Bellazon

Mad Men

AnaBBarrosFan

Season 7 Promo Poster:

“There is a dreamlike quality to it, and believe it or not, it is related to the show, and not because it’s psychedelic,” said [Mad Men showrunner Matthew] Weiner, dressed appropriately for the period, with a buttoned-up suit vest but also a bright pink patterned tie. “That’s not what it’s about. What it’s about is the material and the immaterial world, and that’s what I loved.”

Did the imagery hold any clues to the season, beyond Don Draper’s affection for women and drink? Mr. Weiner, known for being unforthcoming with plot details, said, “This is related to the late ’60s, which is all I will say about it.” He added, “It maintains the idea that this is somehow going on in Don Draper’s mind, which is what the story is always about — and what the back of his head is about, on some level.”

nytimes.com

mad-men-650x946.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd imagine there'd be much better options for a gay guy in Manhattan than Pete, even in the sixties. :laugh:

Alpha male Don is no more. I really thought he had a plan when he returned to the SCDP (if that's still what it's called) office, but he came across as little more than a meek shadow of his former self. Perhaps he'll rise again later. Also, I love Roger's conflict of becoming a hippy 'sympathiser' while also trying to remain a company man and a father.

Disappointed that the final season is being stretched over such a length of time though, it's going to be at least another year before a lot of this stuff is resolved. :(

It seems to me that there's less interaction going on between the central characters these days, probably as a result of all the coastal hopping. Hopefully, Don going back to work will centralise everything a bit more, in keeping with the show's usual consistent, slow build-ups at the beginning of each season, and acceleration towards the end.

Poor old Ginsberg, I knew his instability had been hinted at previously, but I wasn't expecting that. I fear that'll be the last we see of him. Terribly poignant too when Freddie pointed out to Don that the other partners wanted him to kill himself, especially after giving him Lane's old office. :(

Does anyone else think that the hints about the Manson murders are nothing more than red herrings? I mean, the show has always been so faithful in referencing current events (that is to say, the events of the time), it'd be tremendously weird if they suddenly started altering real-life incidents for storyline purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else think that the hints about the Manson murders are nothing more than red herrings? I mean, the show has always been so faithful in referencing current events (that is to say, the events of the time), it'd be tremendously weird if they suddenly started altering real-life incidents for storyline purposes.

Agreed. I think people went wild with the Sharon Tate comparisons. I think they were done purposefully, but not necessarily to imply that Megan would be brutally murdered. There are a million other reasons to compare the two than just straight-up hinting at a huge (and imo weird, not-good) plot point. 

Poor Don... bittersweet victory.

• 4 weeks later...

Really good ending I thought, just a shame that we'll have to wait so damn long for the final episodes. I shed a tear for old Bert, he was a marvellous character and he went out in style. The breakdown of Don and Megan's marriage, done over the phone and mostly in silent pauses, was a magnificent piece of writing.

Really good ending I thought, just a shame that we'll have to wait so damn long for the final episodes. I shed a tear for old Bert, he was a marvellous character and he went out in style. The breakdown of Don and Megan's marriage, done over the phone and mostly in silent pauses, was a magnificent piece of writing.

That musical bit with Bert really was surreal, but done in such a way that only Mad Men could so that it actually made narrative and thematic sense. Really interesting mid-season finale (and ugh do they really need to break up a season into two 7-episode halves?)

That musical bit with Bert really was surreal, but done in such a way that only Mad Men could so that it actually made narrative and thematic sense. Really interesting mid-season finale (and ugh do they really need to break up a season into two 7-episode halves?)

Yes, I hate it, that it was only 7 episodes. It wasn't enough! I was waiting for new ones, and then realized that I have to wait for months!! 

Bert's death was really surprising, in a sad way. 

And I hope they won't kill Megan.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...