Bellazon

Gemma Ward
Thumbnail

rosada

I am no scan god. There are hundreds of people out on the net better than me, but those people are usually twits who refuse to tell anyone how they clean up their images. Often, too, they use filters, which creates a smudged and slightly blurry look, which I find less than appealing.

SO, to help out, I decided to do a kind of mini tutorial, using the last image Lullaby postes of Gemma from the Harper's editorial. Thank you, Lullaby.

-Adjusted the curve to brighten the background

-used sharpen tool at 10% to sharpen up her facial features - just enough so she doesn't look blurred. little around the outside of her face and a few streaks in her hair

-duplicated brightened layer

-selected median filter, set it at 20

-put the layer on screen opacity, 100%

-erased down the middle of jenna with a size 17 soft brush at 90% then went back and did the edges at 50% with a 35 soft brush. Have to do the edges carefully, so that there doesn't appear to be much difference between the white surrounding her body and the white of the back ground

-made sure to note the shadow that was on the shoes and erase enough so, even though slight, it is visible. otherwise it would appear she is floating in limbo

-edited out text. use the healing brush, softened to your preference.

now for the dress...

-duplicated the layer beneath the screened layer

-took the brightness level down about 12

-erased all skin tone from this level at 100% with a soft brush

-also along the yellow frill at the bottom of her skirt, to make the material appear darker to the eye and leave detail

-erased a bit on the sweater to return some of its detail

-merged the 3 layers

-used the burn tool on 10 at shadows, soft brush. carefully darkened the peices of the skirt that looked bleached out

-used sharpen brush, 9 size, soft to sharpen the jewely and give it extra shine

-touched up along the face with the shadows brush at 5%

These do not necessarily need to be followed in this order. It depends on the image, and of course your visual preference. just a basic guideline of some of the tricks scanners use. My method is not perfect, and it probably isn't the best, but I thought I'd try and help my friends out some.

And that's it. Is it a perfect scan? No, but it's pretty good. Lullaby did a better job with the scan than she thought. *s*

nottouchedup2ga.th.jpg touchup3wd.th.jpg

BTW, I use Photoshop7. Just so you know.

Wow, Nine, now I know why your scans look good. I just scan the page and erase any dust, and that's about as much as I can do :lol:

Lullaby, a good "insiders" tip that I found works really well (and I wish someone would have told me back when I first started scanning... <_< ) is to have a dark piece of construction paper or something and put it over the back of the page in the scanner. You'll find that the image(s) or text on the other side won't "bleed" through and it makes for a much nicer-looking scan. :)

• 2 weeks later...