Bellazon

The Walking Dead

Prettyphile

The Walking Dead' Ratings on the Rise

The Walking Dead aired its third episode last night, pulling in a very healthy 5.1 million viewers. It was a great episode with more solid acting!

The ratings are up from last week, which raked in 4.7 million viwers.

AMC’s new zombie drama has already being renewed for a 13-episode second season. Only three more episodes of the first season, don’t miss them!

I'm all for this. Aside form the first two episodes, I don't think this show is that great. I like the FX and the fact that it's a competent, but I just think the execution is shitty. There's just so many moments where my friends and I find ourselves ad-libbing the characters and not taking the show seriously at all. And it's not even the characters that bother me. Of course there's going to be douchers, whiners and assholes. I just don't buy their peril at all - after episodes one and two, anyway. Okay well, the original point of my post, I'm confident that new writers will be able to steer this show back in the right direction. While I don't think it's a great show, I still thinks it's solid and entertaining. But compared to other AMC shows (okay, okay, I admit...just compared to Breaking Bad) it's just average.

Less sentimental bullshit next time round, please. It is possible to draw proper character development without resorting to cliched heart-string pulling. There are way too many "Hallmark moments" that drag episodes to a standstill...

BD:

Deadline writes:

"I hear The Walking Dead writer/ executive producer/ director Frank Darabont has let go of the writers on the hot freshman AMC series, which has already renewed for a second season.

That includes Darabont's No.2, writing executive producer Charles “Chic” Eglee.

Writer turnover on series between seasons is commonplace but wholesale overhauls are unusual. What's more, I hear Darabont is looking to forgo having a writing staff for the second season of Walking Dead altogether and assign scripts to freelancers.

Darabont, who hails from the feature world with The Young Indiana Jones as the only series credit before Walking Dead, ended up writing 2 of the first season's 6 episodes of Walking Dead - the pilot and the second episode - and co-writing/rewriting the other 4. Two of those 4 were written by non-staff writers, one by executive producer Robert Kirkman, on whose comics the series is based, and one by Glen Mazzara.

The freelance model is employed by the Starz/BBC series Tourchwood, which in turn borrowed it from the U.K. where the show originated. Having BBC as producer has allowed Torchwood to proceed with no writing staff but I hear such a plan on an U.S.-based series such as Walking Dead may face issues with the Writers Guild. And, while the first season of Walking Dead was only 6 episodes, its second-season order is for 13, which may prove harder to manage in pre-production, production and post-production with no writing staff.

Sources tell me that no final decision has been made yet with all options open, including using some combination of a writing staff/freelances. There is time - AMC is mulling launching Walking Dead's second season the way it did the first one - in October during Fearfest."

8.1 Million People Watch 'The Walking Dead' Finale!

If this doesn't scream for more hardcore horror TV series, I don't what will. A record-setting series finale of The Walking Dead lifted the AMC series to the biggest average seasonal audience in the 18-49 demo of any drama in basic cable history. Sunday's final episode of the first season drew more than 6 million total viewers and 4 million in 18-49, boosting the series' 18-49 average over its six-episode run to 3.5 million. According to Nielsen, that's the best average of any basic cable drama going back to 1993. Repeat airings of the finale at 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. boosted the episode's total audience to 8.1 million. Last month, "The Walking Dead" was greenlit for a second season of 13 episodes. Between "Dexter," "True Blood" and "The Walking Dead", horror has taken over TV. Get ready for plenty more!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...