Bellazon

What does "supermodel" mean to you and who is one?

sweetandlow

I think Miranda Kerr could be the next Supermodel if she keeps going strong as she has been...I can't even remember the last time I saw a model go so quickly from modeling for Cleo magazine to landing a Vogue Italia cover,Prada campaign and working with Steven Meisel all while being a VS angel at the same time...

Yes exactly. That is why I see her at a different level. She also has a book out and her own skin care line. She is doing things and using her name as a brand. It might not be heaps compared to other models. But she is still working it :)

And do not get me started on the Actresses and Celebs getting everything. I appreciate it here and there but why do they have to be in everything now. I just don't get it. This is why there are no supermodels. Because all the major work is going to celebs. Look at Vogue US. Was Gisele the last model to get a cover on her own? If they put models on the cover they are only in group shots. Compared to before when models would be on every cover.

It's kind of why I appreciate the Vogue Italy and Paris more because they still have models on the covers a lot of the time. And companies like VS and Maybeline. They use models only.

I had that respect for SI until they gave Beyonce the cover that year and started doing Sports Wives.

Miranda is famous because she's orlando's wife. not cause of her modelling work.

and if you mention her name to anybody they won't know who you are talking about.

I agree with Silhouette. None of modern-day models have reached, say, Cindy Crawford's status in terms of fame and public recognition. I think Gisele is the closest to do so - she certainly makes as much money (if not more) as Cindy or Claudia, but she's not as well known.

I agree, times have changed and I think that the world of fashion modelling has become less and less intertwined with mainstream culture. It's a closed circle nowadays. Only people with at least hazy knowledge of the business can name Gisele, Adriana Lima, Doutzen or Anja Rubik.

If we want supermodels back, we need them on the TV - in commercial spots, variety shows, interviews etc. They should participate in all major public events, and not only spend their time on the catwalks, doing photoshoots for fashion magazines and so on.

Miranda is famous because she's orlando's wife. not cause of her modelling work.

and if you mention her name to anybody they won't know who you are talking about.

^I think Mr & Mrs Kerr might be aware of her... :whistle:

Anyway, Kevork89 is Australian (I think?) so he knows of what he speaks. Of course she's going to be more well known in her home country, and irrespective of Orlando Bloom. This is an international forum - so it's bound to throw up such discrepancies...

If we want supermodels back, we need them on the TV - in commercial spots, variety shows, interviews etc. They should participate in all major public events, and not only spend their time on the catwalks, doing photoshoots for fashion magazines and so on.

I just think supermodels were a perfect concept for that time - late 80s - but since then both the fashion industry and the mainstream have changed so significantly that it's unlikely to happen again. We should also not underestimate the fact that, besides the climate being perfect for it to happen at the time, we were also blessed with a crop of models who had the perfect blend of sexiness, mystique and class to catch the imagination of the public.

I think Miranda Kerr could be the next Supermodel if she keeps going strong as she has been...I can't even remember the last time I saw a model go so quickly from modeling for Cleo magazine to landing a Vogue Italia cover,Prada campaign and working with Steven Meisel all while being a VS angel at the same time...

Yes exactly. That is why I see her at a different level. She also has a book out and her own skin care line. She is doing things and using her name as a brand. It might not be heaps compared to other models. But she is still working it :)

And do not get me started on the Actresses and Celebs getting everything. I appreciate it here and there but why do they have to be in everything now. I just don't get it. This is why there are no supermodels. Because all the major work is going to celebs. Look at Vogue US. Was Gisele the last model to get a cover on her own? If they put models on the cover they are only in group shots. Compared to before when models would be on every cover.

It's kind of why I appreciate the Vogue Italy and Paris more because they still have models on the covers a lot of the time. And companies like VS and Maybeline. They use models only.

I had that respect for SI until they gave Beyonce the cover that year and started doing Sports Wives.

