Bellazon

Accents you like, and accents you don't like

k_dub

You always highlight the wrong parts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whatever the case, this thread that I created has gone WAY OFF TOPIC!!! Since I'm the creator of this thread, I feel it is only right to get back on track about the reason why I created it. Ok, maybe I shouldn't have stereotyped the Brits and Aussies. Neighbors( American spelling) might be a good show, but I wouldn't know since we don't get that show over here in the States. However, that show is NOT THE REASON WHY I CREATED THIS THREAD!!! So please, get back to the topic at hand, accents you like and ones you don't.

P.S. By the way, I shared my thoughts why I don't like English accents, because they sound snooty and arrogant. I also remember that Barry thought that "Brummies are cool". However, this recent survey in England might prove otherwise:

LONDON (AFP) - Don't expect a helping hand in the central English city of Birmingham -- residents there are the rudest people in Britain, a survey claimed.

"Brummies", as they are locally known, were the least likely to pass a series of courtesy tests such as holding the door for someone behind them or stopping to help a person who had dropped their shopping, according to the study by the Reader's Digest.

Residents in Newcastle, northern England, on the other hand, were most polite, followed by inhabitants of Liverpool, in the northwest, and Exeter in the south east.

The Reader's Digest sent undercover "civility inspectors" to eight British cities to test them with a variety of politeness trials.

As well as door-holding and help with dropped shopping, they checked whether shop assistants were well-mannered enough to say "please" and "thank you" and whether drivers thanked those who let them merge into rush hour traffic.

Britons overall were polite 59 percent of the time, while Newcastle residents passed 77 percent of the tests.

In contrast, Birmingham natives managed to show common courtesy on only 43 percent of occasions.

While women were generally more polite than men, chivalry is not dead: 88 percent of men held the door open for a female researcher, compared with only 44 percent of women.

"(British Prime Minister) Tony Blair has made the rebuilding of respect in communities an official priority," said Readers Digest editor-in-chief Katherine Walker.

"Given some of the results of this test, he has his work cut out."

The other cities tested were Cardiff, London, Southampton and Edinburgh.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051021/lf_af...de_051020234826

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brummies are 'cool'. they have a funny but kinda cool accent. it can be hard to understand but i like it nonetheless. btw, the rudeness survey wasn't based on language. i don't get why Brummies wouldn't be 'cool' because of this survey. :blink:

come on, the survey was done by Readers Digest. what do you expect? the Readers Digest is crap, in my view. :laugh:

who's going off topic now with their crappy 'politeness surveys'? :whistle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, Barry. Point taken. :) I knew it was off topic, but I thought it was interesting, plus I didn't know what other thread to put it in, so I chose this one. Now, let's get back to topic at hand, shall we? If anybody is more interested in the ways American accents and the reasons why New Yorkers, Bostonians, Californians, or the way that Southerners and Midwesters talk the way they do, there is an excellent documentary titled, "Do You Speak American?".

• 2 months later...

oh my god i absolutely LOVE the Texas accent and the Louisiana accent and the Alabama accent they r just the best accents in the world.

i also like the Australian accent cuz it just sounds leathal

N the Brithish accent does sound very stuck up but still....i like it.

also i like the welsh accent it just sounds soooooo funny

the scottish accent........what can i say about it?............it is one of my most favourite accents but still a really strong one is still hard for me to understand...lol

n im irish so i dont think i have an accent but i wudnt no......i'd need sumone to tell me..........the Belfast accent.........it is the most annoying fucking accent in the world n ne one who does like it needs their hearing checked..........no offence meant to anyone who does.

I may return to this topic later, to give a more in depth review of accents :), but right now I'd just like to say that Claires accent on Lost is the WORST Aussie accent I've ever heard. It sounds like she should be doing voice work for that episode of the simpsons where they come here (hehe - B-EEER). It is probably closer to a New Zealand accent (which IMO is kinda cool).

On a slightly off-note, but I dont want this thread to turn into a tv thread again - dont you find it funny that only one person on Lost has an aussie accent, and probably 80% have Northern American accents.

I may return to this topic later, to give a more in depth review of accents :), but right now I'd just like to say that Claires accent on Lost is the WORST Aussie accent I've ever heard. It sounds like she should be doing voice work for that episode of the simpsons where they come here (hehe - B-EEER). It is probably closer to a New Zealand accent (which IMO is kinda cool).

On a slightly off-note, but I dont want this thread to turn into a tv thread again - dont you find it funny that only one person on Lost has an aussie accent, and probably 80% have Northern American accents.

1) i don't watch Lost

2) if i watched it it would be in french

sorry but i can't help on that one :laugh:

She's Australian. Perhaps she lives in the US so she's got a kindof American twang or something. If the WORST aussie accent you've ever heard sounds kiwi, then you've never heard a truely shit aussie accent in your life.

1) i don't watch Lost

2) if i watched it it would be in french

sorry but i can't help on that one :laugh:

I don't watch Lost, either. Actually, I thought that Dominic Monaghan's character talked with a Aussie accent. Got confused. Went to http://imdb.com/ and found out he was raised in England.

IX10N, I do agree with you. I'm the creator of this thread and I don't want it turn into a tv thread again, either. We are talking about accents, so it's OK for now.

Edited by k_dub