Bellazon

Do You Believe?

Zara

• 3 weeks later...

Yes.  It does way more good than harm for society, and it's laughable to me that anyone thinks it doesn't.  

Institutionalized religion is essentially a group exercise class for people who want an outlet for morality/philosophy - having traditions and rituals you share with others is an effective way to make spirituality a part of your life.  Similarly, people who want to get in shape join group exercise classes - it makes exercise a part of their lives.

Do you believe millennials are self-centered?

No, I don't believe in either.

Do you believe in fate?

-----

Yes.  It does way more good than harm for society, and it's laughable to me that anyone thinks it doesn't.  

Institutionalized religion is essentially a group exercise class for people who want an outlet for morality/philosophy - having traditions and rituals you share with others is an effective way to make spirituality a part of your life.  Similarly, people who want to get in shape join group exercise classes - it makes exercise a part of their lives.

I fail to see how thinking otherwise could be laughable. Specially when considering all the damage different churches and other forms of institutionalized religion has done throughout history, and not only in the western world, but whatever faith it is.

That's not implying it's all negative. Religion has indeed done some great things for mankind, but to say that is overwhelmingly more than the damage and divisions it has caused can't be that easy.

What you're referring to there is religion as a concept/manifestation of beliefs. Not it's institutionalization, with it's hierarchy, structures of power and dogmatic ways of thought. And the accumulation of wealth that comes with it.

Yes, I believe in fate.

Agree to disagree, Storm.  I take a more big picture approach to things, and when you consider the amazingly positive effect religion has on individuals' morality...their desire to develop charity and help others...etc., it's overwhelmingly positive. I really think people take this for granted, instead choosing to focus on very miniscule aspects of religion such as the opposition of many religions to gay marriage (which is not a major tenet of many, if any, by any means).  And by institutionalized religion, I mean organized religion.  Certain religions, particularly in recent years, have caused many problems with their dogma generally and its subsequent effect on governments, but in the US the effect of organized religion has been quite positive.

Do you believe it is better to be an introvert or an extrovert?