Sweet Lu

which is better: Star Wars or Star Trek  

17 members have voted

1. 1. which is better: Star Wars or Star Trek

• Star Wars
    • Star Trek

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Both Trek and Star Wars currently suck (mostly).

I have time for The Mandalorian, Rogue One and Solo in the Disney SW universe. The rest was mostly garbage.

I didn't care much for Discovery nor Picard. Really the only thing I enjoyed a bit were the Captain Pike episodes of Discovery. So I have a tiny bit of hope for that spin-off show.

For me, the worst parts of Solo are the pointless connections to the OT, although granted, I'm very much in the camp that prefers not to know where Yoda came from, or who made the Xenomorphs, or where Wolverine got his biker jacket.

In the case of Trek, I really only rate the original series and a few of the films. I haven't seen any of the recent spin-offs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 8:19 PM, Michael* said:

For me, the worst parts of Solo are the pointless connections to the OT, although granted, I'm very much in the camp that prefers not to know where Yoda came from, or who made the Xenomorphs, or where Wolverine got his biker jacket.

Agreed. We need mystery. Ending the mysteries is ending the magic and value of these characters.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:19 PM, Michael* said:

In the case of Trek, I really only rate the original series and a few of the films. I haven't seen any of the recent spin-offs.

Well, don't waste your time trying to watch them. They're mediocre. Alex Kurtzman is a bad storyteller. The only really good thing is the sountrack (Jeff Russo is a pure genius).

On 1/4/2021 at 10:11 PM, Stromboli1 said:

Disney Star Wars vs Kelvin Timeline Star Trek would be a great matchup what sucks worse cause they're no winners and the fans are the real losers. :rofl:

Now that there is the Mandalorian (and Jedi Fallen Order), we can say that Disney didn't mess up everything (even if the messed up most of what they did :laugh:)

23 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Agreed. We need mystery. Ending the mysteries is ending the magic and value of these characters.

Yeah, without wishing to derail too much from the topic, I think there's an unfortunate tendency to get bogged down, either in trying to explain away every plot point or beating you over the head with exposition. I know for me though, the appeal of most sci-fi is the way it captures the imagination. Surely that's half the fun of being a film fan.

23 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Well, don't waste your time trying to watch them. They're mediocre. Alex Kurtzman is a bad storyteller. The only really good thing is the sountrack (Jeff Russo is a pure genius).

I would even admit to finding The Next Generation somewhat underwhelming really, so the subsequent stuff would likely be a bit lost on me anyway. :laugh:

There are elements of TNG that I like and I enjoy some of the individual episodes, but as an ongoing thing it just never really made much of an impression on me. Not sure why.