Bellazon

Best and Worst Classic and Curernt Actresses and Why

68wolff

Thought this might be a interesting discussion topic,

Please list who you think is the best and worst classic and current actresses.

For me:

Best:

Classic: (tie) Brigitte Bardot & Grace Kelly: Both have all around talent and beauty

Current: Diane Lane - Haven't seen a part that she couldn't play

Worst:

Classic - Don't think there is one

Current: Tara Reid - I just don't see any talent in her.

Best

Classic-There are so many actresses I loved from way back when. It is so hard for me to choose.

Today-I do agree about Diane Lane. She really can do anything. However I love Mary Elizabeth Winstead as well. She is also proving she can hold her own and take on a lot of roles.

Worst

Classic-I love Betty Grable, but the girl couldn't act. The thing she will be most remembered for is being the most famous pin-up girl of all time.

Today-Kristen Stewart! Don't even get me started! Whining is not acting and she sure does a lot of it in real life too! If you didn't want to be famous and have the spotlight shine on you then you should have never become an actress or accepted the role of Bella!

It's quite difficult to judge the relative skills of the 'classic' actresses, as acting styles have changed so much. Nowadays some of the melodrama of, say, Vivien Leigh would look out of place - hammy even!

I dare say, that in another fifty years or so, some people might go as far as to think that Paris Hilton can't act. :wacko: Crazy! I mean - can you imagine? How DARE they?!!

Stoopid future people. :laugh:

As for great current actresses, I have to say Julianne Moore. Some actors/actresses turn out one great performance in their career. They get a lot of plaudits, maybe win some awards, the OSCAR even - and people forget the rest of the twaddle they've been in... Julianne Moore pulls it out of the bag all the time (bar 9 Months - the exception that always proves the rule!) and is well overdue for some weighty recognition.

I see your point about acting styles, but let's think about it this way. The classic actresses had to rely on their ability to tell a story where as today's actresses have help to tell a story (i.e. - special effects, computer aided graphics, ect).

Yes, there are exceptions to the rule. I agree about Julianne Moore ( I really like her), she is one of the exceptions and there are very few of them today.

All in all, I really only started this post to see who thought was their best and worst for each era.

Agreed on Julianne Moore, great actress :)

What about young actresses? I mean, really young... Jodie Foster got great reviews after the premiere of Taxi Driver. She was like 12 at the time and she played an underage prostitute. Natalie Portman was also praised for her part in Leon the Professional (she was also around 12, I think, and I agree she was absolutely great in it).

Today-Kristen Stewart! Don't even get me started! Whining is not acting and she sure does a lot of it in real life too!

Amen & alleluia to this!^^ They should use "twilight" movies in acting class to show to the students what NOT to do if u want to be a good actor/tress :whistle:

Michelle Pfeiffer is a great actress (right after Megan of course! :hehe: ) but as I am deeply in love with Michelle :heart: my opinion is maybe biased?

Kate Winslet (Y) (Y) (Y) too!

Oh I have so many favs (Kate Winslet,Reese Witherspoon,Ashley Judd,Julia Roberts,Rachel Mcadams,Charlize,etc..)

but IMO

Jodie Foster tops em ALL :heart: she is absolutely phenomenal.

classic. Im not real familiar w/ them all, but love Vivien Liegh.

worst: (alot of young hollywood comes to mind) :whistle:

can't really pin-point names, there are so many :p