Bellazon

FIFA World Cup 2010

Jade**

^Hey, he can wear whatever shirt he likes the rest of the year (even Lanus or Southampton... :yuckky: ) - if he raises that trophy in the Albicelestes!!!

(Btw - everyone here on the Costa De Almeria seems to think it's a done deal that Spain will win - how's it playing where you are Theron? I thought Spain had finally gotten over that "nearly-man" hump with the last European Cup?)

LATEST HEADLINES

Cole: Angry Capello has an aura

England's players did not see any big cats on their South African safari yesterday - instead it was Three Lions leader Fabio Capello who bared his teeth.

Group G Switzerland v South Korea - World Cup 2006Group G Switzerland v South Korea - World Cup 2006

Frei a major worry for Switzerland

Switzerland coach Ottmar Hitzfeld is anxiously awaiting news from his medical staff on the condition of Alexander Frei after the captain limped out of the team's final training session in Zurich today.

World Cup news: Slovenia

Altitude not a problem for Slovenia

Slovenia defender Marko Suler is confident his team will adapt to the high altitude when their World Cup campaign gets under way in South Africa.

World Cup news: Thomas Sorensen

Sorensen fit for Danish opener

Denmark goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen has declared himself fit for their opening World Cup fixture against Holland on Monday.

Football News: Kanu of Nigeria

Nigeria's Kanu setting his sights high

Nigeria striker Kanu has set his sights on an unlikely World Cup semi-final place.

World Cup News: South Africa Fans

"World Cup a defining moment for hosts"

South African president Jacob Zuma tonight dedicated the first World Cup on African soil to Nelson Mandela.

World Cup news: ChileWorld Cup news: Chile

Friendly: Chile 2-0 New Zealand

Chile's impressive run of form continued with a 2-0 win over New Zealand in Nelspruit today.

World Cup news: FranceWorld Cup news: France

Desailly pleased by French harmony

Former France defender Marcel Desailly believes the mood in Les Bleus' camp is upbeat ahead of their World Cup opener against Uruguay on Friday.

Football News: Kolo ToureFootball News: Kolo Toure

Knowledge is power for Kolo Toure

Ivory Coast defender Kolo Toure is hoping his side's knowledge of Brazilian and Portuguese rivals will come in handy as they look to advance from the World Cup's 'group of death'.

Football News: Wayne RooneyFootball News: Wayne Rooney

Heskey backs Wayne Rooney's appraoch

Emile Heskey has defended Wayne Rooney over his conduct in Monday's practice match against the Platinum Stars.

World Cup news: Joe ColeWorld Cup news: Joe Cole

Capello's faith cheers Joe Cole

Joe Cole is delighted to fall into the arms of a manager who believes in him again.

World Cup news:Florent Malouda, Fabio Cannavaro World Cup news:Florent Malouda, Fabio Cannavaro

Malouda: France have problems!

Florent Malouda admits France have "a lot of problems to fix" before their World Cup campaign gets under way.

World Cup news: Bob BradleyWorld Cup news: Bob Bradley

Bradley: We will make it really hard

Midfielder Michael Bradley has warned England to expect a physical approach from the United States during Saturday's World Cup clash.

World Cup news: GreeceWorld Cup news: Greece

Spyropoulos: Korea is the crunch match

Greece defender Nikos Spyropoulos admits the World Cup opener against South Korea is already "the crunch match".

I plan on watching nearly every game, even though some will be broadcast whilst I'm at work. So I might be out of a job in a few weeks time, which is great cause I'll have even more time to watch the knock-out rounds!
high5.gif

You're a man after my own heart, SS!

South Africa vs Mexico Preview

Carlos Alberto Parreira has warned his South Africa troops of Mexico's threat, a side he calls "the most daring team" at the World Cup.

This ahead of the pair's clash at Soccer City on Friday - the opening game at the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

The two countries kick off the 19th edition of the finals and first ever on the African continent in Johannesburg with plenty of expectation on the host nation.

Never in the history of the World Cup has a home team failed to qualify for the second round, with Bafana Bafana, the second-lowest ranked nation in the 2010 tournament behind North Korea, desperate to maintain that trend.

Although confident, Brazilian coach Parreira expects a difficult opening against Javier Aguirre's men in front of an expected 85,000 crowd.

"As much as the pressure is big, it's a World Cup game, it's sort of a war," he said.

"Opening games are always difficult, there is lots of pressure, the whole country is involved and you are playing under the eyes of the world.

"We want to have fun, we want to enjoy the game.

"I know it's not easy to enjoy the game when you play a team as good as Mexico. They are the most daring team in this World Cup, the way they approach the game."

But the 1994 World Cup-winning coach - he led Brazil to glory that year - is not afraid of the task that awaits his side on matchday one.

He continued: "We respect them, but we are not afraid.

"They have their way, we have ours and the good thing about Bafana Bafana now is this team has an identity, they are confident and they want to deliver.

"We want to make this country proud and we are going to give hell to any team we play."

After facing the Mexicans, the hosts must still battle former world champions Uruguay and France in their bid to qualify from Group A.

