Bellazon

Adrien Sahores
Thumbnail

Meet the New Guy: Adrien Sahores Has Wooed YSL, Prada, and Lanvin

Most rookie models wait several seasons for a breakthrough. But success came in an instant to French model Adrien Sahores: He was just shopping in Paris last year, minding his own business, when a Ford Europe rep saw him and signed him on the spot. A few days later, Sahores opened for Lanvin's spring 2010 show, which led directly to a fall Lanvin campaign. Between seasons, the 20-year-old model also shot editorials for all the major men's fashion mags (AnOther Man, 10 Men, L'Officiel Hommes, etc.). While Sahores's debut was undoubtedly strong, it's everything else he did thereafter that really solidifies his rising stardom: He's appeared in Prada's short film First Spring, directed by Yang Fudong; walked runways for Jil Sander, Burberry, and Dior Homme; and starred in the fall campaign for Yves Saint Laurent. Click ahead to read a brief Q&A with Sahores, and then visit his new model profile to see loads of on- and off-the-runway pics.

Tell us a little about your childhood.

I was born in Paris, followed by my two little brothers. When I was 5, we moved to Italy, in Ravenna, because of my dad. Four years later, we moved again to South of France, then finally back to Paris. It's now twelve years since I moved here. I'm very happy. Regarding my hobbies, I was always hanging out with kids of my age: We love to play football (soccer), basketball, and play video games. I also played roller hockey for seven years.

What's been your most memorable campaign or editorial, to date?

Shooting the Prada campaign in Shanghai was exceptional. It was my first time in Asia. The shoot was crazy because we stayed in a kind of movie city ��" a place that looks like a city, but only for movies. We worked there for five days, with like 30 figurants, all dressed typically. The team was really professional; they didn't sleep during the five days. We had to walk in the air, things like this. It was really funny. The Lanvin campaign was great, too. The shoot happened in the famous Ritz Hotel in Paris during a fashion party. It's a great souvenir for me because it was my first campaign, my first money job, and it was my birthday! A birthday at the Ritz ��" it's nice.

You're also a runway fixture. What's the craziest thing you've ever seen backstage?

A lot of things go on backstage. I have great times with models. When you wait four hours to do the show, you always find stupid things to do, but what happens backstage stays backstage. Personally, the most exciting thing I did backstage was to talk with French football player Claude Makelele.

You've been the face of Prada, Yves Saint Laurent, and Lanvin. What next?

In this job, you can't really predict what happens next. It depends who needs you, but I hope I could carry on doing runways, some more campaigns, and then move on to other kind of jobs. I also have to finish my business studies. For now, I just enjoy the things I do.

Are male models ever competitive and catty?

I don't think so. To be honest, most of the current male models never thought that one day they would be modeling. It's not something they have dreamed about since they were 6 years old, so they take this job more like an opportunity, an occasion to make some money while having fun and doing great events. It's very different for women.

If you weren't modeling, what would you be doing?

First of all, but only in my dreams, I wish I could play professional soccer, like a lot of French kids. If not modeling, I would love to run a restaurant or a hotel, or organize events. I know I could be good at it because I really like when you receive clients and all the customer service. Everything must be perfect.

What is the hardest thing about modeling?

It's very difficult because the "success" doesn't depend on you and your capacities, but from what fashion needs. If brands are bored of you, bye-bye, my friend! I think the most difficult thing is to keep working for a long time.

Lastly, got any favorite bands, artists, books, foods, etc., you think we should check out?

I'm a big fan of hip-hop, funk, soul, house, and flamenco. Artists like A Tribe Called Quest, Biggie Smalls, DJ Quik, Kelly Patterson, Donna Summer, Saint Germain, Groove Armada, BlackJoy, Paco de Lucia, and some French hip-hop bands like NTM, IAM Oxmo Puccino. I love Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino's movies, like The Godfather, Heat, Once Upon a Time in America, and Mean Streets. I'm actually reading Gomorrah, an Italian book about Naples. I love to eat in Italy ��" it's definitely the best food ever. And thanks to my girlfriend, Sandra, I have tried Mexican food, which tastes so good. And of course I love my mom's French food.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...