Like I said, its not just "fame" that makes me consider a model a Supermodel. There are other aspects of Supermodeling lol. Fame is just one area IMO. I dont care how she gets famous (lets face it being the nice shy timid one will never get you so. there were plenty of nice pretty shy models in the 90s and we never hear of them now....we hear about the iconic ones who went beyond modeling....) so as long as her name (or any other models) name is getting out there someway,somehow, I don't care.. its a good start...I'm sure Richard Gere and his marriage to Cindy Crawford once upon a time even helped raise Cindy's profile/celebrity too. that's not the point for me and sorry but if Orlando is getting Miranda all these jobs and fame, what about Bar? she dates Leo..where is her Vogue Italia cover and Prada campaign?

the she dates a celeb thing, is a cheap shot to me, sorry. Almost every model (well at least the iconic ones) have dated,married, or had children with a celeb too, at some point lol.

on a side note: Orlando isn't even that famous. I hear more about Miranda these last few years than I have about him, lol.

on a side note: Orlando isn't even that famous. I hear more about Miranda these last few years than I have about him, lol.

Even though he's not "that" famous as you say, I'd wager that quite a few more people would know the guy who played Legolas in one of the most popular movie franchises in cinematic history than some random VS model. That's not a knock on Miranda, it's just the reality of the difference in mainstream appeal between cinema and fashion.

^I think Mr & Mrs Kerr might be aware of her... :whistle:

Anyway, Kevork89 is Australian (I think?) so he knows of what he speaks. Of course she's going to be more well known in her home country, and irrespective of Orlando Bloom. This is an international forum - so it's bound to throw up such discrepancies...

Haha thanks Baron. I am more biased towards her for that reason also. Just as I am for girls like Catherine, Abbey etc. We love girls who come from our homes more and wish them more luck in their careers. In terms of here in Aus she is a major supermodel. Everyone knows who she is. But i'm sure she has built up a fan base internationaly also.

The world needs more supermodels.

Apparently, it doesn't. Otherwise they would still exist. ;)

The sad reality is that they've been replaced by people like Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian...

They need them, but they've had the wool pulled over their eyes. haha

wouldn't it be great???? It really would. I love the whole supermodel era. It's like the Old Hollywood era of movie stars who got dressed up and went to supper clubs and really looked like something special and were something special like you see in the old movies and newsreels.

As far as the celebrities on the front of fashion magazines rather than models, don't EVEN get me started on that one. :p It irritates me no end. I wanna' see a total fashion mag, with fashion models, not the same stuff I'd see people I'd see in the tabloids.

I totally agree. I

• 5 years later...

When a model became a supermodel you could find her face and see her name in the daily newspaper, see her givin an interview on tv, making commercials for brands that are not about clothes or cosmetiques like Pepsi, Mercedez Benz. To become that big a model needs to stay in the fashion business for many years doing the most prestigious magazine covers, fashion shows, adverts. A supermodel is a model who gain fame outside the fashion industry. Back in the 80s/90s as nowadays to be girlfriend of a huge celebrity singer, actor was a short way to be in the spotlight. Axl Rose/Stephanie Seymour , Claudia Schiffer/David Copperfield , Helena Christensen/ Michael Hutchence ,  Gisele/Di Caprio/ and others...

I do think that the term of supermodel is more of an era thing. Back in the 80s/90s, Hollywood wasn't as star obsessed as it is today. So many models were the ones getting the contracts for brands, photoshoots and magazine covers. And it sold because they looked normal, they looked tall but not too lanky looking or too skinny or too fat. But then in the late 90s and early 2000s, reality tv and star life became what Hollywood wanted to fawn over. 

People didn't give a flying shit about fashion no more than that. They wanted to know which actress was dating who, who was preggers and who was washed up. They didn't have time to care about silly models who began looking skinny, boy like bodies and androgynous.

Imo, they're will never be a replica of the original supermodels or what is seen as the era of supermodels (the late 80s/90s big names). As Hollywood and the media just doesn't care to much about fashion. It's only a small circle of fans that models appeal to. Not your everyday average joe, who more than likely will love or like the acting works of say, Jennifer Lawrence. 

But, if we do use the term supermodel as a model who can break both mainstream and hf, and still stay in the public eye, then Gisele is one to beat. But even then I'm doubtful of her star power. Truth is, as I said above, the original supermodel era is dead. No model, not even Gisele will ever replicate completely the success of those from the 90s. I do think though, a new trend is happening. The social media model movement. Afterall, as fashion is a close knit circle, how else will they still relevant unless you know them on instagram or twitter or tumblr?