Bellazon

Heidi Klum

Guest MissIsabella

My translation of an interview in German from

http://www.weltwoche.ch/artikel/?AssetID=1...p;CategoryID=79

"I believe in taking good care of my face"

by Marc Kayser

Heidi Klum concerns herself intensively about her family and cordially little about her wrinkles. She explains how she raises her children, why nature is so fantastic, Switzerland is so great and her life is so full of good fortune.

Heidi Klum, you just had your third child. Did you want to know this time whether it would be a boy or girl?

Now, with Johan, we let ourselves be surprised for the first time.

Are pregnancies not a career killer, especially in your profession?

Clearly, with each birth, I lose my so-called ideal weight. Yet that does not bother me. I love children. To become a mother, one must gladly make a compromise. One should like the side effects of a pregnancy and not look at them as negative.

Do you breast-feed?

Yes, of course.

Your breasts - one of your trademarks - could change through it.

Before [i started breast-feeding] I had no anxiety at all. There are so many women that would gladly do it, but they have no milk. I look at breast-feeding as a miracle. You get your child and only a day later the milk comes out. Nature is fantastic.

That all sounds great. Do you actually cook for yourself?

Either I or my husband Seal does. Yesterday there was flounder. A marvelously uncomplicated fish. Simply put it in the oven or on the grill. With it, a beautiful, large salad with fennel, celery stalks and colorful chilli peppers. My children and my husband went crazy for that.

Does each one eat what they want?

No, at home everyone eats what is put on the table.

And abroad?

Sushi, miso soup with algae, what the children want to try, we do not forbid them as long as it is natural and good for them.

You work around the world. Do you take your children with you everywhere?

Actually, I already have. When I add it all up, how many days I have been without my children, I come up with only two weeks a year. And Leni is almost three years old.

Do you have no anxieties that the little ones are noticeably unpleasant?

It's all a matter of habit. I want my children to share in Seal's and my lifestyle. So that from this travel they don't turn out to be different, we have started early so they will always grow together.

Where does that come from [the desire for them] "not to be different"?

To be sure, children have the right to not behave like grown-ups. My motto is tolerance, not pedagogy. But I have presented [my lifestyle] already. Above all with manners: children don't learn to say thanks on their own. Sometimes it's like talking to a wall. What mother doesn't know that?

Who is more strict, Seal or you?

In order to not fall into that word, we mutually discuss it beforehand. It naturally has already happened, that the little ones wanted to play us against each other.

When you first met your husband, you did not know if he would be a good father.

That's right. One gets at the beginning no guarantee for it, whether the other has the same attitudes about life, or thinks the same way about raising children. My husband is an absolute windfall. He has manners, he is a gentleman, and does everything for his kids.

Is that sexy?

Seal is an attractive man, who has a strong, magnetic effect on me. He is tall, has a terrific figure, is very charming, has the fine English qualities, good manners and he speaks like a poet.

Wherein does the most fundamental agreement between you exist?

We both wanted a family, but also to have our own lives, hobbies and jobs. I as a model, he as a musician. We both wanted to remain ourselves, despite our children, and further pursue our own interests.

The traditional model...

...you mean the woman belongs at the stove, looking after the children while the husband brings the money home? That is not our starting point.

Who looks after the children?

We alternate. Sometimes Seal goes with Leni to school or dance lessons, sometimes I go. One of us is always there.

No nannies?

We have two. One German, one Spanish. We could also go without help, but it would be more difficult, we would not able to run our lives as we did before.

What should couples do, if they can't afford that kind of care?

With people that don't want nannies or have no money for it, it is probably more difficult to not live in distinct roles.

Where lies the roots of your love for your family?

With my own family. My father Gunther and my mother Erna always imparted a strong sense of belonging. I do not remember feeling lonely within my family. We are also today very much together, travelling jointly on vacations. It is not in vain that my father manages my appointments for commercials and the press. He is really quite clever.

You continue to give the love that you have received.

That's where it all begins. Only then can one continue to give love.

Do you exchange tender caresses in front of your children?

Of course, they should see how their parents behave with each other, touch each other and say "I love you" to each other.

What is with the values of the children? Are they innate or learned?

I know exactly that I have it in my hand, whether my children are haughty or envious, stingy or excessive. I observe the beginnings of that every day. If Leni tries to take away her brother Henry's toys, or Henry becomes jealous when Leni sits on Seal's lap... To teach them to share and to hold back the hot tempers and fury over an alleged preference - that is a daily chore. Since recently there are three of them: no-one takes first place.

How strongly do you supervise the children?

We already pay very close attention so that nothing bad happens to the little ones: we have installed barriers around the pool, covered all the electrical outlets, put a gate at the top of the stairs. The locks on the windows hang extra high. Even without that, we know not to leave any doors open. Because the house is large, we have motion sensors on the outside doors that say over a loudspeaker "The front door is open!" We had yellow trumpet flowers as big as trees. Very imposing, very beautiful, but unfortunately, very poisonous. I have dug them all up and replaced them with apple trees.

But, there are factors that cannot influence at once. The age...

If you are referring to wrinkles, I think they interest me less than they interest you.

No cucumber facials, no thoughts of a facelift, no critical looks in the mirror?

I have so many things on my daily calendar, that I don't time for that sort of vanity. I believe in taking good care of my face, good nutrition and having good humor.

In your occupation, one sells herself with the face and the body more than anything.

Who knows already how things go on in my interior? I am for many a single projection, a representation of a certain form of beauty. I see myself on the cover of a magazine at a newsstand and think "Wow! What a beautiful picture! That's me?" Hair and make-up can do much on days where things aren't going so good.

Does Heidi Klum lounge around the house the whole day in a bathrobe with tousled hair?

Sometimes I do. Our closest friends know that roasted pigeons do not fly right into our mouths. They grant us the beautiful family life. To them we are also extremely open, hanging out on the couch while the high heels lie in the corner. Sometimes, Seal comes out in his pyjamas despite the visitors.

Around what time do you go to bed?

That varies, but waking up is determined by the children. At that latest, by 7:00 there is no-one sleeping in the Klum and Samuel house. Then we make ourselves fried eggs or liver sausage on bread.

Do you sleep on the left or the right?

The right. The sides are equal if one sleeps on the back and the other on the belly, then we hit each other when we turn over. But at home, I prefer to sleep on the right, because it is closer to the bathroom.

Boris Becker reported being told to his face racist comments about his ex-wife Barbara. Have you experienced that with Seal?

There was some of that. Above all, the paparazzi wanted to provoke us. In their way of thinking, if they could run a picture with a reaction outside the normal, then they could make more money off it. Seal went off on them once, because a horde of photographers hurt my mother and my small son with a car. That photo made it around the world.

You are both often in Switzerland. How come?

It is clean and calm there, it is obvious the Swiss love their country.

Are you fortunate?

Hopefully, it doesn't sound strange, but often it is that we wake up in the morning and say, "Wow, we have a great life!" We have a crazy house, a beautiful Cabrio, always food to eat at the table, are healthy, are allowed to have children and can travel wherever we want. Good luck firmly made me with my unequivocally beautiful life.

Roasted Pigeons??? Liver Sausage on Bread?? Ewwww :yuckky:

Thanks Ez C

I think the "roasted pigeons" line is some kind of German slang phrase, but I'm not exactly sure what it means. My guess is that she's saying that not everything is easy. I was hoping there would be someone from Germany on here who could explain it. I'm pretty sure they don't actually eat pigeons.

They do eat liver sausage, though.