Bellazon

Best Browser

Neo52285

• 2 weeks later...

IE7 beta is out, and it pretty much sucks.

Deer Park Alpha 2 (next gen Firefox) is better, and it's still only in Alpha!

IE7 has't fixed CSS rendering bugs, and after 5 years finally supports alpha transparency in .PNGs.

I saw some stats a few threads ago. 20% Firefox is higher than global average, so this is a relatively tech savvy board (as well as all the alternative browsers).

I've got IE, Avant, Opera, Mozilla and Firefox, and Firefox is my default.

Gonna start a Firefox thread with hints and tips...

Opera 8.2 is fast, especially compared to a fully-modded Firefox. Still not my default, but I could get rid of ads for free, it would be a damn sight closer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when you figure out how to get rid of those ads.....let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I've done some semi-extensive browser testing - IE, Firefox and Opera. All using the latest stable release, so no IE7 Beta2, no Deer Park (Firefox 1.5) and no Merlin (Opera 9).

In summary: Firefox. Just. Literally just because it's slightly better for what I want.

IE: it sucks, accept it, move on. ActiveX is unsafe, it renders pages wrong, no tabs. To those of you talking about coloured scroll bars - that's IE propietary code. Bad bad bad. To those of you who say other browsers "break" the pages you visit - that's because they were coded with IE in mind, using the wrong box model and stupid CSS. Just...ditch IE6. IE7 Beta has fixed most of the problems, so next year will be interesting as far as browser wars are concerned. Best thing is, now they're all reading off the same sheet as to how to render HTML elements, so now the winner will be the one with the best functionality. But for now, ditch IE.

Opera: Awesomeness. Now it's free, it's amazing. Downside is that all of the more powerful tweaks that users such as the clever lot on Bellazon like are hidden away. First thing you'll hate is the way ctrl+t is "Add Bookmark" rather than "New Tab". This can easily be changed. Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Shortcuts. Go to the Keyboard Setup section, and either edit Opera Standard, or duplicate it, rename it, then edit it. I changed ctrl+T to be a new tab, ctrl+B to be a new Bookmark, and ctrl+N to be a new page. Also, in Preferences > Advanced, go to History and change Check Documents to always. It means Opera always loads the latest version of a page - it's default setting loads from the cache, so for frequently update pages, it misses things. Customise your toolbar setup as well - I suggest that you make Page bar show "Only When Needed". Experiment with sessions and panels as well. Opera, on the whole, is actually a tad faster that Firefox, and on average I've found uses less RAM - your mileage may vary depending on your setup. Opera also feels more polished than Firefox, maybe because it was originally intended to be sold.

Firefox: Just wins out due to extensions. Go over to the Firefox thread to see some of the best tips and tweaks, but basically the fact that Opera used to be expensive rather than free gave FF an advantage. Hopefully Firefox 1.5 and 2 will build on what they've done so far. Extensions are the only noticeable advantage Firefox has - overall, there's not much to choose between Firefox and Opera in terms of out-of-the-box, but once you start customising...I know I've hyped Opera just now, but that's because it's underrated and a great program. You all know how great Firefox is, I just wanted a more objective look. It wins, just, so hopefully the competition will make it better than ever.

Mozilla: Firefox is better. Uses the same rendering engine (Gecko), so pages will look the same. Firefox is smaller, prettier, easier and more customisable. The Mozilla Suite is all bloat - better to get Firefox and Thunderbird and a few choice extensions. I didn't spend time with it like I did the others because I've used it before, and know it's not as goot. Look, here's how it went. Netscape gave out its source code for free. Mozilla was built. It was good. Then they made a new build of it called Firefox (originally called Phoenix, then Firebird), and it was, and still is, better.

Avant, Maxthon, Netscape etc - sorry, I have these but haven't really had time (or the inclination) to test them much.

• 1 month later...

I actually prefer the feel of Safari, but unfortunately, just a few of the forum features I need here and other places don't work on it, which is really a pain. For instance, it won't let me select text and then click the italic button to change things.

I just downloaded a Safari theme for Firefox 1.5. It's pretty nice, but only the Toolbar has the Safari look; none of the other icons (e.g. "Post Reply") have the sleek Safari look.

I'm happy with it. The bar and tabs are smaller, so more of the page is devoted to pictures. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...