively shut down supply from his flank - neutralising Malouda and forcing the Frenchman to pass sideways rather than forwards. Not much prodcue going forward though.

Rodrigo Moreno (off 72') - 7

On his Premier League debut, did a great job of keeping Ashley Cole quiet - freeing up Ricketts to make some useful runs down the right. Got forward whenever the opportunity presented itself.

Stuart Holden (off 82') - 6.5

Showed real industry in the centre of midfield along with Fabrice Muamba. Was the more adveturous of the two and could have scored from a bullet header if not for a great Cech save.

Fabrice Muamba - 6.5

Did a great job of keeping the Chelsea midfield on a leash in the first half although he did appear a little ragged as the Blues stepped up a gear in the second. Full marks for effort, only 6.5 for performance.

Matthew Taylor (off 78') - 7

Was one of the most threatening Bolton players - constantly finding space on the right and pumping in some great crosses. Dead ball delivery was spot-on as well.

Kevin Davies - 6.5

Troubled John Terry all night long with his famed aerial prowess. Held the ball superbly for Johan Elmander. His passing was not great though.

Johan Elmander - 8

Was a massive headache for Branislav Ivanovic and John Terry throughout the game.

Subs

Ivan Klasnic (off 72') - n.a

Martin Petrov (off 78') - n.a

Mark Davies (on 82') - n.a