Bellazon

Rosemary Smith
Thumbnail

el jefe

Pre-RAFW interview - Rose Smith, next big face. By Sacha Strebe. Source : thevine.com.au

tfs

Fashion Week is the highlight of the year for our top Australian designers, but it is also an opportunity for our new and emerging models to gain valuable exposure and experience on the coveted catwalks.

It's a breeding ground for the aspiring and the up-and-coming to showcase their talents on their journey to becoming a runway regular.

Every year, as RAFW inches closer, whispers travel along PR corridors and rumours spread around the offices of our major glossies with just who will be this year's fashion darling, the new girl every major designer casts for their show.

One girl we know will be in the running is Rosemary Smith.

After featuring alongside ethereal look-a-like, Codie Young for Vogue Australia's October issue, Smith was shot in the New Vision, New Faces, New Fashion editorial with Ajak Deng for V Magazine, snared the Jigsaw and Country Road campaigns, and shot the lookbooks for Ksubi, Sass and Bide, Collette Dinnigan, Veronica Maine and Lisa Ho.

And if that wasn't enough, she flew back to New York to shoot for DKNY and Topshop, before making her international debut walking exclusively for Fendi in Milan, and Chanel in Paris.

Now she's gearing up for a hectic RAFW schedule where she has already opened Carla Zampatti, with a few more front slots booked in, she's already cast for Kirrily Johnston, Romance Was Born, Dion Lee and Josh Goot, before heading to Paris for a `job with a high-end label'.

Rose is certainly on our runway radar.

The past year has been hugely successful for your modelling career, appearing and being named as the face to watch in Vogue Australia and V Magazine, how do this title sit with you personally?

Shooting for Vogue Australia was a really great opportunity and also great for a model's career. I have been really lucky to work with them so much over the past year. Last November I spent a month in NYC and shot for V mag, I loved being in the city. Being named a face to watch makes me really excited and inspired to get back there!

Did you ever expect to become a successful model? How has modelling changed your life?

To become successful at anything you need to believe you can do it. I always try to think positively about everything in my life especially my career. Modeling has changed my life alot, I don't have to work 9-5 Monday to Friday, and I get to travel the world, also the opportunities I have ahead of me are amazing! Although I don’t get to see my family as much as I would like to now.

You are about to head into another Australian Fashion Week, what are you looking forward to most?

I am opening some shows throughout fashion week, I'm looking forward to this a lot! Plus, shows are always exciting and it's fun to see everybody.

You have featured in numerous Australian designer lookbooks including Ksubi and the Jigsaw campaign, what has been some of your favourite brands to shoot so far?

I really enjoyed shooting Sass and Bide and Ksubi, both were really laid-back shoots and we had a lot of fun! It's always fun to shoot with a team you know really well, so most shoots are alot of fun as you usually know everyone there.

Does it ever become competitive between models for fashion shows at RAFW? Or is it all one big supportive family?

Like any industry there are alot of different personalities, so yes there are probably some girls who are competitive. All the models I know, and have met, are really friendly and supportive of each other. I think most girls realise there are opportunities out there for everyone, so there's no point being negative.

Who are some of the new girls coming through that you think we'll be seeing more of after RAFW?

I'm not sure... I know there are a lot of great new girls this RAFW, but I haven't had the chance to meet any yet. Bridget Malcolm who has been working in NYC for the past year is back again for this years RAFW so I think we will be seeing her in a lot of shows!

Are there plans to send you overseas? Or are you happy building your resume here first?

I'm waiting for my American visa to be approved, and I'll be moving to NYC as soon as it is. In the mean time I am going to Paris to shoot editorial. I'm definitely ready to make the move but I will still fly back to work in Australia when I can.

When you're not modelling what are you doing? What would you be doing as a profession if modelling wasn't an option?

When I'm not modeling, I am at home. I am a homebody, I love cooking. When I have enough time off I'll go back to W.A to see my family. If I wasn't a model I don't know what I would be doing. I can't imagine doing anything else right now, perhaps I would own a dog and a cat though.

Who are some of the most inspiring people in the industry that compel you to continue on your modelling career? Are they other models, designers, photographers or stylists?

I guess international models' careers would be most inspiring to me, and I'm always interested to see who's shooting editorials and campaigns. I follow a lot of models' careers and it's really motivating to see girls you've been following start shooting for great magazines and labels. Newer girls like Arizona Muse, Lindsey Wixon, Daphne and Bambi have all done so well recently and it's inspiring to see.

Are there any jobs coming up that you can reveal? What's next?

I'm concentrating on fashion week right now, I'm really looking forward to it, in particular Kirrily Johnson, Carla Zampatti, Romance was Born, Dion Lee and Josh Goot.Then after fashion week I'm going to Paris for a job with a high end label.

• 2 weeks later...