Bellazon

Christina Aguilera
Thumbnail

Nebucadnezar

I always find it funny how so many performers try to reinvent themselves to stay on top, yet the bands that have had the longest careers are usually the ones that stay true to their original "look". The Stones, Aerosmith, KISS, Madonna, hell even the 2agles; they've all stayed true to their music and kept the same image (more or less) for decades and are still some of the biggest names in music.

Bands like AC/DC and Motorhead have looked and sounded exactly the same for 30 years, too. They're one-trick ponies to a certain extent, but it's a unique trick that nobody else can do (or at least not as well). For as long as they're around, they'll have a piece of the market cornered. The average pop singer doesn't really have that luxury, and there's so much similar stuff around. Unless they constantly try to reinvent themselves, people get bored and move on.

• 2 weeks later...

She hasn't. And even still I like what she's doing lately. No matter what people say I can't not like Christina. People think she's a bitch, I think she seems sweet. Some think she oversings, I don't care because she has the chops for it. Some think she's got the most vulgar taste in clothes, sometimes I agree but it doesn't bother me. She's essentially our generation's Cher. So excited they're in a movie together, its gonna be fabulous.

But if it makes the people uspet with "Bionic" feel any better, she's going to abandon this look for something else with her next album. I guarentee it, she always promises something new. Back in 06 she said she wanted to do the reverse of "Back to Basics" which is "Bionic", in time she'll have a new motif going on.

PS: I don't see this as copying Gaga, its Christina being the best Cher/Madonna hybrid possible.

No. Compare the clothing, the music... It's all very similar. I'm not saying it's a bad thing - you need to know how to boost your popularity in the business, and one way of doing that is to draw influences from other successful artists at the moment. Madonna was surely the first female singer to introduce such a brash look, so Christina has obviously been influenced by her as well. But she's also inspired by Lady's style, at least I see it that way.