Bellazon

Does this forum make you want to be a model?

Expresso

Hey everyone,

With all the Victoria's secret pics coming out and new faces everywhere, did it ever make you itch to become a model yourself? Share your experiences! :flower:

As for me, I once got spotted by an agent when I was 17, but back then my sister was dealing with an eating disorder and I was slim, but not thin enough to be a successful fashion model (5'10 ft, 125 lbs). My mom wouldn't have it either and reading of all the culprits eventually scared me off. Instead I chose to pursue my studies and just graduated from Uni. I'm 22 now, way too old. But sometimes I can't help but thinking "what if?" I know it's wishful thinking, because I'm not nearly as pretty as the successful ones out there, but do you ever catch yourself thinking it?

A friend of mine modeled for five years and was signed with the prestigious group Elite model management. She's a student at college now and while modeling she greatly expanded her social network and met many artistic, interesting, wealthy, and powerful people. She got to travel a lot. It was a good experience for her though people tend to handle it their own way.

As for myself, I think it would be a good experience but I am wary of the psychological risks. I'm afraid that I'd become too narcissistic and decadent.

As for myself, I think it would be a good experience but I am wary of the psychological risks. I'm afraid that I'd become too narcissistic and decadent.

Good point. I've worried about that too. It would be very easy to become superficial and egocentric in that world. Sure, there are probably a couple of models who had securely established personalities and were very grounded when they start out and keep their feet on the ground, but for every one of those there are a dozen who do let themselves get sucked in. And I can't say I'm immune to the kind of pressure some of these girls face.

Expresso-I think Anna Selezneva started at 22 or 23, so I wouldn't say it's too late ;) well, I guess debuting in your 20s may be more difficult than when you're 16 but, let's say, psychologically it's better-I mean, you are more conscious of yourself and less naive at 22 compared to when you were 15 :)

No, and it depends on what type of model. I love lingerie models. I like curvier figures. Runway models are way too thin, IMO, and I do not find them very attractive.

but not thin enough to be a successful fashion model (5'10 ft, 125 lbs).

5'10 and 125 pounds is clearly thin and is considered in the underweight range for that height. But still that's too "fat" for the fashion industry :cain:

Good point. I've worried about that too. It would be very easy to become superficial and egocentric in that world. Sure, there are probably a couple of models who had securely established personalities and were very grounded when they start out and keep their feet on the ground, but for every one of those there are a dozen who do let themselves get sucked in. And I can't say I'm immune to the kind of pressure some of these girls face.

I think people in general are at their most impressionable circa 17-25 as the mind kind of anchors heavily on external influences. So what fundamental habits of thought, emotional character, and preferences are built up and what is learned during this period is kind of subconsciously fused more (and much harder to unlearn). Thus I believe that this is a critical period of time. I think it's important to live and experience life with the long term always in mind & in this way a series of intense influences that may modify one's future mental state in unforeseen ways should be managed in an informed and careful way.

I believe living the life of a top high fashion model for ie. ten years 17-27 can raise the possibly of skewing one's perception of reality in unsustainable ways (from the lifetime perspective).

Two of my friend's agency girlfriends got a bit weird. I like weird, I like creative, I like brilliant, I like entertaining but I think they formed some more eccentric habits, patterns of thinking, and expectations.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...