On Wednesday, an estimated half a million South Africans took to the streets in all major centres blowing vuvuzelas, sounding their car horns and showing their support for the nation.

It was the sort of party atmosphere associated with winning a tournament rather than kicking one off and Parreira said: "Yes, we were expecting to have two days of calmness and all focus on the game. But also, I can understand.

"In this country football has been sleeping for many years, then suddenly there was a ray of hope with a good performance of the team, the good preparation, the World Cup coming here for the first time and then we had to understand the feelings of the people.

"It's important that this will not contaminate us, in a good sense that is, because we like what we saw. Off course you have to like this kind of support."

Parreira, who heads into the game with his 12-match unbeaten run intact, also revealed he will field an unchanged line-up from the one that took on Denmark in their last warm-up match.

Pele worried about kaka

Brazilian legend Pele says he is concerned by the form of the country's playmaker Kaka heading into the World Cup finals in South Africa.

Kaka was in the squad when Brazil won the 2002 World Cup

Kaka experienced a difficult first season at Real Madrid as he suffered from poor form and a succession of fitness problems. He was overshadowed by fellow new signing Cristiano Ronaldo and will come up against his team-mate in Group G when Brazil face Portugal.

While Brazil coach Dunga has forged a Brazil side that is less dependent on flair than its predecessors, with Ronaldinho failing to make the squad at all, Kaka is the key creative influence on the side and Pele is praying he hits his stride at the finals.

"Kaka worries me," Pele said. "He is very important to our team. He is a key player for our attack and midfield. But God willing he will be in good form."

Pele is somewhat notorious for his poor predictions heading into World Cups but the former striker, who won the competition three times, believes this year that playing beautiful football may not be sufficient to succeed.

"I believe that there are certain teams, Germany, Italy and England, play a certain kind of game - a good game, a strong game," Pele said. "They don't focus on playing the beautiful game, they play a more defensive and decisive game. That is difficult for us to imagine.

"We do have countries and teams playing the beautiful game. I include Spain, Portugal, Holland. Unfortunately in World Cup history it's not always the team that plays beautiful football that wins, this is because the World Cup takes place over a short one-month period, seven games, so it's pretty tough.

"This happened to the Brazil team in 1982. They played a beautiful game but they didn't win, and the same thing happened to Holland in 1974 and 1978. It is not only important to play the beautiful game, it is important to but also to be a champion."

World Cup 2010

South Africa 1 - 1 Mexico

post-6862-0-1445995049-21953_thumb.jpg post-6862-0-1445995049-28408_thumb.jpg post-6862-0-1445995049-30362_thumb.jpg post-6862-0-1445995049-37633_thumb.jpg post-6862-0-1445995049-39011_thumb.jpg

post-6862-0-1445995049-41621_thumb.jpg th_9a797e84099565.jpg/monthly_06_2010/post-6862-0-1445995049-43106_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2502466" alt="post-6862-0-1445995049-43106_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="50.33"> th_92262b84099580.jpg/monthly_06_2010/post-6862-0-1445995049-4579_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2502467" alt="post-6862-0-1445995049-4579_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="69.18">

th_d9e27784099603.jpg/monthly_06_2010/post-6862-0-1445995049-48943_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2502468" alt="post-6862-0-1445995049-48943_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="143.19"> post-6862-0-1445995049-50939_thumb.jpg post-6862-0-1445995049-51443_thumb.jpg post-6862-0-1445995049-52715_thumb.jpg

post-6862-0-1445995049-53228_thumb.jpg post-6862-0-1445995049-55986_thumb.jpg post-6862-0-1445995049-58029_thumb.jpg th_a1602c84099689.jpg/monthly_06_2010/post-6862-0-1445995049-60293_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2502477" alt="post-6862-0-1445995049-60293_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="67.38">

South Africa can count themselves unlucky not to have won that, despite asking for trouble throughout the first half. Had Mexico been a bit more ruthless early on, they might have been out of sight by half time. An enjoyable way to kick off proceedings though, played in a good spirit too. Roll on France and Uruguay. :drool:

post-33415-0-1445995050-28882_thumb.jpg post-33415-0-1445995050-31527_thumb.jpg th_2b138084099728.jpg/emoticons/whistle.gif" alt=":whistle:"> deserved to win that game, great championship opener just what was needed. Siphiwe Tshabalala goal :clap: WOW! I want SA & France to go through in this group, video highlights to come when available ;) .

Nice to see this thread here.

Well, firstly what did you all think of the concert last night? So proud of my country and the spirit of our people for making this event so spectacular. There were moments when we doubted that South Africa could pull it off, BUT WE DID IT and think so far we are rocking!!!

Today most people left work early, almost like an impromptu South African holiday to get home in time for the opening and first game. I am sure that in every country where the World Cup is played there is an awesome spirit. Here in South Africa, it is not just our spirit and excitement it is the wishes and dreams of an entire continent being projected through almost every person on the streets.

Just round the corner from where I live is a fan park. We can hear the vuvuzela's and music all the way from here.

*** cannot resist posting this one here, I know this thread is all about the games though