Bellazon

Andreja Pejic
Thumbnail

job

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Boy Wonder Featuring Andrej Pejic

By Emily Finkbinder

StyleCaster collaborator, James Worthington DeMolet, brings StyleCaster the exclusive release of Andrej Pejic in Boy Wonder. His first ever beauty focused editorial is complete with an eye-opening interview, providing Andrej's insight on being compared to Lea T, how he feels about labels and what it felt like to kiss Karolina Kurkova. In just a week's time, this breathtaking shoot, lensed by Thomas Lohr, will be available in the print version of The Block Magazine.

James Worthington DeMolet: How do you feel about such an immediate media storm around your rise to fame? Considering it has only been about two seasons and you're one of models.com's top 20 men.

Andrej Pejic: Well I think the media storm is very surprising since models don’t really get so much attention these days. So I guess it has gone beyond just the fashion industry or any model ranking, which is nice because it’s offering me a wide array of opportunities. But sometimes I do just have to stop and hit myself in the head with my diamond-encrusted vase.

JWD: Does being styled so often in such high-end women’s clothing make everyday getting ready boring?

AP: Yes it does, which is why I seek to one day own all these high-end clothes.

JWD: As a kid did you ever dress up?

AP: Oh all the time mostly as a female gypsy dancer.

JWD: For guys, it's much easier to understand how to "model," usually clients just want a cool languid dude and the clothes are generally trousers and tops. Do you find that modeling women’s clothes brings on more complications?

AP: Well, I think men’s editorial modeling is quite advanced and not so easy. Yes I think modeling women’s wear is more complicated, but I think I like that.

JWD: What was the best part about kissing Karolina Kurkova? Photographing a kiss can be difficult due to limited angles and often the faces get hidden. How many hours did it take to get it right?

AP: Oh literally the photographers just told us to turn to each other and lock lips and it took maybe 10 minutes to shoot. It’s like our lips were always meant to meet and then the photographers had to separate us!

JWD: What was your take on closing Jean Paul Gaultier's couture show – in the most incredible wedding look no less? Was that a milestone or just another day at the office?

AP: It was amazing – when I was walking down the runway people started clapping in a rhythm. Honestly, it was like a dream.

JWD: Finally, you and Lea T. have seemingly come up as the faces for this new take on androgyny. The label is applied quite loosely when used in describing both of you, no? Considering you're just a boy with an incredibly fascinating and versatile face, which brings an exciting edge to wearing women’s clothing, while she's actually going through the process of gender reassignment. Are you comfortable sharing "the face" of this movement with her when what it describes for each of you is quite different?

AP: Well I don’t think my situation and Lea T's are completely different when it comes to our personal lives but that’s personal, for me at least. And I really think people should stop trying to categorize me because of their need for labels. When it comes to our professional lives, well she only does women’s wear and I think I cover more fields. Some people in the industry will use us in a very similar way to represent similar ideas and some will want me to be a bit different from her – more androgynous, more boyish or even sex-less rather than womanly. I think professionally I am capable of being very versatile.

"Guess who I am under the dress"

Andrej Pejic for Vanity Fair Italy (issue #12, 03.30.2011)

Look at the pictures: Do you believe us if we told you

that this model is called Andrej Pejic and he's a man?

And it's not the only thing that will surprise you.

Wait to know, for example, about his diet.

By Carla Bardelli

Pics: Julian Hargreaves

A living mystery, that not even (he? her?) knows how to reveal, shake the world of the Parisian fashion.

A creature with pale skin, with a hint of breast, delicate features and male's name, has created astonishment when he appeared, dress like a bride, at Jean-Paul Gaultier's fashion show few weeks ago. Meanwhile, in other catwalks, he walk for menswear.

"The most beautiful bride i ever seen" has said his mother on YouTube. "As a child he used my make up, he wore my heels. I had never imagined that he would do so much career."

You see Andrej Pejic in a Parisian photo studio and you start to feel a morbid curiosity. But Andrej is impenetrable. He change clothes behind a mirror, he avoids the intimacy that is created on the set.

When the lunch break arrived, he came close. "Let's do the interview while eating, i'm starving. I want some pasta."

Having been born in Bosnia, and grew up in Melbourne, he can not know that what they bring us - overcooked spaghetti

floating in a sea of cream with smoked salmon that tastes like salt cod - is a terrible thing.

"Very Good" say Andrej. "I would come in Milan for two things: Dolce & Gabbana and the food."

How can you be so ethereal, eating pasta like this?

"I do sport."

Why do you think that your character is so fascinating?

"We live in a boring era, people have no desire to experiment. Maybe I break the mold. I'm different and I am committed to

cutivating my uniqueness, since i was lucky to enter in a world that gave me the right tools to transform myself."

Androgynous, transsexual: these are terms that often occur when it comes to Andrej Pejic. And you, how would you define yourself?

"If we talk about sexual orientation, i'll say that love has no boundaries. Actually I'm single: I think I'm not particularly attracted by sex, even if i believe in feelings. Instead, if we talk about gender, i'm very comfortable with the ambiguity that i'm representing. I realize that

I'm really feminine, not only in my aspect, but in my way of being too.

Can you tell me your life?

"I was born in Bosnia, 2 months before the war has started, from a croatian father and a bosnian mother. When i was 8 i left, with my brother, my mother and my grandmother, for the Australia. My father has never join us here. Now he live in Croatia. He was an economist, now he's unemployed from years. Mom was an advocate but, in Melbourne, she has become and High School Teacher."

She was never being opposed to your desire to express yourself in such original way?

"Mom is ahead: she loves her kids so much that she accept everything that them want or can be. Now is my passionate fan. Even my brother Igor, who is 21, heterosexual and studying Civil Engineering, is very supportive.

Who do you admire as a kid?

"David Bowie, Amanda Lear, Boy George, even Salvador Dalì, Madonna: were the 80s and the strangeness didn't make people raise an eyebrow lik now. "

Did the ambiguity always had been an inspiration for you?

"I think so, even if i wasn't conscious of that. When it came the adolescence i couldn't hide myself anymore, and my body wasn't helping: i never had pimples, my voice was still feminine, i liked to dress up and i started to bleach my hair."

And the beard? How did you make it disappear, like all of your body hair?

"I'm not against cosmetic surgery and the little tricks that womans use to improve their physical appearance."

You said you believe in love. Have you ever find it? Did you had partners?

"Yes, of course. But i'm not sure if i was in love. Being with someone is beautiful when you fully engage to it and i'm an autonomous person, someone that is not able to love completely."

Maybe you had a lover in high school?

"Yes, but don't ask me if it was a boy or a girl, because i've already say that, for me, love has no boundaries. And I've to confess that I really enjoy to raise all this interest, so i will not tell you which side i am. Even because, actually, i don't know it too."

• 2 weeks later...

:drool: :drool: OH MY GOD! I JUST MET ANDREJ!!!!!!!!!!! At 23rd and 8th here in Manhattan. I was walking out of a Whole Foods when I see this image. I knew it was him instantly. The light was red so I took my time looking at Andrej. He is flawless, much beautiful in person. The pictures don't do justice. In person he is BREATHTAKING!!! I felt like screaming "ANDREJ!!!!!" but I was so afraid. Oh i'm exhausted and so happy. The bizarre thing is that just before I left my house I said "Wouldn't it be cool to meet a model" and the I imagined meeting Andrej on the train or something. WOW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...